Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

NW mudslide season 2017-18

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:56 PM

Meanwhile, the Puget Sound area is under a flood watch. Things can get interesting here...

Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, California Zephyr, SP4449 excursion 2015
Current Amtrak mileage: 29716 miles

#22 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,421 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:05 PM

There were several slope stabilization actions in areas from Kelso to Vancouver WA, which is the part of the Portland-Seattle line most prone to mudslides.  It's not nearly as prone to mudslides as the Seattle-Everett section, so a lot less work has a lot more impact.  IIRC they did something in the Nisqually area too, but I might be wrong.

The BC government did push CBSA to not be idiots, but they haven't put a penny into track improvements.  Consensus for a long time has been that White Rock needs an inland bypass and something has to be done to improve the Fraser River bridge.  On the US side, the Bellingham track and station improvements stalled out and didn't happen.  Sound Transit can't get permission from BNSF to run North Sounder on a reasonable schedule -- all the slots are right next to each other -- but they aren't doing anything to change that (presumably BNSF would want extra sidings somewhere or something).

I'm probably being a bit pessimistic about the northern end, and I'm sure Sound Transit would love to improve North Sounder service.  But it really has stalled out compared to the south-of-Seattle service.  And that "base of the cliffs" route from Interbay to Everett is just *terrible* -- it's just going to get worse as the years go on.  They'll never catch up.

Bluntly the other two cross-border services have suffered from the chill between the US and Canada too.  The Maple Leaf has probably suffered the worst.  But attempts to get preclearance for the Adirondack have suffered specifically due to the US government making overbearing and abusive demands on the Canadian government, which although supported by the government, are opposed by many Canadian MPs.

Donald Trump's unconstitutional decision to illegally search the private documents of people crossing the border is why you are never going to get preclearance at Montreal:

http://nationalpost....extreme-vetting

Edited by neroden, 20 October 2017 - 12:14 PM.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#23 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:18 PM

We have the Pineapple Express hitting the US West Coast. Wonder how all the effects of it will play out.

Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, California Zephyr, SP4449 excursion 2015

#24 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,213 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 05:02 AM

North of Bellingham. Affects only Seattle to Vancouver BC service.

http://www.king5.com...m/281-512708126

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#25 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,213 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 11:15 AM

This will affect Seattle-Vancouver, BC service, and the Empire Builder. http://www.king5.com...e/281-513800634

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#26 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:38 PM

We haven't ran service north of Bellingham since 516 on Monday. I have feeling I won't be running 516 north of Bellingham on Sunday either. But we'll see what mother nature holds.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Amtrak Forum mobile app

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#27 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 01:30 PM

And I was right. No service today at all. Mudslide around Everett, and it sounds like there's a potential washout around Bellingham. So no bus bridges today. And something unusual is going to happen to the Superliner set too.

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#28 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,421 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:29 PM

This is all so third-world.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#29 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:50 AM

Since Amtrak deals with NW mudslides on an annual basis, might be worth to merge all mudslides threads into one, simply call it "NW Mudslide Seasons", and pinning it. Also, no service between SEA and EVR until at least Tuesday, unless more bucket-fulls slide.

#30 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:11 AM

Since Amtrak deals with NW mudslides on an annual basis, might be worth to merge all mudslides threads into one, simply call it "NW Mudslide Seasons", and pinning it. Also, no service between SEA and EVR until at least Tuesday, unless more bucket-fulls slide.

We were bussed the entire way between Vancouver and Seattle, and we're doing the same for this morning. No idea about what's going on with the evening train though.

Also, the Superliner set I was suppose to work (which is held captive to trains 516/519) was used to run 517 yesterday and should be 504 today. I don't know if 517's original equipment ever made it in from Vancouver yesterday. It wasn't in the question when I got in to Vancouver yesterday afternoon, but things were supposedly real bad around Bellingham, so who knows.

#31 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:42 PM

We were bussed the entire way between Vancouver and Seattle, and we're doing the same for this morning. No idea about what's going on with the evening train though.

Also, the Superliner set I was suppose to work (which is held captive to trains 516/519) was used to run 517 yesterday and should be 504 today. I don't know if 517's original equipment ever made it in from Vancouver yesterday. It wasn't in the question when I got in to Vancouver yesterday afternoon, but things were supposedly real bad around Bellingham, so who knows.

Why would there be rhyme or reason? It came back last night. I'll be taking it down to PDX as 517, and it will return tonight as 508.

#32 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 01:44 PM

And another today, just north of Mount Vernon. On 516 we didn't even get to Edmonds before it happened and the decision to turn around was made. An on time 517 will run from Seattle using 516's (Superliner) equipment, and we'll be bussing to our stops north of Seattle.

No idea what's going to on tonight or tomorrow

#33 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,852 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:13 PM

And another today, just north of Mount Vernon. On 516 we didn't even get to Edmonds before it happened and the decision to turn around was made. An on time 517 will run from Seattle using 516's (Superliner) equipment, and we'll be bussing to our stops north of Seattle.

No idea what's going to on tonight or tomorrow

I suspected there was a mudslide. Someone posted on FB they got a text message that 516 was cancelled with no alternate transportation and was surprised/confused.
Strike that, he got another message about the bus.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Edited by AmtrakBlue, 17 February 2018 - 10:17 PM.

#34 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:33 PM

There was a mudslide which means BNSF places a moratorium on passenger trains. It ends 4pm on the 19th.

Edited by Thirdrail7, 17 February 2018 - 10:35 PM.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#35 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:55 PM

There was a mudslide which means BNSF places a moratorium on passenger trains. It ends 4pm on the 19th.

4pm? Was there another?

Can't we make another happen? :P. I'd love to give up pay in exchange for busing down to Seattle, and doing something like deadheading the equipment up to Vancouver! (For those wondering, depending on where the slide is, usually we run the train part of the way and bus the passengers the rest, then deadhead the equipment through the affected area.)

#36 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,213 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:40 PM

"How on earth did Seattle’s train tracks wind up in mudslide zones?"

http://kuow.org/post...-mudslide-zones

#37 Maglev

Maglev

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted Today, 01:08 PM

Since 2015, landslides have disrupted or canceled passenger trains along Puget Sound on the Amtrak Cascades and Sound Transit Sounder routes over 540 times, according to data from Sound Transit and the Washington State Department of Transportation.

This number seems high to me.  Maybe 540 total train cancellations?

Northeast corridor Heritage, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

#38 fairviewroad

fairviewroad

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,165 posts

Posted Today, 05:08 PM

Since 2015, landslides have disrupted or canceled passenger trains along Puget Sound on the Amtrak Cascades and Sound Transit Sounder routes over 540 times, according to data from Sound Transit and the Washington State Department of Transportation.

This number seems high to me.  Maybe 540 total train cancellations?

It definitely could have been worded better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users