Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amfleet I Interior Refresh

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#21 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:08 AM

Well, to be fair, I was thinking specifically of the Regionals between New York and Washington.

Keystone riders between Philly and Harrisburg are usually very polite and well-behaved, as are most riders on the Carolinian, and I'm sure riders on other Amfleet I routes that I haven't been on.

#22 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,589 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:30 AM

Does it say that will be the color of the seats? My impression is that it is a monochrome picture and not the actual colors that will be used.

#23 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,762 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:04 AM

The floor is blue. Look carefully.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#24 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:29 PM

I think this means that service to Roanoke is a real thing:

"... during the next several months, hundreds of Amtrak employees, alongside our industry partners, will perform the maintenance and overhaul work at facilities across the northeastern U.S. including  ... Roanoke, Virginia."

#25 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:47 PM

"... during the next several months, hundreds of Amtrak employees, alongside our industry partners, will perform the maintenance and overhaul work at facilities across the northeastern U.S. including  ... Roanoke, Virginia."

Service begins Oct. 31. Why would you not think it was a real thing? 

#26 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:33 PM

They started selling tickets.....the connecting bus is ending....

#27 LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:44 PM

Will the upgraded coach seats be better for resting in?  Even on the short-distance Regionals, it is nice to be able to "nod-off" sometimes, even if one doesn't go to sleep completely.  

"And you know that notion just crossed my mind............"

#28 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,051 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:55 PM

Will the upgraded coach seats be better for resting in?  Even on the short-distance Regionals, it is nice to be able to "nod-off" sometimes, even if one doesn't go to sleep completely.  

Time will tell. 

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#29 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,762 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:41 AM

I don't believe anything is happening until it turns a wheel in revenue service.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#30 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:33 PM

Am I correct to assume the refurb work will be done in Beech Grove?

#31 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,569 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:45 PM

From the link:

during the next several months, hundreds of Amtrak employees, alongside our industry partners, will perform the maintenance and overhaul work at facilities across the northeastern U.S. including Albany, New York; Sunnyside, New York; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Wilmington, Delaware; Washington D.C. Lynchburg, Virginia; Norfolk, Virginia; and Roanoke, Virginia.

Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#32 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 10:14 PM

Service begins Oct. 31. Why would you not think it was a real thing?

It was a little joke that couldn't. Sorry.

I thought I was noting that while service hasn't yet begun (tho I'm confident that it will), but ALREADY Roanoke is named as a facility for maintenance and overhaul.

That's going from zero to being listed along with Albany, Sunnyside, Philly, Wilmington, and Washington pretty dayum fast! Who knew that Amtrak had such facilities in place? Paid for by Virginia? Maybe they mean that NS has facilities in Roanoke (and Lynchburg? and Norfolk?) that will do some of the work on contract.

Edited by WoodyinNYC, 09 September 2017 - 10:15 PM.

#33 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,215 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:03 AM

This seems like a well-thought-out move; they're doing a very cheap and simple refresh which shouldn't cost too much and which any shop should be able to do.  But it'll look spiffier.  (Of course, I bet when they take the surfaces off of some of those interiors, they'll discover hidden damage which requires sending some of the cars into Beech Grove for heavy work, but it's better to find that now rather than later.)

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#34 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:54 AM

Is it Beech or Delaware for the AM1s? Either way, the point about uncovering hidden problems is certainly valid. Finding hidden corrosion under a cafe counter or restroom floor would not be a shocker...

#35 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,195 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:13 PM

Is it Beech or Delaware for the AM1s? Either way, the point about uncovering hidden problems is certainly valid. Finding hidden corrosion under a cafe counter or restroom floor would not be a shocker...

Usually it is Bear DE or Wilmington DE.

#36 Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Interests:Public Safety, passenger rail, travel, hunting, fishing

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:58 PM

Now only if we can get new room modules for the Viewliner I Sleepers.  I've always been repulsed by the roomette toilets (never going to be pleased with those), but on our LSL trip on the 11th from CHI-NYP I can attest that the roomette me and Mrs. Blackwolf were in was extremely worn out.

The only things that seemed "refreshed" were the fabric on the seats and the curtains, both being things I can imagine are redone on a regular basis.  But the room itself was borderline broken.  Carpet was brown and threadbare, the fiberglass of the walls and shelves were chipped and cracked all over, the module squeaked and rattled beyond what duct tape could fix.  The rest of the car was in like condition, and the sleeper ahead of ours was a notch or two worse off.

If RailPlan is not completely bankrupt and out of business, I sincerely hope Mr. Andersen and Mr. Moorman are looking to fix these worn out car interiors next.  Even if it means pulling sleepers off of some trains temporarily to do so.  I can't see some of the interiors lasting too many more years before completely becoming a dumpster fire.

Edited by Blackwolf, 19 September 2017 - 04:59 PM.

Amtrak
Capitol Corridor (too many times to count!); Coast Starlight (x21); California Zephyr (x7); Empire Builder (x2); Lake Shore Limited (x4); Maple Leaf (x1); Adirondack (x2); Cascades (x1); Pacific Surfliner (x6); San Joaquin (x8); Capitol Limited (x1); Cardinal (x2); Acela (x1)
VIA Rail
Ocean (x4); Windsor Corridor (x2); The Canadian (x1)

#37 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:09 PM

Now only if we can get new room modules for the Viewliner I Sleepers.  ... on our LSL trip on the 11th from CHI-NYP I can attest that the roomette me and Mrs. Blackwolf were in was extremely worn out.

If RailPlan is not completely bankrupt and out of business

I sincerely hope Mr. Andersen and Mr. Moorman are looking to fix these worn out car interiors next.  Even if it means pulling sleepers off of some trains temporarily to do so.  I can't see some of the interiors lasting too many more years before completely becoming a dumpster fire.

I assume RailPlan is doing O.K.

True that CAF reported problems with a key supplier that has gone out of business, but it had to do with the trucks, not the modules.

iiuc, the as-yet unfunded plan is to overhaul the Viewliner I fleet after all the V II's are delivered. So as CAF misses deadlines, the rehab program also gets postponed. Not a problem this fiscal year or next because nobody is ready. But Amtrak could need funding to do the make-overs when that time comes.

#38 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,051 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:35 PM

Usually it is Bear DE or Wilmington DE.

I doubt Wilmington simply cause they're mainly working on the Electric Fleet most of the time. But at the same time I don't see why they couldn't handle a coach overhaul. 

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#39 tommylicious

tommylicious

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:12 AM

Isn't this that ex-airline CEO reducing legroom by 60% under the guise of a "refresh" ?

#40 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,552 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography, reading. And any combination thereof. :)

Posted 20 September 2017 - 02:51 AM

Isn't this that ex-airline CEO reducing legroom by 60% under the guise of a "refresh" ?

Nothing at all about reducing legroom in the refreshing.  There has been some talk about reducing legroom in some trains in order to create a third class of seating along with first/business class and coach, but that all it is is talk.  And even at that I see nothing about a 60% reduction.

Amtrak miles traveled: 85410
Pre-Amtrak miles traveled:8478
Bustitution miles traveled:450
States traveled through on Amtrak: 44

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users