Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

What is the best Roomette on a Viewliner?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kendoggbyrd_*

Guest_kendoggbyrd_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:31 AM

I might be taking a viewliner from Washington to Chgo and was wondering.

Is it #5 or #7-the center of the train?

Is it #11 by the coffee station?

#2 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,026 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:35 AM

On Viewliners Roomettes #1-#4 are the "best" rooms in the middle of the car, but #5 and #7 are OK.

Room #11 is close to the door and over the trucks, I'd avoid it if possible.
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#3 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:41 AM

I like Roomettes #1 and #2 best, because they are at the end of the row so don't have a neighbor on one side.

#4 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:18 PM

I prefer #1 - #6 closer to center.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                 Coast Starlight                          

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 211,000

#5 RRRick

RRRick

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Interests:Transportation history,

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:28 PM

The Capitol Limited is the direct train from Washington, DC to Chicago and it uses SuperLiners, not ViewLiners. You would have to travel to New York Penn Station too board a ViewLiner to Chicago.

#6 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,016 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:04 PM

The Capitol Limited is the direct train from Washington, DC to Chicago and it uses SuperLiners, not ViewLiners. You would have to travel to New York Penn Station too board a ViewLiner to Chicago.

He could take the Cardinal from WAS to CHI on a Viewliner.

Amtrak miles: 216,828; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Autumn Express 2015, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Autumn Express 2016, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#7 Guest_kendoggbyrd_*

Guest_kendoggbyrd_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:07 PM

He could take the Cardinal from WAS to CHI on a Viewliner.

That's what it is. The Cardinal. I should have stated that.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users