Manchester - London - Inverness - Manchester

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A visit on the Inverness Sleeper before its retired and replaced with the new stock...

Again big thanks to those who helped & advise (especially for the upcoming trip to Florida)

DSC03599.jpg

full diary below

https://notesfromthebarn.blogspot.co.uk/2017/09/the-caledonian-express-to-inverness.html

Last edited by a moderator:
An enjoyable surprise to see and read about a trip rather closer to home than most on A.U. A very entertaining read, you guys do seem to pack a lot into your all your trips... a more energetic pair than myself, methinks! I look forward to reading your other blog posts in due course.

Cheers,

Ed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Enjoyed your report very much especially the details of Inverness and the Urquhart Castle. Brought back memories of a trip my wife and I took to Scotland more years ago than I care to admit.

In any event it was in May and the Highlands were almost deserted.

We arrived at the Urquhart Castle quite late in the afternoon and saw no one around. We went down in the keep to the lowest level and we're considering who may have been locked up in there in the past when we heard a noise that sounded like gates being closed and locked. We shouted up and surprised a guard who unlocked the gates after we scrambled up.

He apologized and said he didn't know anyone was still there. We had a good laugh together!

Again, thanks for your sharing and bring good memories back!

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Excellent story and pictures !!!

I hate to nit pick but the train separates northbound in "Edinburgh" and joins up there southbound , not Glasgow... :mellow:

Excellent story and pictures !!!

I hate to nit pick but the train separates northbound in "Edinburgh" and joins up there southbound , not Glasgow... :mellow:
Thanks - I wasnt sure myself and then picked it up on website - will update

Back