New Van Nuys Platform

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leemell

Conductor
The contractor started work today on the new between the tracks platform. It will completely replace the south side only platform. It will include a tunnel under the tracks and realigning the tracks from Woodman Ave to about Sepulveda Bl. About 18 months to complete.

The contractor started work today on the new between the tracks platform. It will completely replace the south side only platform. It will include a tunnel under the tracks and realigning the tracks from Woodman Ave to about Sepulveda Bl. About 18 months to complete.
Is this station all Surfliner trains? Anyway, glad to see this work begin.

No. It is Surfliner, Metrolink, and Amtrak.

In other words, Amtrak (Coast Starlight and Surfliners) and Metrolink

I live close to the VNC station and always start my trips from there. The free parking is great too.

Last edited by a moderator:
In other words, Amtrak (Coast Starlight and Surfliners) and Metrolink
Amtrak operates the state owned Surfliners under contract to the state. They also operate Metrolink under contract to SCRRA (Southern California Railroad Association) who own these trains..

Somewhat dated at this point but this document from LA Metro describes the project...

http://media.metro.net/projects_studies/rr/regional_rail_Van-Nuys-Station.pdf
Interesting anyway, but I think this is not the same project. This link is to the northside platform, plans here from 2007, and I hope completed a few years back. Leemell's original post above says the new center platform will replace the existing southside platform. So, Phase I and now Phase 2?

Anyway, a good location to doubletrack a stretch of mostly singletrack line. California has ambitions to muscle up the Surfliner service L.A.-Santa Barbara-San Luis Obispo. That will probably require many more such rebuilds to get the bottlenecks unclogged and the trains up to speed.

The Amtrak LD bonus will be faster times for the Coast Starlight. Maybe it can arrive L.A. before 9 p.m., to give a better connection to the Sunset Ltd, which departs at 10 p.m. And even a connection to a Surfliner giving an earlier arrival in San Diego (now 1:06 a.m.) and adding that huge market to the Starlight's catchment.

Yes, I see there is no between track platform in the proposal I linked to.

The platform and Amtrak building is currently on the south side of Track 2. There is currently no north side platform - there is currently a short asphalt strip between Tracks One and Two which is sometimes used for boarding trains on track 1. That does not happen very often.

As far as double tracking between CP Raymer and CP Bernson goes, the NIMBYS in Northridge have (thus far) been keeping that at bay! Double track already exists from Burbank Junction to CP Raymer in Van Nuys. The Chatsworth siding from CP Bernson to CP Topanga will become part of the double track. If that becomes reality then double track will exist from Burbank Junction all the way to CP Topanga in Chatsworth. Double track already exists from Burbank Junction to LA.

Somewhat dated at this point but this document from LA Metro describes the project...

Interesting anyway, but I think this is not the same project. This link is to the northside platform, plans here from 2007, and I hope completed a few years back. Leemell's original post above says the new center platform will replace the existing southside platform. So, Phase I and now Phase 2?

Anyway, a good location to doubletrack a stretch of mostly singletrack line. California has ambitions to muscle up the Surfliner service L.A.-Santa Barbara-San Luis Obispo. That will probably require many more such rebuilds to get the bottlenecks unclogged and the trains up to speed.

The Amtrak LD bonus will be faster times for the Coast Starlight. Maybe it can arrive L.A. before 9 p.m., to give a better connection to the Sunset Ltd, which departs at 10 p.m. And even a connection to a Surfliner giving an earlier arrival in San Diego (now 1:06 a.m.) and adding that huge market to the Starlight's catchment.
No, they changed the design to a center platform with a tunnel under tre tracks to access it. The first design was a platform addition to the north side. The double tracking from Raymer to Chatsworth is still awaiting a completed EIR. Metrolink offered a design that double tracked all but 1.5 miles, but the State Rail Bureau said no, it must be all of the tracks.

No, they changed the design to a center platform with a tunnel under tre tracks to access it. The first design was a platform addition to the north side. The double tracking from Raymer to Chatsworth is still awaiting a completed EIR. Metrolink offered a design that double tracked all but 1.5 miles, but the State Rail Bureau said no, it must be all of the tracks.
OK...I see in March 2017 Board of Directors Meeting document (Item 7 on Page 24; related is Item 8 on Page 30 to reimburse UPRR for relocating tracks in Gemco Yard to accomodate).

http://metrolink.granicus.com/DocumentViewer.php?file=metrolink_a0e5000649165814c347728d8114f6b6.pdf&view=1

that Van Nuys would indeed be a center platform as you mention.

Curious though, you opened this discussion stating that contractor had started work. I ride that line twice a day on my commute and, although Metrolink has been performing tie replacement between Burbank and Bernson for a few weeks now, I haven't seen any sign of track (either MT 1 or 2) realignment. I ask because why replace ties prior to beginning the re-alignment. Is this tie replacment activity what you see as the Van Nuys platform project beginning?

Double track project - the "all but 1.5 miles" you mention...I'm guessing that is the track between Balboa Blvd and LIndley Avenue. Residential on both sides of the ROW.

Not disagreeing, just wondering and clarifying! Regardless of how it takes place, it is definitely needed! Thanks.

OK...I see in March 2017 Board of Directors Meeting document (Item 7 on Page 24; related is Item 8 on Page 30 to reimburse UPRR for relocating tracks in Gemco Yard to accomodate).

http://metrolink.granicus.com/DocumentViewer.php?file=metrolink_a0e5000649165814c347728d8114f6b6.pdf&view=1

Curious though, you opened this discussion stating that contractor had started work. I ride that line twice a day on my commute and, although Metrolink has been performing tie replacement between Burbank and Bernson for a few weeks now, I haven't seen any sign of track (either MT 1 or 2) realignment. I ask because why replace ties prior to beginning the re-alignment. Is this tie replacment activity what you see as the Van Nuys platform project beginning?

Double track project - the "all but 1.5 miles" you mention...I'm guessing that is the track between Balboa Blvd and LIndley Avenue. Residential on both sides of the ROW.

Not disagreeing, just wondering and clarifying! Regardless of how it takes place, it is definitely needed! Thanks.

The contractor received "start work " order two weeks ago. Monday they blocked off the East end of the parking lot and began to establish a construction yard and offices. Yes on the double tracking.

The contractor received "start work " order two weeks ago. Monday they blocked off the East end of the parking lot and began to establish a construction yard and offices. Yes on the double tracking.
Thanks

Weird though it may seem, I've frequently seen tie replacement done *before* track realignment, if the track was moving a fairly short distance. They first replace the ties. Then when it's realignment time, they remove the ballast and sort of pick up the entire ribbon of track, with ties, and slide it over to its new location. Apparently that's easier when the ties are in good condition.

Just a minor nit --- UPRR is doing the the maintenance --- it is their track.

Which track is UP?

SCRRA owns the main to CP CO423 "Las Posas."

Which track is UP?

SCRRA owns the main to CP CO423 "Las Posas."
That was my understanding.
I believe all of the rest --- right at the station there are 4>3 tracks from the Gemco Yard, those I believe are UP's. It was certainly their crews I saw working on the ties there. Metro awarded a contract to them to move the tracks concurrent with construction contract.

The contractor has begun prep for the platform build and has done the rail moves.  Here are two videos of the rail work over last two years or so:  

The platform is really taking shape. About 90% of the concrete work is done. Last week they put up a canopy on the center platform. vny 1.jpg vny 2.jpg

Last edited:
Back