Coach vs. Roomette for 2 people WAS-CLE

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daybeers

Conductor
I'm planning on taking the train from WAS to CLE sometime between 12/15 and 1/15 (not over Christmas, though). I'll be traveling with someone else, so I'm trying to figure out if booking a roomette is worth it. I just signed up for the AGR BofA World Mastercard, so hopefully I will have the 30,000 bonus points by the time I book, which is more than enough for a roomette. However, considering it's only a single overnight, and less than one full night at that (~9 hours), is it worth it to save the money and/or points and do coach? I would only have to pay $112 for the both of us round-trip if I used the companion coupon I will be getting. We will probably spend most of the time in the SSL, at least during the first part where there is daylight.

If we were to travel coach, does anyone have any recommendations as to foods to bring for dinner? The dining car is a little on the high side for our budget, and the cafe car food isn't too great IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as spending time in the SSL. By the time you leave Rockville or shortly after it'll be dark. But I'd also hold off on the room arriving in CLE in the middle of the night. Not worth it for me. If you were going through to CHI I'd say get the room.

As far as spending time in the SSL. By the time you leave Rockville or shortly after it'll be dark. But I'd also hold off on the room arriving in CLE in the middle of the night. Not worth it for me. If you were going through to CHI I'd say get the room.
Right, that's what I was thinking. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, but the Superliner coach seats are more comfortable than the seats in the SSL, correct? Opinions on if it's worth staying in the SSL even if it's dark?

Coach seats have a lot of recline and lots of legroom. I agree to go coach to CLE, but bring earplugs and eyeshade if you are a light sleeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

I would never use a room for a trip less than 24 hours unless there is some physical or medical need for one.

I would never use a room for a trip less than 24 hours unless there is some physical or medical need for one.
I'd agree with this comment for trips that end in the late evening or shortly after midnight. But for trips that include the entire night I travel in sleeper even though those trips are less than 24 hours. An example is a trip from SBY to MSP. Leaving Shelby around 11 I can enjoy lunch in the diner, a pleasant afternoon in my room, dinner in the diner, a bed to stretch out on with plenty of privacy, a shower in the morning and, if the train is running just a little late, breakfast in the diner. A very relaxing and comfortable trip that I do at least once each year.

As far as the OP's trip (WAS to CLE), I'd probably go with coach and save my points for a longer adventure.

Agree. Short of 24 hours, but crossing the usual sleeping hours, and the opportunity to take a shower... the roomette is a big plus... I'll be on the NER/CL NYP to CHI, continuing on the TE to Dallas returning using TE to LSL from CHI..... no leg is 24 hours, but each is close enough, with the long overnight to make the roomette my choice....

My principle is generally to get a room if I can get a full night's sleep, and not otherwise. Sometimes I really want the privacy, though.

If I were traveling alone, I would get a Roomette for this trip. But when traveling with a companion you have a guaranteed good seatmate for coach, and a Roomette is kind of small for two people in my opinion.

And the money saved can go towards dinner in the dining car.

By the way. Adults can order from the kids dinner portion of the menu.

You can get a salad & hot dog or mac/cheese for $10 - plus beverage. They might even sub a baked potato for the veggy medley.

There's usually a basket with a roll for each seat at the table too.

https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/469/890/Capitol-Limited-Dining-Car-Menu-0417,0.pdf

Thanks everyone for the replies! Seems like I'm leaning towards going coach for this run.
I am assuming you are traveling on the Capital Limited? Never been on this train , but was intrigued by your questions. After a little research into the schedule, I see that it departs WAS at 4:05P, arrives CLE at 2:53A. Wow, nasty hours! Anyway, go coach, going to be dark pretty much the whole trip. As far as food suggestions, bring what you like. Pick up a couple of sandwiches and a couple of beers before you board!

However, on your return trip, I see that you depart CLE at 1:54A, arriving WAS at 1:05P. Consider booking a roomete. Beds should be made, get a few hours of sleep. Should be able to get breakfast and most likely lunch out of the deal. Of course, this is all assuming that everything is running per schedule. Anyway, hope you have a nice trip, let us know it goes.

Yes, though it is spelled Capitol, not Capital. I know they are nasty hours, but flying would be ~$200 each!

That is a good point regarding getting a roomette on the way back. Opinions on that? I'm thinking I could do $56 each way for coach and then add the companion coupon, so the roomette on the return trip would only be the accommodation charge of $126, correct?

I would agree WAS to CLE travel coach. As pointed out you arrive in CLE at 2:53 AM and the SCA would probably wake you an hour before you get off the train. If you were able to get the bed put down at say 9PM you could get 4-5 hours of sleep but SCA's don't always put the beds down at the requested time. For an 11 hour trip coach can be comfortable.For a full overnight journey, IMO, the sleeper is the way to go.

I actually spend quite a bit of the dark time on that trip in the lounge. I enjoy blasting through all the little towns and seeing them all lit up. Sometimes you see interesting things going on. Once you get to McKeesport, there's a lot to see while you go through Pittsburgh.

Thanks everyone for the replies! Seems like I'm leaning towards going coach for this run.
I am assuming you are traveling on the Capital Limited? Never been on this train , but was intrigued by your questions. After a little research into the schedule, I see that it departs WAS at 4:05P, arrives CLE at 2:53A. Wow, nasty hours! Anyway, go coach, going to be dark pretty much the whole trip. As far as food suggestions, bring what you like. Pick up a couple of sandwiches and a couple of beers before you board!

However, on your return trip, I see that you depart CLE at 1:54A, arriving WAS at 1:05P. Consider booking a roomete. Beds should be made, get a few hours of sleep. Should be able to get breakfast and most likely lunch out of the deal. Of course, this is all assuming that everything is running per schedule. Anyway, hope you have a nice trip, let us know it goes.
It's been my experience on the Capitol Limited that lunch is not served in the diner. Breakfast hours are extended some but only one meal each day. Dinner on departure from CHI and breakfast on the day the train arrives in WAS. Same for the westbound trip, dinner after departure from WAS and breakfast before arrival in CHI.

Sometimes they do a quick lunch into Washington.... Website menu lists Express Lunch not regular lunch.....
It is my understanding that lunch is only served if the train is running VERY late. In years past, an express lunch was served around 11am. I have not seen a lunch on the Capitol Limited in at least 3-4 years.

Yes, though it is spelled Capitol, not Capital. I know they are nasty hours, but flying would be ~$200 each!

That is a good point regarding getting a roomette on the way back. Opinions on that? I'm thinking I could do $56 each way for coach and then add the companion coupon, so the roomette on the return trip would only be the accommodation charge of $126, correct?
I'm confused about your plans. If you use the companion coupon, it can be used both ways if you buy a round-trip. Not sure it can be ued with saver fare if that's what you see for price. As to roomette, you can't use the companion ticket, I believe, with a roomette.

My principle is generally to get a room if I can get a full night's sleep, and not otherwise. Sometimes I really want the privacy, though.
I like the privacy too, plus if I have luggage and work product like I will for my round trip to LA, which is over four hours each way, I prefer the security of a roomette...

Back