Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Order of Amtrak Cars on California Zephyr

30 replies to this topic

#21 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,198 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:38 AM

It's a hell of a lot easier to just detach/attach a car or two, than to wye them, put 'em at the other end of the train, and flip the seats. You can't deny that much (I don't know why I said that. you will deny it).

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#22 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,498 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:15 PM

It's a hell of a lot easier to just detach/attach a car or two, than to wye them, put 'em at the other end of the train, and flip the seats. You can't deny that much (I don't know why I said that. you will deny it).

And you know this how?

#23 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:59 PM

And you know this how?

Any time you can avoid running the wye is a good day. And for the record anyone who turns seats on a regular basis can flip them pretty fast. When it's been two of us flipping an excursion consist. As long as the seats are maintained as far as the mechanism. No reason you can't turn the car in under three minutes.
  • cpotisch likes this
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#24 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,450 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 30 May 2018 - 04:29 PM

It's not a comparison between attaching and detaching a car or two.

He's talking about how they execute the twice-annual rotation of the consist from sleepers first to coaches first.
  • cpotisch likes this
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#25 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 04:37 PM

It's not a comparison between attaching and detaching a car or two.

He's talking about how they execute the twice-annual rotation of the consist from sleepers first to coaches first.

Oh, sorry. Well in that case, everything I said is nonsense. I guess I'm pretty freaking out of it today.  :huh:

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#26 Tennessee Traveler

Tennessee Traveler

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:38 PM

Nevertheless, as of 5/30 no change of the order has been executed. Sleepers remain at the front.

• cpotisch likes this

#27 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:51 PM

I think it is cost issue.  How long does it take, how many people are required, what productivity is lost to do this maneuver?  Then multiply times six consists times twice a year, nice chuck of savings.

#28 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:27 PM

I think it is cost issue.  How long does it take, how many people are required, what productivity is lost to do this maneuver?  Then multiply times six consists times twice a year, nice chuck of savings.

Six minutes per car by myself. As long as the seats are maintained and they don't get stuck. I can flip the entire car in six. In ten minutes I can have all of the tray tables up, foot rests up, and seats un reclined. And that's for someone who almost never works a coach. Normally I work sleepers, sleeper lounges, lounges, and parlors. I would assume amtraks coach cleaners can do it far faster than myself because they A. Work on the cars full time. B. Amtrak seats should be in better shape than private car coaches.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#29 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:37 PM

That is the easy part compared to switching the cars around.  Using San Antonio as an example, I would guess an hour, maybe more with safety checks.  Requires an Engineer, several Yard personnel. Also the cost of using an engine to make the move.  If you were doing a wye, finding a time slot would be an issue based on all the train movements in Chicago.

#30 Guest_X_*

Guest_X_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:50 PM

The Zephyr is wyed every day in Oakland.

The wye is too short to fit the entire train at one time, so it has to be cut in half and each section wyed individually. This means that reversing the order of the cars is actually less work for the switch crew, and more work for the Carmen flipping seats.

#31 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:12 AM

Six minutes per car by myself. As long as the seats are maintained and they don't get stuck. I can flip the entire car in six. In ten minutes I can have all of the tray tables up, foot rests up, and seats un reclined. And that's for someone who almost never works a coach. Normally I work sleepers, sleeper lounges, lounges, and parlors. I would assume amtraks coach cleaners can do it far faster than myself because they A. Work on the cars full time. B. Amtrak seats should be in better shape than private car coaches.

Yeah, I've got to agree with Lonestar. Coupling, uncoupling, and wyeing are really the main issue with reversing the sleepers/coaches.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users