Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triley

Real Lead Service Attendant
For those who didn't know, Dunkin Donuts coffee has been being served on the Acelas for close to a year now, and we have been slowly starting to serve it in more Regional Cafes, until today where the equipment has been installed on all Regional Cafes, and it's being marketed as such.

Such got an email from Dunkin Donuts which I was a little surprised to see, but is a good thing. The link below is provided for those interested in the ad.

http://view.email.dunkindonuts.com/?qs=763ec31a4443b1cf43aba4b9f80a3af61fbf1de5924e3065116e8abf54d63721c39f2cb1fbff65a77bbbbadc237332d2

Is this good or bad?

I recently tried the coffee at a Dunkin Donuts location near me; and it tasted like hot water. Maybe there is more than one version?

The Dunkin Donuts regular blend is pretty popular. They did add Dark Roast as an option at the stores, but space is less of a consideration there so an additional setup is less of an issue than the counter of a cafe car.. Like any coffee, it can be ruined by bad water, dirty equipment, or poor preparation.

This came with a price increase on the Acela to $3.50. Not sure if there is a different new price on the Regional. Coffee was previously $2.

This came with a price increase on the Acela to $3.50. Not sure if there is a different new price on the Regional. Coffee was previously $2.
I won't be returning to work to find out the damage until Friday, but I believe the Regionals are going to be $3. You're also getting an extra 2oz of coffee, that's better quality. Whether or not that's worth another dollar, that's up to you. I don't like hot coffee, so I can't judge.

I had shared this story on a couple of Amtrak FB pages and one person brought up the fact that (at least at this point) DD coffee wouldn't be offered on LD trains (or donuts, for that matter).

What I'm thinking is that Amtrak is expanding DD's presence on its Regional trains as a way of "testing the waters". To me, it would make more sense to introduce DD offerings a little bit a time, as opposed to offering everything up front on ALL trains and then taking things away if it doesn't work out. I think the latter scenario would cause more ire among passengers (many of whom are AU members!) than the former.

I had shared this story on a couple of Amtrak FB pages and one person brought up the fact that (at least at this point) DD coffee wouldn't be offered on LD trains (or donuts, for that matter).

What I'm thinking is that Amtrak is expanding DD's presence on its Regional trains as a way of "testing the waters". To me, it would make more sense to introduce DD offerings a little bit a time, as opposed to offering everything up front on ALL trains and then taking things away if it doesn't work out. I think the latter scenario would cause more ire among passengers (many of whom are AU members!) than the former.
It's a large undertaking to install new equipment on every single food service company wide, and it's far from cheap. We were told $1000/machine. So better to take it slow and steady.

DD donuts will never be offered. There would be no way to keep them fresh, so there would be way too much waste. DD is very protective over their brand, so I can guarantee you the donuts would only be allowed to be sold for one day, then they'd be trash (even Munchkins).

Krispey Kreme went in a different direction and added a few small wrapped items (pies honey buns, and 6 shooter packs of juniors) to their grocery/convenience store lines. Sort of defeats the concept of the fresher product.

Dunkin Donuts doesn't make coffee, they make a light brown water they claim to be coffee. They are almost as bad as Starbucks. Try New England.

DD donuts will never be offered. There would be no way to keep them fresh, so there would be way too much waste. DD is very protective over their brand, so I can guarantee you the donuts would only be allowed to be sold for one day, then they'd be trash (even Munchkins).
I know thinking outside the box isn't really allowed, but if only Dunkin Donuts had locations in places like Miami, Savannah, and Charlotte where fresh donuts could be resupplied.....

I understand your point, of course.

Oh, and guys, thanks for ruining my diet. I know where I'm going for breakfast in the morning. :)

I'd be so pumped if I could get a Sausage McMuffin on the Wolverine.
Oddly enough, I have many people ask for the Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwich by asking for the "Sausage McMuffin" or "Egg McMuffin".
I keep forgetting they have those. I never buy food on the morning Wolverine because I stop at McDonald's for a Sausage McMuffin first. :D There is a McDonald's across from my local station, so lots of people load up on McJunkFood before boarding.

I have stopped at DD for coffee when doing lots of driving. ALways found their coffee good. Late afternoons, I would ask when the coffee was made last, many times they would brew a new pot.

I know thinking outside the box isn't really allowed, but if only Dunkin Donuts had locations in places like Miami, Savannah, and Charlotte where fresh donuts could be resupplied.....

I understand your point, of course.

Oh, and guys, thanks for ruining my diet. I know where I'm going for breakfast in the morning. :)
I think the point is that DD could load up a Silver with donuts in Miami, but they would need to stay "fresh" until that particular train set returned back to Miami.

Where's Wawas when you need them? Or Tim Hortons? I would pay $3 for coffee from either of them, but not Dunkin Donuts. I actually liked the Amtrak coffee, whatever brand it was.

Will the coffee still be complimentary in business class?

McDonalds? Cricket, don't you guys have Hardee's or at least Chik-Fil-A out there?
Chick-fil-A? That would mean no trains running on Sundays, and no hiring of "those" kind of people.
I admit I don't like their hiring practices or politics (if a place wants to close on Sunday, that is their prerogative). But they offer food that is decent and cheap, as opposed to inedible and cheap (McDonalds), or inedible and expensive (Wawa, Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, et al.) Hardee's however is good, cheap, and treats their employees well (at least my local one does).

Back