Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

KarTrak, the unsuccessful idea that laid the tracks for barcodes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:35 AM

Right Track, Wrong Station

KarTrak, an innovation originally built for the rail system, was quickly discarded by train operators. But without it, we wouldn’t have modern barcodes.

http://tedium.co/201...arcode-history/

Edited by FrensicPic, 06 September 2017 - 10:36 AM.

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#2 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:19 AM

Thanks for the link!

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

. . . . . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far.

#3 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,048 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:37 AM

Interesting article but from my perspective the most confusing part of the invention has to do with the use of color bars on external surfaces exposed to the sun and elements.  Just seems like a horrible idea to me.  Presumably it was envisioned as a method for including more information, but at the cost of eventual fading and error introduction.  I only have limited experience with barcode implementation but I've never seen another universal standard that used more than two colors, almost always black and white.

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#4 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:42 AM

Interesting article but from my perspective the most confusing part of the invention has to do with the use of color bars on external surfaces exposed to the sun and elements.  Just seems like a horrible idea to me.  Presumably it was envisioned as a method for including more information, but at the cost of eventual fading and error introduction.  I only have limited experience with barcode implementation but I've never seen another universal standard that used more than two colors, almost always black and white.

Every barcode or other scannable system must have a high level of error tolerance. Minor errors or distortions caused by dirt, raindrops, chipping, camera shake etc should not lead to misidentification. Colors fade over time and behave differently under different lighting conditions and are tus problematic. I agree that the concept was probably not ideal.

#5 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:51 PM

Thanks for the link! I remember seeing those as a kid and hadn't thought about those in years.

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users