Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Someone explain to me about the price of Sleepers & Roomettes

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kendoggbyrd_*

Guest_kendoggbyrd_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:42 AM

What is the general rule? Do they change prices weekly or monthly or is it based on how many buy one on a particular train? I was eyeing a roomette on a WASH-CHI Cardinal train and but I can't afford it now. I was wondering how long I had before prices go up?

#2 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,038 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:46 AM

It's updated in real time and is based on several factors, including how many compartments are currently sold, how many compartments have sold in the past for the dates you're traveling, and when you make your purchase.

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#3 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:52 AM

D/A is right. I would suggest looking at the Cap Limited WAS to Chicago, unless there are particular things you want to see on the Cardinal route, it generally prices out better, runs daily, and has regular diner and lounge facilities.

Edited by PVD, 07 September 2017 - 11:53 AM.

#4 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:03 PM

What is the general rule? Do they change prices weekly or monthly or is it based on how many buy one on a particular train? I was eyeing a roomette on a WASH-CHI Cardinal train and but I can't afford it now. I was wondering how long I had before prices go up?

The speed of light is faster than Amtrak's price changes but not by a lot. They do come pretty close to warp speed.

#5 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:24 PM

Same general rules as airlines, yield management.  As soon as someone books the last accomodation in the inventory bucket, the price goes up.  Lots of demand? Shrink or eliminate inventory in the lower bucket.  On the other hand, if it isn't selling they'll open up inventory in the low buckets.

If you see a good fare you determine is good after research (such as checking Amsnag to get an idea of what the buckets are), grab it.

SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr, Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-Orlando), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal), BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#6 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:36 PM

As for bucket pricing yes that is the rule but its not always based on booking early to get the best price.  We've seen ticket prices open very high on some trains and then get adjusted as sales progress. During the busy summer months (as on the California Zephyr) even by watching fares on Amsnag we have not seen much if any low bucket pricing.  If you want to travel via Amtrak in a sleeper, the best way to save money is by following the fares and traveling during the slow season.

#7 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:35 PM

Even seasonally, try and be a little flexible on travel days (if possible) it can make a big difference

#8 Guest_kendoggbyrd_*

Guest_kendoggbyrd_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2017 - 06:37 PM

As for bucket pricing yes that is the rule but its not always based on booking early to get the best price.  We've seen ticket prices open very high on some trains and then get adjusted as sales progress. During the busy summer months (as on the California Zephyr) even by watching fares on Amsnag we have not seen much if any low bucket pricing.  If you want to travel via Amtrak in a sleeper, the best way to save money is by following the fares and traveling during the slow season.

What is the slow season? The Fall? The Winter?

#9 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,451 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 09 September 2017 - 06:52 PM

CHI-WAS? Winter, mostly.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#10 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:31 PM

And CHI-WAS you generally see a disparity between Cardinal and CL

#11 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 02:39 PM

The CL almost always is less than the Cardinal. The CL has SSL, DC, and a better menu.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                 Coast Starlight                          

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 211,000

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users