Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

which is better? Empire builder or via-rail Canadian?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Skyline

Skyline

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:18 PM

I dont know about the winter, but this summer, on the Canadian, only the Prestige passengers were able to access the Park Car.

Then someone got it wrong.....hope you didn't miss out on the Park Car!

All Sleeper passengers have access to the Park Car yearround except it is restricted to Prestige only in the summer on the first night only departing Toronto and Vancouver..and also most mornings. From 2pm on all sleeper passengers have access to the Park Car even during the summer.

"Access to the Prestige Park car: Starting April 30, 2017, during peak season access to the Prestige Park Car will be limited to scheduled times for Sleeper Plus passengers. Sleeper Plus passengers will be able to access the Prestige Park car on the following schedule: from 2:00PM until last call 10:30PM, with the exception of evenings upon departure from Toronto and Vancouver where access will be exclusive to Prestige passengers. *Scheduled access times are subject to change.

A select number of seats in the Prestige Park car are reserved for our Prestige passengers at all times in the scenic dome (year-round)"

http://www.viarail.c...mpare-amenities

That was our experience in May, too. After 2pm we could use the Park car because we were in regular sleepers. The first two rows of seats in the dome were off-limits to anyone not travelling Prestige. These were clearly marked.

The Park is classic LD railroading, upgraded. Not to be missed.

#42 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:12 AM

How many Prestige cars are in a consist?  How does the Canadian monitor who has access?  Is it the honor system or does the staff check tickets?

#43 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:19 PM

There appear to be 2 Prestige Chateaus, plus the Prestige rooms in the Prestige Park in the summer.  One Prestige Chateau in the winter.

Since I ride in the off season, I don't know about how access is controlled to the Park when it is entirely restricted.  In the winter, the first two rows have Prestige only marked, people generally respected it.

SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr, Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-Orlando), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal), BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#44 JRR

JRR

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:27 PM

My recollection is that we were given "wrist bands" to wear which identified us as sleeper car riders.

I am not sure about the "Prestige" riders, but they had their own separate lounge area in the Jasper Station where we got on, and were taken by shuttle to their cars which were at the end( with the exception of the trailing Park car) of our 27 car consist.

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

#45 Maverickstation

Maverickstation

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:Equality.

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:13 PM

We were on The Ocean a few weeks back and all Sleeper Plus riders were given wristbands to identify who could use the Park Car, and for that matter the 2nd dome Car as well. These Dome Cars are true gems of the past, and I would recommend riding them while VIA is still using them.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

The poster formally known as Peconicstation.

Location: Boston MA, the greatest city in America, and home of South Station, Amtrak's best large city station.

#46 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:53 PM

When I rode it last fall, there were no wrist bands.  They just knew who was who.  Of course, it was an 8 car train that wasn't full, so they could keep track of who was who, as opposed to the 26+ car behemoth it becomes in  the summer.

I am riding again, departing Vancouver on 10/31.  I'll post what they do.

Edited by zephyr17, 22 September 2017 - 01:53 PM.

SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr, Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-Orlando), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal), BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#47 Maverickstation

Maverickstation

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:Equality.

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:01 AM

Attached File  dome.jpg   148.76KB   8 downloadsAs to why The Canadian has it over the Empire Builder,there is nothing like riding in a Vista Dome, and an Observation Car.  

The poster formally known as Peconicstation.

Location: Boston MA, the greatest city in America, and home of South Station, Amtrak's best large city station.

#48 JRR

JRR

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:08 AM

And the food was outstanding!

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users