Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Hurricane Irma and Amtrak

• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#41 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,757 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:46 PM

According to the latest forecast based on the NHC 20:00EDT Wednesday run results, we in Melbourne get the highest wind speeds at 21:00 EDT on Sunday, with winds winding down through the night, and pretty much down to normal by 7am Monday.

But of course, all this will change fifteen times or more between now and Sunday. ;)

I guess tomorrow I should start putting up the hurricane shutters. Dusted them off today and verified that all the anchors are in ship shape. Just gotta pop em into place and tighten the anchor screws.

#42 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,363 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:57 PM

According to the latest forecast based on the NHC 20:00EDT Wednesday run results, we in Melbourne get the highest wind speeds at 21:00 EDT on Sunday, with winds winding down through the night, and pretty much down to normal by 7am Monday.

But of course, all this will change fifteen times or more between now and Sunday. ;)

I guess tomorrow I should start putting up the hurricane shutters. Dusted them off today and verified that all the anchors are in ship shape. Just gotta pop em into place and tighten the anchor screws.

Make sure all your lizard friends get inside before you lock up.  ;)

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#43 Train2104

Train2104

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:23 PM

Turning at ORL and JAX is interesting, especially without corresponding northbounds originating at ORL/JAX.

#44 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:38 PM

Turning at ORL and JAX is interesting, especially without corresponding northbounds originating at ORL/JAX.

It is possible that Amtrak might originate in Orlando/Jacksonville on the first day of service restoration but they are not confident enough in the date on which service will resume to make such an announcement.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app
Trains travelled: Capitol Limited WAS-CHI, Cardinal CHI-WAS, Carolinian CLT-RGH, Coast Starlight SJC-LAX, Crescent BAL-ATL, Empire Builder MSP-CHI, Empire Service NYP-NFL+NYG-YNY, Lake Shore Limited BOS-ALB, Maple Leaf ALB-NYP, Northeast Regional FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, Pacific Surfliner LAX-ANA, Pennsylvanian NYP-PGH, Piedmont RGH-DNC, Silver Meteor ORL-NYP, Silver Star FTL-WAS, 2016 Autumn Express NYP-HAR-NYP

Upcoming New Routes: Lake Shore Limited NYP-CHI (December), California Zephyr CHI-RIC (December), Coast Starlight SJC-SEA (December), Empire Builder SEA-MSP (January).

Non Amtrak: Atlanta Streetcar, Caltrain, CTA, DC Streetcar, Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, LIRR, MARC, MARTA, MBTA Subway, Metra, Metrolink, Metro-North, METRO Transit Light Rail, Miami Metrorail, Muni Metro, NJT Commuter Rail, North Star, NYC Subway, PATH, Pittsburgh Light Rail, River Line (NJT), SEPTA Regional Rail, SEPTA Subway, South Shore Line, Sunrail, Staten Island Railway, TECO Streetcar, Tri-Rail, Washington Metro

#45 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,092 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:07 PM

I hope Amtrak is doing something to protect equipment at Hialeah.  Terrible location for a maintenance base to be at ground level.  Maybe they'll deadhead it out with the last trains north?

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#46 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,757 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:04 PM

Make sure all your lizard friends get inside before you lock up.  ;)
They know how to get in even when everything is locked up ;)

Edited by jis, 07 September 2017 - 04:44 AM.

#47 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,090 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:09 PM

Are those Lounge lizards?:huh: :giggle:
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#48 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:35 AM

Its difficult to say where Irma's exact path will be but Southern FL is the most likely target. I pray for forum members, my friends and family who may be in Florida and certainly hope that life will be saved and damage avoided.. For those wishing to evacuate, I just read that some airlines have raised their fares by a factor of 10X. Nice of them isn't it? 

#49 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,363 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:56 AM

Its difficult to say where Irma's exact path will be but Southern FL is the most likely target. I pray for forum members, my friends and family who may be in Florida and certainly hope that life will be saved and damage avoided.. For those wishing to evacuate, I just read that some airlines have raised their fares by a factor of 10X. Nice of them isn't it? 

Fake News

http://money.cnn.com...ghts/index.html

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#50 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,449 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:29 AM

Perhaps you should look into some more reputable reporting.

What is nice of the airlines is pulling off one last flight out of San Juan in between the bands of the hurricane to get 180 more people to safety.

https://twitter.com/...487561182908416

DJDml8eWAAAvFuM.jpg
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#51 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,037 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:33 AM

You're both equally right/wrong. At first the airlines jacked up fares to borderline insane levels. But after people started complaining and attacking them on social media the airlines started allowing for manual reductions and modifying the pricing algorithms to cap the cost of certain flights. That being said, this is a relatively new development and is not something to be counted on in the future. Right now everyone is really interested in hurricanes, but if these types of storms start to become more common or the news media loses interest in hurricane coverage the airlines might decide the bad press is worth the extra money.

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#52 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,449 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:45 AM

To be more correct, the pricing algorithms jacked the prices up based solely on massive demand and proximity to the travel dates.

Unless you have something else that the airlines deliberately went in and modified the pricing upward specifically because of the hurricane, which is what Dennis accused them of.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#53 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,019 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:03 AM

DJDml8eWAAAvFuM.jpg

Dat flight path... <3

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#54 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,997 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:30 AM

How are our Florida AUers doing?

Hope everyone is Safe and prepared, and also that Mother Nature will steer Irma away from the Sunshine State out to Sea!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#55 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,037 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:34 AM

To be more correct, the pricing algorithms jacked the prices up based solely on massive demand and proximity to the travel dates. Unless you have something else that the airlines deliberately went in and modified the pricing upward specifically because of the hurricane, which is what Dennis accused them of.

For most customers it makes no practical difference if a human entered the price by following the rule book or a human converted the rule book into code that enters the price on their behalf. The result for the consumer is the same either way. Rather than worry about a distinction without a difference it would make more sense to focus on the fact that social media and fear of being the one airline that refused to react actually managed to help millions of travelers get where they needed to go. That's been a rare occurrence for airline travelers after years of consolidation and reductions in available seat miles.  I would also suggest that the motivation for (and future cost of) purchasing Jet Blue just went up.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 07 September 2017 - 10:39 AM.

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#56 Cho Cho Charlie

Cho Cho Charlie

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Starships

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:39 PM

What a hurricane back in 1935 did to a train in Florida.

_97692219_n041488.jpg

Edited by Cho Cho Charlie, 07 September 2017 - 12:39 PM.

Me

Proud supporter of the Trails to Rails program.

#57 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,449 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:42 PM

Rather than worry about a distinction without a difference

I'm glad that it doesn't make a difference for you. For others it does.
Posted Image

#58 Cho Cho Charlie

Cho Cho Charlie

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Starships

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:52 PM

The Silver Star Train 92 and Silver Meteor Train 98 (Miami - New York City) are cancelled for Sept. 9 - 11.

I was just watching the news, and they are reporting that evacuation highways are already crowded, and gas stations are starting to run out of gas.

This got me wondering if Amtrak would have extra cars on their last north-bound 92 and 98 (on Sept 8?), to offer an option to those wanting to evacuate north out of Miami. Or no one in the Miami area would ever think of taking Amtrak?
Me

Proud supporter of the Trails to Rails program.

#59 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:55 PM

Is Tampa evacuating or not? I have a friend in St. Pete who said they would know today, but haven't heard anything yet. My cousin in central Florida is hunkered down in their poured concrete house (I hope yours is too JIS).

I gather my friends in San Juan are ok (luckily almost everything in PR is built from poured concrete and it's relatively hilly in the San Juan area too).

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#60 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,037 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:15 PM

Rather than worry about a distinction without a difference

I'm glad that it doesn't make a difference for you. For others it does.

Let me see if I can understand the difference as you see it.  The airlines followed their own standard operating procedure which they themselves had crafted and was designed from the start to result in severe fare increases each and every time an exceptional number of people wanted to travel to or from the same location at the same time.  But what's important to you is that behind the scenes these fares were entered by an algorithm following a digital rule book rather than a human clerk following the exact same rules from a physical book.  I guess this is intended to point out that the airlines are only willing to charge whatever they can get 99.99% of the time and it's the algorithm's fault that this briefly reached 100% until someone stepped in and manually set it back to 99.99% again?  Yeah, I can see why that's such an important case to make.  :rolleyes:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users