Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

How about Congress trying Amtrak Diner Service for a few Months?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Larry H.

Larry H.

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:09 PM

Reading all the issues with the dinning service on many long distance trains I was tempted to say Congress should be eating exactly what is available on Amtrak. Since this mess is their's they should get to enjoy it for a while.  Somehow I think it would quickly restore the chef and waiter to the dinners?  Just wondering. 

#2 Maglev

Maglev

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:29 PM

Many Amtrak long-distance trains still have chefs and waiters.

I don't think the food on Amtrak is bad.  Sure, it could be better, and many of the reasons it is not better are political.  But on a cross-country trip in January (23 meals on board), the only "bad" food I had was a tasteless blueberry bar in my boxed breakfast on the Portland section of the Empire Builder (and that is from an outside caterer in Montana).  I have heard a lot of "horror" stories about poor food quality in the diner-lounge on the Cardinal, but in fact the salmon I had for dinner on that train was very good.

Northeast corridor Heritage, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

#3 LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:31 PM

Maybe this is an ignorant (as in lack of knowledge) thing to say, but I don't think that Congress has the right or responsibility to tell Amtrak how to spend the money that is given to it.    I feel that Amtrak should come up with more efficient ways to spend the money without sacrificing employees or passenger services.    Then we might just see diner service restored to all LD trains.   

Now, if Congress DOES have a say in how Amtrak spends its funds, then that's an entirely different matter.   And I don't feel I'm qualified to offer an opinion on that.................

"And you know that notion just crossed my mind............"

#4 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:20 PM

Probably most congress persons do not have an idea of what standard Amtrak food service is like.  They ride Acelas and that food service especially in first class is reported to be good.  + you know some congressional aide is going to notify Amtrak whenever their congress person is on board.  It certainly happens on my airline flights !  Note:  Food is always better even for crew.

Note: used to carry a certain east coast senator to Washington on Sundays and we had food service that was great on those days.

Edited by west point, 23 September 2017 - 10:23 PM.

#5 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:58 PM

As long as the food is "edible", the limited money Amtrak gets IMO should be better spend on expanding service, getting more cars, etc and not on improving food service. Getting better Amtrak steaks isn't going to help the people who can't afford to pay the $25 to buy them (probably would be more than $25 if it's a better steak) or the cost of a roomette.

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#6 cassie225

cassie225

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:57 AM

I do understand,but part of the experience of riding amtrak for me is the food.

#7 capltd29

capltd29

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Medicine, Trains, Aviation

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:46 PM

Not that I don't wish Amtrak had amazing food and more frequencies and amazing equipment, but I truly doubt that more than a handful of congresspeople on either side really care much about it. There are dozens of underfunded programs that would benefit from more funding. The perceived food quality on Amtrak is so close to the bottom of our country's priorities in the overall scheme, that I really doubt they care.
not rich enough for a tax cut...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users