Is connecting time long enough in the Mid West in winter?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6862

Engineer
Second option for the Mid West section of our next USA travels is to travel north from Kansas City with the Southwest Chief to Galesburg and transfer to the Californian Zephyr west-bound. If both trains are on time there is a 4 1/2 hour layover. On using a dummy booking Amtrak are happy to make this connection. We will travel during the second week of March.

Ms Amtrak Blue supplied a great on-time link and if taking the average from 1 Jan 2017 - 30 April 2017 for the #4 SWC there is more than enough time to transfer. But, through the last winter there were a half a dozen or more times where late arrival in Galesburg was more than 6 hours, and I assume the CZ will not wait for 3 passengers..

Now it's not the end of the world if Amtrak can't get us to GBB in time to transfer, I'm sure they would look after us, but our following 8 days travel and bookings don't have enough padding to afford to lose a whole day.

Rosie had the idea why not stay 24 hours in Galesburg, and on a quick look it appears to have all the things we need to enjoy 28 hours there, anyone know the town? any recommendations? that is on top of the Rail Museum of course.

What would you do?

ps: The search facility on this site doesn't work for me, is that because I'm still using W7?

Last edited by a moderator:
I live about an hour from Galesburg and haven't been there often. There are a few antique shops and restaurants. There is a movie theater. None of the big city attractions as you would find in Chicago, but those are a few things that could keep you entertained for the day.

Jamie: Galesburg is a Historic and Neat Small Town that is definitely worth an overnight if y'all decide,to go this,way.

It's an old Railroad town and Knox College was the site of the 5th Lincoln/Douglas Debates when Lincoln was running for the Senate against Douglas/Lincoln Lost. ( he only served one term in the House before being elected President, and as you know he was probably our greatest President.

In addition to the Rail Museum beside the Amtrak Station, there are daily Illinois Trains to/from CHI and the Long Distance trains,the Chief and the Zephyr as well as the Shuttle Van between Springfield and Galesburg for the Eagles and the Thruway Buses to/from Indianapolis for connections with the Cardinal. Lots of freights too!

There is also an Opera/Vaudville House where lots of famous entertainers appeared, very reasonable Hotels and Motels,( Google) and several good mom and pop cafes and the upscale Packing House is across the street from the Amtrak Station.

Even if you arrive on time and do the layover, grab lunch and visit the Museum if it's open?, it closes in the Winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was curious about the on-time stats for arriving #4 (Chief) connecting to #5 (Zephyr) at Galesburg. From Jan 1 to Apr 30 it seems 6% of the connections were missed, but the CZ was canceled for a week or so in mid-February. Still, odds are in your favor if you decide to try for the same day connection.

For dining, I can suggest Landmark Cafe and Creperie in downtown west of the Amtrak station. In town for business several years ago but Yelp reviews still sound good. Most motels on outskirts along Hwy 34 or Interstate. Probably will need a rental car or taxi as the bus system stops at 6PM.

First thanks to all. We had sort of built up expectations of staying overnight and enjoying what Galesburg has to offer but it depended on being able to rent a car as you suggest Milw6166, but the Enterprise depot very conveniently located next to the station doesn't open on Sundays, so that rules out arriving a Saturday or a Sunday and leaving Sunday or Monday as it would be rent one day and return the next.

Our plans don't give us that amount of flexibility at this point in the journey. A week earlier or later it would be a lot easier to fit in but not around the mid west. A car would allow us to take a look around and if weather permits drive across to the Mississippi too, but our ideas fall a bit flat without a car.

Back to the drawing board...

First thanks to all. We had sort of built up expectations of staying overnight and enjoying what Galesburg has to offer but it depended on being able to rent a car as you suggest Milw6166, but the Enterprise depot very conveniently located next to the station doesn't open on Sundays, so that rules out arriving a Saturday or a Sunday and leaving Sunday or Monday as it would be rent one day and return the next.

Our plans don't give us that amount of flexibility at this point in the journey. A week earlier or later it would be a lot easier to fit in but not around the mid west. A car would allow us to take a look around and if weather permits drive across to the Mississippi too, but our ideas fall a bit flat without a car.

Back to the drawing board...
Just a note: while you usually can't pick up after hours, many rental car agencies will let you return the car even when they're closed. Usually the keys are placed with the rental agreement in some sort of locked drop box and they settle up the next morning.

Back