Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amfleet I Interior Refresh

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#41 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,176 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:22 AM

Isn't this that ex-airline CEO reducing legroom by 60% under the guise of a "refresh" ?

No. He has explicitly said that there are no plans to reduce seat pitch, in his interview on CBS. Could we please stop spreading this canard?

#42 tommylicious

tommylicious

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:58 AM

Then he's reducing seat width?

#43 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:21 AM

There is no move on the table to reduce pitch or width. Width would be a waste unless you were going to 3+2 and that's never been a plan for Amtrak. Even commuter lines struggle with that. It would require all new seats (very expensive) and redone reading lights. 

#44 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,176 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:49 AM

Then he's reducing seat width?

No he is not. Just get over it. :P Think of some other cataclysm and worry about it instead. ;)

#45 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,744 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:05 AM

Corrosion on an Amfleet, which is an all stainless steel monocoque design, would be rather weird.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#46 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,176 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:33 AM

Corrosion on an Amfleet, which is an all stainless steel monocoque design, would be rather weird.

If there is any issue it would more likely be fatigue cracks at inconvenient places rather than corrosion I would think.

#47 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:41 AM

I would agree, but I don't think the Amfleets are really old enough for that to be a major issue at this point.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Posted Image

#48 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:46 PM

Fatigue cracks are often a function of design and fabrication quality, not age.

#49 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 02:10 PM

Wonder when they're gonna finally start to repaint the exterior to match the new baggage/viewliner cars. 

Why would that need to be done?  The Amfleet Is are very rarely in the same consist as a baggage car, and certainly even more rarely a Viewliner.  They are branded Amtrak America, since that's what they wanted to put in the theme for long hauls.

Still no center armrests, even in business class.  Really?

Are you willing to sacrifice seat width for that?  People in this very thread would start losing it over reducing seat width for any reason.  Only way to keep the seat width (or even increase it) is to go to 2x1 seating for all business class cars, cutting capacity by 15 seats, meaning fares would have to go up by 25% to bring the same fare potential per car.  Then less passengers would upgrade, leading to....well, who knows.

I think this means that service to Roanoke is a real thing:

"... during the next several months, hundreds of Amtrak employees, alongside our industry partners, will perform the maintenance and overhaul work at facilities across the northeastern U.S. including  ... Roanoke, Virginia."

Service begins Oct. 31. Why would you not think it was a real thing?

It was a little joke that couldn't. Sorry.

I thought I was noting that while service hasn't yet begun (tho I'm confident that it will), but ALREADY Roanoke is named as a facility for maintenance and overhaul.

That's going from zero to being listed along with Albany, Sunnyside, Philly, Wilmington, and Washington pretty dayum fast! Who knew that Amtrak had such facilities in place? Paid for by Virginia? Maybe they mean that NS has facilities in Roanoke (and Lynchburg? and Norfolk?) that will do some of the work on contract.

I highly doubt they're going to contract the service out.  What I am assuming they're going to do is use existing mechanical crews (even though they may not necessary be qualified per the union to do the work?) at the servicing points.  Roanoke and Norfolk will only be getting one train per day that terminates there, and eventually Lynchburg will be getting one again as well.  You need to pay those people full time hours, so you may as well have them doing other work, since it doesn't take 8 hours to service a 7-9 car train.

Notice Richmond and Newport News, who handle two or more trains per day are not on the list.  I haven't looked in to it at all, but my explanation seems to be the only reasonable one I can think of.

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#50 MisterUptempo

MisterUptempo

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:35 PM

Isn't this that ex-airline CEO reducing legroom by 60% under the guise of a "refresh" ?

As others have pointed out, there will be no reduction in seat pitch. As a matter of fact the decision to perform a refresh on the Amfleet I's was made by the Amtrak board in March, 2017, perhaps earlier, long before the announcement of Anderson becoming Amtrak CEO in late June, 2017.

#51 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:13 PM

Fatigue cracks are often a function of design and fabrication quality, not age.

I was assuming anyone who knew the conversation know the Amfleets are first rate.
Posted Image

#52 mfastx

mfastx

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:34 AM

Wonder when they're gonna finally start to repaint the exterior to match the new baggage/viewliner cars. 

Why would that need to be done?  The Amfleet Is are very rarely in the same consist as a baggage car, and certainly even more rarely a Viewliner.  They are branded Amtrak America, since that's what they wanted to put in the theme for long hauls.

What about Crescent/Silver service?  I just hate mismatched consists with a passion, all Amtrak cars/locomotives should look the same. 

#53 KnightRail

KnightRail

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:08 AM

The first car(s) with refreshed cushions and carpets should be appearing imminently. Process appears like it can be completed swiftly, less than 24 hours. Pull up old carpet, lay down new carpet, pull off old cushions, drop on new ones. Bear in mind that when cars start appearing, they are not finished yet. There will be a round two for wainscoting and bulkheads.

#54 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:36 AM

I am curious as to what the "refreshed galley area" actually means. Anything beyond cosmetic could take some time and talent. Of course, in that area, and under the bathroom floors, there can always be hidden damage uncovered. That is actually fairly common in aircraft overhaul in galley and bathroom areas.  

#55 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,176 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:12 AM

I think a legitimate case can be made to restripe the Amfleet IIs in the Amtrak America livery, since that is where they are meant to be used (mostly). However, that does not necessarily mean it should be a high priority item. It is a nice to have but not necessary to have item. Interior refurbishment is way more important.

#56 tommylicious

tommylicious

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:46 PM

Well good I hope AmTrak do good things without hosing passengers in other ways.

#57 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:38 AM

What about Crescent/Silver service?  I just hate mismatched consists with a passion, all Amtrak cars/locomotives should look the same. 

Like Jis said, I agree the Amfleet IIs should be repainted with the Amtrak America livery, but that's about it.

The Amfleet Is, the ones getting refurbished, are only on Regionals, and other short haul trains. They are rarely put with Amfleet IIs or Viewliner cars, which are typically only found on long hauls.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Amtrak Forum mobile app

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#58 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:42 AM

I am curious as to what the "refreshed galley area" actually means. Anything beyond cosmetic could take some time and talent. Of course, in that area, and under the bathroom floors, there can always be hidden damage uncovered. That is actually fairly common in aircraft overhaul in galley and bathroom areas.  

There have been rumors of moving to refrigeration setups like the Acelas, which is essentially airline style roll on/roll off carts. It would make for much easier loading/stripping of trains, but I find the units to be a lot more unstable operationally as opposed to the units on the current Amfleet foodservice cars.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Amtrak Forum mobile app

#59 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:30 AM

WPIX-11 did a short segment on the project on last night's evening news. Nothing not already covered here, but nice to see the mostly positive mention.

Edited by PVD, 22 September 2017 - 07:30 AM.

#60 keelhauled

keelhauled

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:31 AM

Still no center armrests, even in business class.  Really?

Are you willing to sacrifice seat width for that?  People in this very thread would start losing it over reducing seat width for any reason.  Only way to keep the seat width (or even increase it) is to go to 2x1 seating for all business class cars, cutting capacity by 15 seats, meaning fares would have to go up by 25% to bring the same fare potential per car.  Then less passengers would upgrade, leading to....well, who knows.

Yes, I would in a heartbeat. A fold down armrest doesn't even need to take out width from the seat cushion, and I would far rather have the privacy of some form of barrier between seatmates. If 2x2 seating with armrests is possible on the Acela, which is narrower than Amfleets, there is absolutely no reason why it can't be replicated at least in business class in Amfleet equipment.

Edited by keelhauled, 22 September 2017 - 07:31 AM.

Go on, raise the flag, I got stars in my eyes...I'm in love with her and I won't apologize.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users