CVS station proposal - finally

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.nbc29.com/story/36303613/charlottesville-train-station-proposes-plans-to-expand-to-board

This is a link to a piece I noticed on a local neighborhood FB page. It's about doing something about the overcrowded CVS Amtrak station. It seems to acknowledge that Amtrak or VDOT is foot-dragging about the additional NER because of the station. That doesn't make much sense to me - after all a new train would come at a new time when the station is presently empty!

What makes the most sense is to evict the restaurant and occupy the entirety of the original station - maybe the all-knowing architectural review board will see this. I imagine the current owner of the property (also a developer) doesn't want this for some reason. The entire property along with the parking lot has been on the market for several years.

Yes, the property owners probably want to make a profit on their investment. The review boards handles design and historic preservation issues and can't evict rent-paying tenants from a private property. Gabe Silverman, the late co-owner of the property, is still beloved in Charlottesville for revitalizing much of the downtown area and fostering the local arts scene

It's a shame Amtrak doesn't own it as the obvious solution is to restore it to the original configuration by getting rid of the restaurant. But at least a developer has the money and sounds like the current station will be retained. And I do like having a beer and wings on the restaurant rooftop deck checking out the NS.

Now it would be great if VA financed a connection from the Cardinal to Richmond. Maybe even with through cars to FL from CHI. Dream on!

I don't even think you have to get rid of the restaurant - just get them to open in the morning for coffee and pastries! Every time i travel from CVS I'm amazed that there are 100 people waiting on the platform, and this restaurant isn't open.

Back