Sorry, a third question in quick succession... now about Raton

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6862

Engineer
The answer to this question could be a route changer, it's about bags and Raton, NM station.

Have read the info about the station and baggage facilities or should that be lack of them completely, so know there is no baggage service at all. We may train into Raton and continue to Denver on a Thruway Bus, there are 3 buses at different times for this journey. Now a couple of years ago we nearly stayed in Raton for a day or so, just because we thought it could be a good idea, can't remember why now. The new possibility of spending more than an hour there appeals and the 3 daily buses give us the opportunity of hanging around for maybe 5 or 6 hours but...

If we travel to Raton we will have 3 or 4 bags, not big but too big to lug all around for long so difficult to walk around to take a look at the town. Has anyone ever managed to store a bag or two there while waiting for the next transport to arrive? The second question is how probable is it that a small tip would allow us to leave bags in the station while we visit the town? BTW, the station is open all day until 5:30pm and that would suit us fine.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
If there is no station feedback, I guess it might be an option to take your bags and leave them at a small business in Raton? I am thinking maybe a coffee shop or such, or is there a hotel near the station, might be worth investigating, you could email those places in advance, mentioning a small fee, :D they can only say no...

Ed

The Raton station is only staffed in the summer (which, in this case, roughly means for the duration of summer activities at the Philmont Scout Ranch). When it is staffed, the historic but otherwise decrepit old station is opened up for the use of passengers. In conjunction with this a mini-Amshack serves as a ticket office. This provides the only secure storage available on site.

Several years ago I had occasion to do the Raton-Denver Southwest Chief service provided by Greyhound (dba "Amtrak Thruway Shuttle"). I arrived in mid-morning on a Sunday and the scheduled bus wasn't due to depart until 5:20 that afternoon. It was a loooong wait, since on a Sunday, most everything was shut tighter than a miser's purse---save for a couple of local businesses offering refreshments and souvenirs for the scouts attending Philmont Ranch who were hoping to capitalize on the traffic from the station. This wasn't very substantial and other than something like chips and soft drinks, nothing consumable was available for purchase.

The shining star in this otherwise bleak scenario was the staffing agent, 'Cheryl', who was normally (at that time) the agent-in-charge at Lamy NM, but was commissioned into service for Raton during that summer. To date, she is the nicest Amtrak employee I've ever met and the one all employees should strive to emulate. There was another couple (retirees) waiting for the other train as I was waiting for the bus. She had a Chevrolet Suburban and offered to take us anywhere in town we wanted to go, from Kmart/Walmart/etc to a dining establishment. We finally decided to go to lunch at a restaurant she recommended on the condition that the couple would buy her lunch and I would cover the gratuity for all. We had a perfectly lovely time which ended way too soon for the wait the three of us were enduring. I spent some of the rest of the time wandering around the mostly closed downtown and when I returned, she informed me that she moved my bags into the mini-Amshack from the historic station. (I wasn't worried about leaving anything unattended there on a Sunday afternoon, but apparently she thought it important enough or else just desired to provide a certain level of service.) After the last train arrived and departed Raton, her duties were done and she allowed me to retrieve my bags and then locked the station, assuring me that the bus would arrive at the stated time (she may even have called Greyhound dispatch to ensure that it was en route) and then bid me adieu.

This was a bright spot in an otherwise less-than-charming experience (particularly given the New Mexico heat in the summer), but I realized that it wouldn't be an option normally for those transiting through Raton. There are currently three buses which serve Raton in the afternoon, but I wouldn't count on necessarily being able to utilize the one of your choice. In order to book the bus along with your train ticket, you will need to use Amtrak's reservation system, which may have only one or two travel options. (Alternately, you can book travel with Greyhound separately. The bus usually at least makes a quick stop in Raton to see if any passengers are waiting who have booked since the last manifest was printed in Albuquerque.)

Raton is a perfectly lovely place to visit, but is best experienced under the guise of having your own transportation. Downtown is where the station is, but most of the amenities in town (including most hotels) are on the outskirts, by the Interstate highway. I'm sure there is a taxi service which serves the area, but that is the extent of easy 'public' transportation. Were I traveling without my own transportation and with luggage, I would endeavor to spend as little time in Raton as possible, particularly during times of unseasonable weather.

Wow! what a reply, thank you.

I think that the fact that Cheryl had such a positive and lasting effect on you makes your visit to Raton a good one in my book, and thank you again for painting such a vivid picture.

Ed, as always appreciate your input

ps: Are you implying that a visit in mid March would not guarantee the station would be open all day even though it's listed as such?

When I came from Denver to Raton a few years ago, a gift shop and snack bar directly across the street from the train station also served as the Greyhound station. ( don't recall the name of the store ). The gent there was very hospitable. The Raton part of the bus trip was fine; what I did not like was the early morning departure from Denver with no staff to assist or provide information.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Just a tid mit off the subject of the Raton station per se, but what is the latest on the passenger line across western Kansas, Southeast CO and north central NM, including Raton? I know it was threatened at one time then I heard some funding was released for improvements but it's been a while since I've heard anthing. Is this Southwest Chief line safe now?

Regards,

Fred M. cain

ps: Are you implying that a visit in mid March would not guarantee the station would be open all day even though it's listed as such?
Yes. If you go to the station page for Raton on www.amtrak.com, there's a disclaimer banner which states that staffing is seasonal during the summer months only, even though the 'Hours' tab somewhat implies that the station is open on a daily basis. What should be included in the latter section is a "(seasonal)" notation. As far as I know, outside of the summer months, not only is the station unstaffed but neither the historic station nor the ticket office is open at all outside of that time frame. [This is in contrast to other stations which are owned & operated by the freight railroads for which Amtrak has a lease agreement to allow their passengers to utilize the building as a shelter, if nothing else.]

The buses that run from Raton to Denver are Greyhound buses. ONLY that specific bus that meets the Southwest Chief pulls into the station parking lot! All others depart from the Greyhound terminal.

So even if you could leave your bags at the station, you would need to return to the station to collect your bags and then proceed to the Greyhound location.

I don't know the location, but maybe you can leave them there? :huh:

The buses that run from Raton to Denver are Greyhound buses. ONLY that specific bus that meets the Southwest Chief pulls into the station parking lot! All others depart from the Greyhound terminal.

So even if you could leave your bags at the station, you would need to return to the station to collect your bags and then proceed to the Greyhound location.

I don't know the location, but maybe you can leave them there? :huh:
The Greyhound station and the Amtrak station in RAT may now be one and the same. I took the official Amtrak Thruway Shuttle connecting the Southwest Chief to Denver on Monday of this week, utilizing the temporary connection in Albuquerque. The Greyhound driver made a cursory stop in Raton at the Amtrak station to check if any previously unticketed passengers were waiting. This would have been unnecessary for Amtrak passengers, since anyone making the connection via AMTK would have had to do so in Albuquerque during the temporary "reroute". So, it would have only been done for the convenience of Greyhound passengers.

June thru August is the busy time at Raton with small to large contingents of Boy Scouts arriving or departing daily, each with a very large backpack for their two weeks at the Scout Ranch. This is why the baggage service is summer only.

Back