Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

"Break The Travel Quo"

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:09 PM

I just got a targeted ad from "Break The Travel Quo" on YouTube. Based on what little information is there, it appears to be a new marketing strategy for Amtrak (the "four bags free" is what's making me think that, mixed with the "no airplane mode" suggesting it's a ground transit option.) It looks like the countdown on the main website is to 12:00 AM ET Thursday, September 14.

YouTube Page: https://www.youtube....n0lq9w/featured

Wondering if it's just an advertising campaign or if some new feature/amenity will be launched with it.

#2 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:26 AM

Given one of the pics is from a Superliner or Amfleet II I'd agree with you.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#3 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,092 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:22 PM

I think it's just an ad campaign.  Bad launch date with so many trains suspended, though.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#4 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,019 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:37 PM

I remember taking a survey regarding one of the commercials they used in the video. I liked the alien. :)

Also, it should be, "What if there were an airline..." It drives me batty when people don't use the subjunctive form, especially considering this is a professional ad campaign and not some random blog.

Same for you, Gwen Stefani. I love you, but it should be, "If I were a rich girl," not, "If I was a rich girl..."  :P

/end rant

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#5 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:05 AM

It drives me batty when people don't use the subjunctive form, especially considering this is a professional ad campaign and not some random blog.

Brava!

#6 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:14 AM

It's at least a vague rebuttal of Richard Andersons intent to airplanize Amtrak more.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Posted Image

#7 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,037 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:41 AM

It looks just like any number of Southwest Airlines commercials to me.  Not saying that's a bad thing, but it's no rebuttal of an airline focused mindset.  If anything the last several years of changes to Amtrak and to AGR are a rebuttal to anyone who previously claimed Amtrak wasn't moving closer toward the US airline model.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 14 September 2017 - 10:43 AM.

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#8 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:48 AM

Back to grammar for a minute--

I have heard announcements that:

"Only one piece of luggage are allowed on Amtrak trains" and "New Jersey Transit thank you for your cooperation."

If they can't get subject-verb agreement right, not sure they'll ever get the subtle difference between "was" and "were" :(

Edited by Mystic River Dragon, 14 September 2017 - 10:53 AM.

#9 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,037 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:06 AM

Back to grammar for a minute-- I have heard announcements that: "Only one piece of luggage are allowed on Amtrak trains" and "New Jersey Transit thank you for your cooperation." If they can't get subject-verb agreement right, not sure they'll ever get the subtle difference between "was" and "were" :(

IIRC "[Business/Team/Group] thank you for your cooperation." is considered correct grammar in Queen's English.  Outside the US it's not uncommon to refer to named groups as if they were plural so if the speaker came from a Commonwealth country they may have been taught to say it that way.  I can't think of any excuse for the one/are combination on Amtrak. 

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#10 CelticWhisper

CelticWhisper

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:55 PM

"Four bags free!"  "No airplane mode!"  "This is us ignoring the elephant in the room, which is that there's no dignity-shattering security checkpoint to suffer through at our stations!"

#11 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,019 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:08 PM

IIRC "[Business/Team/Group] thank you for your cooperation." is considered correct grammar in Queen's English.  Outside the US it's not uncommon to refer to named groups as if they were plural so if the speaker came from a Commonwealth country they may have been taught to say it that way.  I can't think of any excuse for the one/are combination on Amtrak. 

Right. The entity using the plural doesn't bother me as much because there's an implied "[The employees of]" in front of "New Jersey Transit", but the "one piece/are" statement makes me cringe.

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#12 anumberone

anumberone

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:51 AM

I hate when that happens.☺

Edited by anumberone, 15 September 2017 - 07:02 AM.

#13 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:00 AM

Grammarobergruppenfuhrer SS Z thanks you for using proper grammar in a world full of people who think "you" is spelled "U".

Posted Image

#14 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:48 AM

Drat--DA and Sarah are right. I should take full responsibility for not thinking that second example through, but I think I'll just blame NJT instead for causing trouble again :P.

#15 Texan Eagle

Texan Eagle

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:34 PM

Ugh ALL of the backgrounds in the pictures of various classes of seats are poorly done CGI fakes! Could they not find ANY locations on the entire Amtrak network where a real background is beautiful enough to put on a website photo?

#16 LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 05:13 PM

Ugh ALL of the backgrounds in the pictures of various classes of seats are poorly done CGI fakes! Could they not find ANY locations on the entire Amtrak network where a real background is beautiful enough to put on a website photo?

Hmmm I was thinking the same thing.  

"And you know that notion just crossed my mind............"

#17 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 05:37 PM

I noticed in the 360 photo that the SSL had no booths.  Obvious that the production company used stationary cars with green screens outside each window so a scene can be added later.  Average person will not care.  Actually the average person will not notice the details which is what the Ad agency is expecting.  No asterisk saying four bags free is based on manned stations with baggage service.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                 Coast Starlight                          

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 211,000

#18 AKA

AKA

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 06:05 PM

Grammarobergruppenfuhrer SS Z thanks you for using proper grammar in a world full of people who think "you" is spelled "U".

Luv that

#19 daybeers

daybeers

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Trains, obviously, both real and model, Music, Singing, Computers, Stained Glass, Photography, Traveling, Running

Posted 17 September 2017 - 01:07 AM

I saw an Amtrak ad in WAS today which said Break The Travel Quo at the bottom.

Amtrak travel so far:

Springfield Shuttle: HFD-WND, HFD-NHV

Lake Shore Limited: SPG-CHI, CHI-SPG Roomette

Northeast Regional round-trip lots of times: NHV-NYP, NHV-WIL, NHV-WAS, HFD-WAS (some in Business)

Acela: PHL-NHV, Business Class

Pennsylvanian: NYP-PGH, PGH-NYP, Business Class

Capitol Limited: WAS-CHI Bedroom

Foreign travel:

Eurostar: London-Paris

EuroNight: Paris-Milano Centrale, 6 person couchette (by far the worst train I have ever been on.)

Frecciarossa: Milano Centrale-Roma Termini

#20 8notch

8notch

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 03:49 PM

I noticed in the 360 photo that the SSL had no booths.  Obvious that the production company used stationary cars with green screens outside each window so a scene can be added later.  Average person will not care.  Actually the average person will not notice the details which is what the Ad agency is expecting.  No asterisk saying four bags free is based on manned stations with baggage service.

I also noticed that in the photo of the Amtrak train, someone must have photo shopped the engine # off the side of the engines.
I did think a few of the commercials were pretty funny.
Robert

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users