Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

what's up with CONO meals

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 George K

George K

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • Interests:Ask me!

Posted 22 October 2017 - 05:57 PM

Rode the City of New Orleans this weekend. We departed on Friday afternoon from NOLA. We had a dinner reservation for the second seating (5:45) and when we were seated, we were told that one of the dinner options (the beef bourguignon, which we wanted) was gone.

Really?

The second seating, before 6 PM?

The cafe car was more than half empty and they were *already* out of one of the entrees?

Our LSA was gracious enough to get a microwave pizza from the other side (at no cost - as a substitution), and I had the Mediterranean chicken which was OK, but not great.

Perhaps Amtrak should revise the stocking of meals on that train.

Very disappointed. The food service has deteriorated every time I've ridden it, and that's four times in the last 3 years.

4/1/1955 - NYC "Pacemaker" - NYP to CHI; 9/14 - EB - CHI to PDX , CS - PDX to EMY, CZ - EMY to CHI; 3/15 CONO - Round trip; 9/15 CL CHI to WAS, Acela WAS to BOS, LSL BOS to CHI; 11/15 CONO - Round trip; 5/16 EB - Round trip; 12/16 CONO -  Round Trip; 5/17 EB - Round trip; 10/17 CONO - Round trip

#42 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:37 PM

I'd be curious if they stock the train at both ends, or only in Chicago. Since it's a heat and serve, it isn't likely that it has to be disposed of if not used one way. 

#43 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:22 PM

Rode the City of New Orleans this weekend. We departed on Friday afternoon from NOLA. We had a dinner reservation for the second seating (5:45) and when we were seated, we were told that one of the dinner options (the beef bourguignon, which we wanted) was gone.

Really?

The second seating, before 6 PM?

The cafe car was more than half empty and they were *already* out of one of the entrees?

Our LSA was gracious enough to get a microwave pizza from the other side (at no cost - as a substitution), and I had the Mediterranean chicken which was OK, but not great.

Perhaps Amtrak should revise the stocking of meals on that train.

Very disappointed. The food service has deteriorated every time I've ridden it, and that's four times in the last 3 years.

When I rode on the Southwest Chief from Los Angeles to Chicago, before the end of the dinner service that first night out of Los Angeles, the diner had run out of small bottles of a white wine.

#44 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,368 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:51 PM

I had the same problem on the Coast Starlight. I ordered a double Jack Daniels while departing LAUS and wiped out their entire stock for the rest of the trip (according to what I was told). No wonder it's so difficult for Amtrak F&B to make a profit (or even break even) when they can't even stock high margin nonperishable products.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 23 October 2017 - 03:27 PM.

#45 greatcats

greatcats

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:02 PM

Best Amtrak meal I ever had was on the CONO. The chef brought his own spices and had catfish cooked perfectly out of New Orleans (his home town). It was wonderful. On another trip the diner/lounge brought her own spices from the West Indies. Best Bloody Mary I've ever had. I'm sure both were taking a risk by not having the 'approved' bland stuff usually offered, but Amtrak needs more employees that show some initiative and are proud of their job.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
I was a commuter railroad employee in NJ for many years until 2002, and have since been a tour guide at Grand Canyon National Park and Ketchikan, Alaska. Also, have been a National Park Volunteer at Hawaii Volcanoes and now Sunset Crater Volcano near my home. If not on Amtrak, also like long road trips, camping some of the time.

#46 tommylicious

tommylicious

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:27 PM

I've refused to ride this train ever since Amtrak brought in the prison food.

#47 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,531 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:30 PM

PVD asked about the stocking of the Diner in his post.

I'm not current on all of the the location of Commissaries, but I do know that the meals that the CONO,Sunset,Crescent (and Texas Eagle) leave their originating Station with, have to last for the entire roundtrip of the train.

Hence #20,#58,#1 and #22 tend to "run out" of many items before completing their runs.

However,I've often boarded LD Trains at their originating points ( mostly in Chicago) where the Diner was "out" of items during the first meal served.LSAs have told me the Commissary either only gave them a small number of items or even None! Like all things Amtrak YMMV.

Edited by Bob Dylan, 23 October 2017 - 03:31 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#48 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,828 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:00 PM

I've refused to ride this train ever since Amtrak brought in the prison food.

Rumor is one more step down and the CONO menu will be bread and water. I just looked at the Federal Bureau of Prisons Menu online. The food has also been cheapened in the last couple of years but it does look similar to what is served on the CONO. Maybe they hired an Amtrak food service manager to get ideas.

#49 Manny T

Manny T

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:05 PM

Don't know who's being serious and who's joking, but doesn't Aramark act as commissary for Amtrak, and don't they also service correctional facilities? Maybe they get the orders mixed up sometimes.

#50 tommylicious

tommylicious

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:07 PM

Like THIS: http://pixel.nymag.c...750.h560.2x.jpg

Don't know who's being serious and who's joking, but doesn't Aramark act as commissary for Amtrak, and don't they also service correctional facilities? Maybe they get the orders mixed up sometimes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users