Pacific Surfliner schedule changes effective October 9, 2017

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ParanoidAndroid

OBS Chief
As of September 21, 2017, Amtrak has yet to release its new Pacific Surfliner schedule for October onwards, but searching via the ticket buyer will reveal these changes.

The new schedule seems to be effective from Monday, October 9, 2017. It is strange that Amtrak hasn't put out any official notification, though. Also, I can't book some parts of the Pacific Surfliner from November 27 onwards. Maybe this means something?

Notes:

1. 790 and 1790 have been truncated to Los Angeles, and are renumbered 590 and 1588 respectively, with 590 operating on weekdays, and 1588 operating on weekends.

2. 784 has been truncated to Los Angeles, and is renumbered 584.

3. 582 and 592 have been extended to Goleta, and are renumbered 782 and 792, respectively.

4. 796 has been extended to San Luis Obispo.

5. 761 and 1761 have been truncated to Goleta.

6. 763 has been extended to San Luis Obispo.

7. Trains no longer stop at Carlsbad-Poinsettia or Encinitas.

8. The trains that stop at Moorpark and Camarillo have changed.

10. Thruway buses have changed to meet the change in train schedules (or vice versa?)

11. All schedules have otherwise slightly changed from previous schedules.

Attached are .pdf spreadsheets with the new schedules.

The time for 763 at Goleta is most likely an error.

Pac-Surf Southbound Oct. 9 2017.pdf

Pac-Surf Northbound Oct. 9 2017.pdf

Attachments

• Pac-Surf Southbound Oct. 9 2017.pdf
    38.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Pac-Surf Northbound Oct. 9 2017.pdf
    38.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited by a moderator:
As of September 21, 2017, Amtrak has yet to release its new Pacific Surfliner schedule for October onwards, but searching via the ticket buyer will reveal these changes.

The new schedule seems to be effective from Monday, October 9, 2017. It is strange that Amtrak hasn't put out any official notification, though. Also, I can't book some parts of the Pacific Surfliner from November 27 onwards. Maybe this means something?

Notes:

1. 790 and 1790 have been truncated to Los Angeles, and are renumbered 590 and 1588 respectively, with 590 operating on weekdays, and 1588 operating on weekends.

3. 582 and 592 have been extended to Goleta, and are renumbered 782 and 792, respectively.

10. Thruway buses have changed to meet the change in train schedules (or vice versa?)

attachicon.gif

attachicon.gif
There's a permissions issue with the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Notes:

attachicon.gif

attachicon.gif
There's a permissions issue with the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
No problems here viewing the links.

Evening rush hour commuters out of LAX will like the 784->584 change, since 784 was frequently late. 584 will now have a dependable departure time.

With the switch of 784 to 782, I wish they would have kept 790 in order to evenly space southbound trains north of LAX every three hours or so. By switching 790 to 792, there is now a gap of over four hours between 782 and 792, and only two hours or so between 792 and 796. There is also a southbound Starlight in there, too, granted it's not a state subsidized service and not always on time.

Evening rush hour commuters out of LAX will like the 784->584 change, since 784 was frequently late. 584 will now have a dependable departure time.

With the switch of 784 to 782, I wish they would have kept 790 in order to evenly space southbound trains north of LAX every three hours or so. By switching 790 to 792, there is now a gap of over four hours between 782 and 792, and only two hours or so between 792 and 796. There is also a southbound Starlight in there, too, granted it's not a state subsidized service and not always on time.
790/1790 was chronically late. It looks like a lot of the changes are to trains that had issues with timely arrival.

790 was chronically late because it originated in SLO, and was the turned around from outbound 761 in the morning -- double whammy. Having 790 originate in Goleta should reduce its lateness, but there wouldn't be enough turn around time from outbound 769 as scheduled. Bummer.

I'm disappointed because I am a somewhat regular 784 rider.

790 was chronically late because it originated in SLO, and was the turned around from outbound 761 in the morning -- double whammy. Having 790 originate in Goleta should reduce its lateness, but there wouldn't be enough turn around time from outbound 769 as scheduled. Bummer.

I'm disappointed because I am a somewhat regular 784 rider.
Yep, it only had 35/55 minutes to turn around at SLO. Now 763 will turn to 796 at SLO with 105 minutes there.

I personally would have preferred for 792 to be extended to SLO, so there's an earlier option for getting to SD rather than only 1am (the only earlier one is 774, leaving SLO before 7am).

A later departure out of SLO is probably better for people going to Santa Barbara or LA, though. I'd guess that's the majority of the riders. Gives them more time in SLO -- you could pretty much work a full day there before heading south.

It makes it an impractically tight connection from SLO to the Berdoo Metrolink line -- one minute, although they might adjust the schedule. An Antelope Valley line connection could still be made via Glendale.

I think they've given up on the Coast Starlight as a practical local transportation option, which makes sense given its on time problems, limited stops and (I gotta say it :) bicycle unfriendliness. It's a mixed blessing for me, because it takes away what was usually a better option than the CS for getting from Salinas (and points north) to the LA area earlier (and more reliably). On the other hand, if it means I can catch a thruway around 1pm and get to Burbank with a bicycle, it could be an improvement.

Another positive is that the change leaves a great big hole in the middle of the day that could nicely plugged by the Coast Daylight :).

Thanks! There were some minor changes to Metrolink's schedule (link below), but unfortunately not the last connection to San Bernardino. That'll still be a one minute connection, if it's possible at all. But if they can make that work, there will be no loss of east or northbound connections out of LA.

The new thruway connection -- 11:40am out of San Jose and 12:45pm out of Salinas -- is more practical. It'll only cost half a day to make the trip.

They did a good job with this. It's a real improvement.

https://www.metrolinktrains.com/globalassets/schedules/all-lines-timetable---oct-7.pdf

Back