Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Capitol Limited/Pennsylvanian Expansion

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 JDStutts

JDStutts

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:25 PM

Don't you think that Amtrak should make a new line that runs on the Capitol Limited and Pennsylvanian tracks from Chicago to New York? It would be faster and more direct than the Lake Shore Limited.

#2 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,744 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:23 PM

Not only do many think so, so does Amtrak and a proposal to do so has been on the back burner for a long time now.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#3 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:37 PM

The time to complete the route would be roughly the same as the Lake Shore Limited due to the mountains, but I am still a strong supporter of such a route. The most likely near-term scenario is thru-cars between the Capitol Limited and Pennsylvanian. If a new train were to be instituted, however, I believe it should run overnight between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh to provide a unique schedule between the East Coast and Chicago. This would also provide daylight service to Ohio and potentially Michigan if it was routed that way. The only area with poor times would be during the overnight segment, but that area already has the Pennsylvanian during daylight hours. Such a train would not connect to the Western LDs, but that market is small enough that a 4th east coast to Chicago train should operate on a dramatically different schedule than the other three to provide more options. People who are connecting west of Chicago would still have the option to connect in Pittsburgh just like today.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app
Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SJC-LAX, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB MSP-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS-ALB, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-DNC, SM ORL-NYP, SS FTL-WAS
New Routes: LSL NYP-CHI, CZ CHI-RIC, CS SJC-SEA, EB SEA-MSP

#4 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:05 PM

I suspect that a day train to Ohio, particularly Cleveland, would be packed.

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#5 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:27 AM

IMO, what would probably work best is the reactivation of the old Broadway LTD route that ran on the Pennsylvania RR  mainline to CHI. Since its rebuilding as a freight line there is another clear route available from PGH to CHI. That's the old line that ran through Crestline, Sandusky, Ft Wayne, & Valpariso. Many of the stations are still there. Ft Wayne station has even been restored and is ready for service.

#6 benale

benale

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:49 AM

Cleveland has four trains all calling the overnight hours. Of course it would make sense for one train to stop in the daytime both directions. How about a train leaving from Philly early in the morning to ensure arrival on Ohio in the afternoon .Going East a morning departure from Chicago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Amtrak Forum mobile app

#7 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:42 PM

Benate has the correct idea.  Early morning departures from PHL and CHI seem a good idea.  As well will have a connection from present early morning WASH - NYP train and the night owl from  BOS <>- NYP.<> PHL.  So lets get the additional equipment.

Edited by west point, 26 October 2017 - 12:44 PM.

#8 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 04:27 PM

Cleveland has four trains all calling the overnight hours. Of course it would make sense for one train to stop in the daytime both directions. How about a train leaving from Philly early in the morning to ensure arrival on Ohio in the afternoon .Going East a morning departure from Chicago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Amtrak Forum mobile app

All Aboard Ohio proposed that in January 2016 (http://freepdfhostin.../cf26514bc8.pdf). Look at page 18, schedule 41 westbound and schedule 40 eastbound. The trains travel via Dearborn and Ann Arbor as well. This is in addition to 43 and 42 which are the Pennsylvanian extended to Chicago. So I would get TWO trains to Chicago. You wonder why I love AAO so much.

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#9 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:35 PM

Have Amtrak get enough passenger equipment and a couple more switchers.  Then combine the Pennsylvanian at Pittsburg and go to Toledo  then split with part going to Detroit to provide MI service.  Rest of combined train follow present Capitol.  now how the cars would be allocated will of course depend on the various demands and may have to be adjusted after 3 or 4 months.

Edited by west point, 26 October 2017 - 08:36 PM.

#10 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,237 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 28 October 2017 - 03:53 PM

Having a through train combine and separate at two (or more) locations is a recipe for timekeeping disaster, IMHO....

Although it has been done in the past...such as the Cardinal's predecessor (George Washington), as well as the UP's "City of Everywhere", and some other's...but those were in a different era, with a different environment for passenger train operations...

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#11 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 05:30 PM

Having a through train combine and separate at two (or more) locations is a recipe for timekeeping disaster, IMHO....

Although it has been done in the past...such as the Cardinal's predecessor (George Washington), as well as the UP's "City of Everywhere", and some other's...but those were in a different era, with a different environment for passenger train operations...

Was the GW before or during the Amtrak era? Was there ever an Amtrak train that had two or more splits?

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#12 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,176 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:57 PM

There was a George Washington paired with James Whitcomb Riley in the early Amtrak era. As I recall it was a phenomenal CF.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#13 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:01 PM

Prior to Amtrak, the C&O George Washington, Washington and Newport News section's combined at Charlottesville. At Huntington, cars to Detroit were split, at Ashland, Ky., the Louiville section was split off.  And at Cincinnati, thru cars were conveyed to  B&O's National Limited to St. Louis, and NYC's James Whitcomb Riley to Chicago, IIRC. There were other sleepers set out or picked up at Richmond, and perhaps some other stations from time to time.

In the early Amtrak era, the George Washington still split and combined sections at Charlottesville, but that was all, although it did go thru to Chicago...Later on,now called the James Whitcomb Riley, it combined with the Mountaineer at Ashland...by that time, the Newport News section was dropped, and Tidewater passengers went to Norfolk instead.  Later still, the Mountaineer ended, and the Boston to TriState Station (Catlettsburg), Hilltopper,  "connected" (long layover), with the by now named Cardinal train.   No thru cars...   It also connected for a time with the Shenandoah at Cincinnati, again, no thru cars...

The National Limited, New York and Washington sections combined at Harrisburg, and at Kansas City, a thru Los Angeles sleeper was conveyed to the Southwest Limited...similar to the Crescent/Sunset route at New Orleans....

There may have been some other cases, if you want to spend time researching, look here....http://www.timetables.org/catalog/

Edited by railiner, 28 October 2017 - 07:02 PM.

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#14 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:05 PM

There was a George Washington paired with James Whitcomb Riley in the early Amtrak era. As I recall it was a phenomenal CF.

The main issue in that era was the deplorable rail condition in Indiana on the Penn Central lines....both the Cardinal and the Floridian were constantly re-routed in search of better track...

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#15 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:08 PM

This poster's proposal on multiple splits would require a much better time keeping than now.  But that may happen in the future ?

#16 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,176 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:39 PM

After we install Hyperloop everywhere, maybe . Just heard that my train will be indefinitely delayed due to a train ahead of it striking a trespasser.

#17 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,744 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:19 AM

All that splitting was really only possible before Amtrak took over actually operating the trains.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#18 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 10:45 AM

For a number of reasons....there was of course, much more passenger equipment, much more mechanical forces at various location, more than one-a-day trains on many routes, so that if a train section was seriously delayed, they had alternate trains to forward late trains on, etc....and certainly not least....the railroads operating the passenger trains, in general, had a much better attitude towards their operation.

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#19 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,278 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:37 AM

For a number of reasons....there was of course, much more passenger equipment, much more mechanical forces at various location, more than one-a-day trains on many routes, so that if a train section was seriously delayed, they had alternate trains to forward late trains on, etc....and certainly not least....the railroads operating the passenger trains, in general, had a much better attitude towards their operation.

And Railroaders took pride in their Line and their jobs!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#20 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:44 AM

And Railroaders took pride in their Line and their jobs!

Actually, whether all admit to it, or not....I think they still do....its the management mostly, that doesn't.... ;)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users