Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Capitol Limited/Pennsylvanian Expansion

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,534 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:32 AM

If Amtrak adds another train through Pittsburgh, what are the chances that the city would improve the existing station which could attract even more passengers. Pittsburgh could benefit from daylight calling times in Ohio.

The station in Pittsburgh is still there, as are the tracks, Trouble is that most of it is now apartments. The beautiful great station hall is now the apartment house lobby. Point is that Amtrak doesn't own it and the basement waiting room has little if any room for expansion. Although its ugly, its sufficient for its current use. 

I searched in vain for some good interior photo's of the Pittsburgh station when it was in its prime...plenty of outside shots, but only one small slice of the interior....anyone have any links to photo's?

I do recall the station main level during the late 60's, including the time that Continental Trailways started sharing its space...the buses would drive up and load in the Rotunda...

IIRC, the station at one time had escalator's and stairways to a lower level area, that was long out of use by the time I was there....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#42 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:02 PM

I know my father took pictures when we went to the station when we traveled or picked up relatives, but so far I have not been able to find any.  My Grandparents came twice a year on the PRR from NYP.  My father traveled on business many times on the train.  I remember station being huge and grand as a kid.  It would be nice if the city reworked arrangement's for the current station so Amtrak could have a nice facility.  I know the station seems to be landlocked, but creative minds have done more with less.

#43 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,534 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:31 PM

I still can't help thinking about the 'sealed off' lower level....I am not sure of what it was ever used for, somewhere I heard that the 'Panhandle Route' trains operated from there, but I recall leaving on the Spirit of St. Louis, and even Amtrak's National Limited from the upper (main) level, IIRC.... :unsure:

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users