Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

In pictures: The empty railways of America

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,952 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:14 AM

I like old, faded, industrial architecture, and these rail line pictures contain some interesting shots. The idea of rail photos without the trains is quite interesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ctures-40341771

Ed.

#2 Woodcut60

Woodcut60

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains; Amtrak; American Railroad History

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:49 AM

Beautiful photographs! I like those old buildings as well.

Amtrak Routes Traveled: Lake Shore Limited, California Zephyr, San Joaquin, Pacific Surfliner, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Cardinal, Crescent, Sunset Limited, Southwest Chief, Hiawatha, City of New Orleans, Texas Eagle, Heartland Flyer, Missouri River Runner, Lincoln, Wolverine, Northeast Regional, Acela Express, Downeaster, Vermonter, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Capitol Limited, Pennsylvanian, Amtrak Cascades.

Other Routes in North America: Denali Star (Alaska Railroad), The Ocean (Halifax, NS-Montréal, QC), Corridor Montréal-Toronto, The Canadian (Toronto, ON-Vancouver, BC).

Amtrak: approx. 25,000 miles and 47 states.

VIA Rail Canada: approx. 4,300 miles and eight provinces.

#3 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,052 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:29 AM

These are great. Thank you for sharing the link.

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#4 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,134 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:15 PM

At first I assumed this was about abandoned rails but I only saw one photo of an obviously unused line.  The rest all appeared to be live to me.  I've seen more train photos than I could possibly remember, but it's interesting to see the trains vanish and the tracks take a back seat to the areas around them.  Along with the absence of trains there were no people either, giving the photos a calm but also slightly eerie feel to them. Pretty interesting set all around.  Makes me wish I had the eye of a photographer.

Additional photos and fewer compression artifacts can be found here: http://john-sanderso...lroadlandscape/

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 01 October 2017 - 12:23 PM.

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#5 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,052 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:34 PM

At first I assumed this was about abandoned rails but I only saw one photo of an obviously unused line.  The rest all appeared to be live to me.  I've seen more train photos than I could possibly remember, but it's interesting to see the trains vanish and the tracks take a back seat to the areas around them.  Along with the absence of trains there were no people either, giving the photos a calm but also slightly eerie feel to them. Pretty interesting set all around.  Makes me wish I had the eye of a photographer.

Additional photos and fewer compression artifacts can be found here: http://john-sanderso...lroadlandscape/

I'd like to purchase prints of some of those. I didn't see a link on his site, though.

Edited by SarahZ, 01 October 2017 - 12:34 PM.

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users