Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Upgrading rail passes

1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Michelle_*

Guest_Michelle_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:12 PM

Hello!

I'm contemplating a multi-city trip using a rail pass.

Question: if I want to upgrade to a roomette instead of coach for a couple of longer segments, is the additional charge for those segments the difference between the price I paid for the rail pass and the full price of the roomette? Or is it figured out in some other way?

Second question: how many segments makes it worth buying a rail pass rather than just booking regularly? 

Thanks so much!

Michelle

#2 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:26 PM

Rail fare and accommodation charge for the roomette are separate. The pass covers the rail fare. You would pay the full accommodation charge for the roomette at the current "bucket" in effect at the time you book the roomette, just like anyone else.

I can't speak to the break even point of the pass.

Edited by zephyr17, 03 September 2017 - 11:28 PM.

SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr, Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-Orlando), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal), BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users