Harpers Ferry

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulDobbs

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I will be going to Harpers Ferry in about a week. In looking over the station online, it appears that there are two platforms with a tunnel between them. The last time I went through there on my way to WAS, it appeared that the eastbound train was using the left hand track, and therefore, the north platform, away from the station, which would seem to imply that the westbound train would use the south platform, next to the station. Does anyone know if this is consistent? I would like to know in advance which platform to wait on for the westbound train.

I lived in Harpers Ferry from 2002-2010. Back then it would be normal protocol for westbound passengers to go under the tunnel on the station side and use the tracks on the platform across from the station. I doubt this protocol has changed. However there were occasions when westbound passengers did have the train arrive on the station side. When that happens the conductors make it a point to alert the passengers on the opposite platform to proceed to the train via the tunnel. There was a fool proof way to determine the exact location of the arriving train by looking at the traffic signal posts. Unfortunately I can not remember the way to do so. Anyway you should be fine regardless.

P.S. My avatar is the Harpers Ferry train station. You might be able to view the tunnel on the station side.

Last edited by a moderator:
At Harpers Ferry, the Westbound CL will board on the platform at the end of the connecting tunnel side. That platform is not on the station side. On occasion when there is track work or when Amtrak must go around a slow or stopped freight Westbound trains will board on the station side but this is rare. Harpers Ferry station has an announcement board that should tell you when the train will arrive and IIRC where to board.

Report on actual events: When I arrived on the EB CL on Thursday, I got off on the north side and had to use the tunnel. Today (Sunday 10/1/17), the WB CL was also on the north track, so I had to use the tunnel again. The electronic announcement board displayed info about a MARC train on Thursday after I got off, but on Sunday, it displayed nothing but the date and time. There was no information displayed on the CL. Judging by a sign on the door, the station building belongs to the National Park Service, presumably a part of the Harpers Ferry National Historical Park. The waiting rooms are open, but according to the sign, the building closes as 5 PM, before the scheduled time of the WB CL.

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

Back