Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Hurricane Irma and Amtrak

• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#21 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:47 PM

I have never heard of a railroad removing road crossing gates prior to a pending severe storm.  They certainly didn't do that prior to Hurricane Harvey.  That would've taken weeks.

CSX has done it before in South Florida.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app
Trains travelled: Capitol Limited WAS-CHI, Cardinal CHI-WAS, Carolinian CLT-RGH, Coast Starlight SJC-LAX, Crescent BAL-ATL, Empire Builder MSP-CHI, Empire Service NYP-NFL+NYG-YNY, Lake Shore Limited BOS-ALB, Maple Leaf ALB-NYP, Northeast Regional FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, Pacific Surfliner LAX-ANA, Pennsylvanian NYP-PGH, Piedmont RGH-DNC, Silver Meteor ORL-NYP, Silver Star FTL-WAS, 2016 Autumn Express NYP-HAR-NYP

Upcoming New Routes: Lake Shore Limited NYP-CHI (December), California Zephyr CHI-RIC (December), Coast Starlight SJC-SEA (December), Empire Builder SEA-MSP (January).

Non Amtrak: Atlanta Streetcar, Caltrain, CTA, DC Streetcar, Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, LIRR, MARC, MARTA, MBTA Subway, Metra, Metrolink, Metro-North, METRO Transit Light Rail, Miami Metrorail, Muni Metro, NJT Commuter Rail, North Star, NYC Subway, PATH, Pittsburgh Light Rail, River Line (NJT), SEPTA Regional Rail, SEPTA Subway, South Shore Line, Sunrail, Staten Island Railway, TECO Streetcar, Tri-Rail, Washington Metro

#22 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:29 PM

It's part of standard operating procedures in Florida and I think all of CSX to be honest.

View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net

Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)

Steam Engines I've worked behind

Norfolk & Western No. 611

Nickel Plate Road No. 765

Southern Pacific No. 4449

#23 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:05 AM

Interesting.  Then, how long does it take to put them all back?  I presume that would be a requirement before returning to normal train operation.

#24 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:24 AM

It doesn't take that long to remove the gates each signal maintainer normally is responsible for about thirty miles of track (at least in SC). So it's a fairly rapid process.

Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)

#25 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,037 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:21 AM

It doesn't take that long to remove the gates each signal maintainer normally is responsible for about thirty miles of track (at least in SC). So it's a fairly rapid process.

Thirty miles is a lot where I live.  Enough to included dozens of grade crossings through busy roadways, several of them four lanes wide. With all the rail fans in FL you'd think there would be plenty of videos and articles about this amazing orchestrated shutdown of the CSX system every time a major storm comes near.

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#26 A Voice

A Voice

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:28 AM

With all the rail fans in FL you'd think there would be plenty of videos and articles about this amazing orchestrated shutdown of the CSX system every time a major storm comes near.

I would think those Florida railfans have far more important things to do, with a major storm imminent where they reside, than film a guy taking lengths of wood off a crossing arm.  

#27 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,037 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:47 AM

With all the rail fans in FL you'd think there would be plenty of videos and articles about this amazing orchestrated shutdown of the CSX system every time a major storm comes near.

I would think those Florida railfans have far more important things to do, with a major storm imminent where they reside, than film a guy taking lengths of wood off a crossing arm. 

I would think CSX would have more important things to do than take down every grade crossing gate before every storm.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 06 September 2017 - 11:51 AM.

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#28 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:18 PM

I've spent a lot of time with the CsX signal guys. It depends a lot on the territory. I can speak for my territory in which I spent time with the signal department.

CN&L sub
C60-C70 is managed by the Spartanburg Sub guy giving him about forty miles
Hoagie C60-C30
Ed C30-C0 plus some extra crossings in downtown Columbia.

Monroe Sub
SG428-SG397 belongs to Mark
SG397-SG363 belongs to Rex
SG363-332 belongs to Kevin.

Now granted a lot of that is rural South Carolina but there are some fairly large cities on those routes as well. And that was the assignment last time I was in Clinton so 2014.

In times of weather emergency they tend to work together. And most of the year Hoagie and Rex work in each other's territory all year long together.

#29 A Voice

A Voice

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:57 PM

I would think CSX would have more important things to do than take down every grade crossing gate before every storm.

Not at all.  With respect, I'm not sure why you find it remarkable that companies or individuals in the path of a major storm (Irma) would take precautions to protect their property.  You're going to have to reinstall the gates anyway if you leave them in place only to have them damaged or destroyed (become projectiles) by the storm; Why have to deal with unnecessary damage afterwards - when you're anxious to get the main back open - when a few prudent preparations are so much simpler.  

#30 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:50 PM

The Miami Sun Sentinel reports that Tri-Rail will secure their crossing arms in the up position, if they need to.  I wonder if that's a faster operation than taking the arm off, storing it, then driving it back to its location to put it back on.

#31 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,037 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:51 PM

With respect, I'm not sure why you find it remarkable that companies or individuals in the path of a major storm (Irma) would take precautions to protect their property. You're going to have to reinstall the gates anyway if you leave them in place only to have them damaged or destroyed (become projectiles) by the storm; Why have to deal with unnecessary damage afterwards - when you're anxious to get the main back open - when a few prudent preparations are so much simpler.

This doesn't sound terribly simple to me, nor have I ever seen or even heard of anyone doing this previously, and I live near a major hurricane path. It's also unclear where these things would go that Irma can't reach.  Is there some sort of special underground bunker for crossing gates?  Out here crossing gates are the responsibility of the city and state, not the railroad.  If they're damaged or down the railroad can use other methods for protecting an active crossing. Not saying it's impossible that CSX does this, just that it's odd and unusual relative to my own experiences.

#32 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:57 PM

With respect, I'm not sure why you find it remarkable that companies or individuals in the path of a major storm (Irma) would take precautions to protect their property. You're going to have to reinstall the gates anyway if you leave them in place only to have them damaged or destroyed (become projectiles) by the storm; Why have to deal with unnecessary damage afterwards - when you're anxious to get the main back open - when a few prudent preparations are so much simpler.

This doesn't sound terribly simple to me, nor have I ever seen or even heard of anyone doing this previously, and I live near a major hurricane path. It's also unclear where these things would go that Irma can't reach.  Is there some sort of special underground bunker for crossing gates?  Out here crossing gates are the responsibility of the city and state, not the railroad.  If they're damaged or down the railroad can use other methods for protecting an active crossing. Not saying it's impossible that CSX does this, just that it's odd and unusual relative to my own experiences.

They go to wherever is the supply depot for the signal maintainers. Usually it's in some form of old intermodal container, a building, or in a completely fenced in yard. In SC in the Piedmont area CSX has two such locations greenwood maxwell yard and Clinton, SC that I know of for fact.

#33 chakk

chakk

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 02:53 PM

I would expect cancellations to begin at least 24 hours before forecast landfall. They would not want a southbound train to get trapped in Florida in such a powerful hurricane.

#34 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:18 PM

Are there any plans to move the equipment north? It would make sense for the purposes of extra capacity on Northound trains and would also protect the equipment itself in the event of severe damage to Hialeah. There was a thread in Random Discussions about the issues that flooding could cause for the Amtrak facility (the thread was about the possibility of Amtrak permanently moving the facility due to climate change).

Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Edited by brianpmcdonnell17, 06 September 2017 - 03:20 PM.

Trains travelled: Capitol Limited WAS-CHI, Cardinal CHI-WAS, Carolinian CLT-RGH, Coast Starlight SJC-LAX, Crescent BAL-ATL, Empire Builder MSP-CHI, Empire Service NYP-NFL+NYG-YNY, Lake Shore Limited BOS-ALB, Maple Leaf ALB-NYP, Northeast Regional FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, Pacific Surfliner LAX-ANA, Pennsylvanian NYP-PGH, Piedmont RGH-DNC, Silver Meteor ORL-NYP, Silver Star FTL-WAS, 2016 Autumn Express NYP-HAR-NYP

Upcoming New Routes: Lake Shore Limited NYP-CHI (December), California Zephyr CHI-RIC (December), Coast Starlight SJC-SEA (December), Empire Builder SEA-MSP (January).

Non Amtrak: Atlanta Streetcar, Caltrain, CTA, DC Streetcar, Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, LIRR, MARC, MARTA, MBTA Subway, Metra, Metrolink, Metro-North, METRO Transit Light Rail, Miami Metrorail, Muni Metro, NJT Commuter Rail, North Star, NYC Subway, PATH, Pittsburgh Light Rail, River Line (NJT), SEPTA Regional Rail, SEPTA Subway, South Shore Line, Sunrail, Staten Island Railway, TECO Streetcar, Tri-Rail, Washington Metro

#35 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:37 PM

Right now, Amtrak has blocked reservations for all service to and from points south of Jacksonville beginning tomorrow (9/7) and extending through Monday (9/11). The Auto Train is blocked for the same period.  Blocking reservations does not necessarily equate to cancellation, but it anticipates the probability.

#36 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,502 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:46 PM

I was able to get a reservation on #98 0n Sat the 9th to Was, but I just got notified they have cancelled the res because of Irma!!!

Looks like a hurricane party!!!  :huh:

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(6) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(6), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58, #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (4), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63, San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422 (2), Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 60,169 miles & 41 states!

HAVE FUN

#37 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:02 PM

I'm sure that an Amtrak employee on the forum could give some insight. Also, flights may be affected (deviations at best), as the tops of storm clouds could reach 50,000 feet (about 15 km)

Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, SP4449 excursion 2015
Current Amtrak mileage: 20271 miles plus 130 Ambus miles

#38 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,363 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:05 PM

From Orlando Sentinel.com 9/4/17:  Hurricane Irma forecast to be in Florida on Friday

http://www.orlandose...0904-story.html

Hurricane Irma is working its way through the Caribbean today and could reach Florida by Friday, forecasters say.

Meteorologists expect the Category 3 hurricane, with maximum sustained winds of 120 mph, to remain a “dangerous major hurricane” through the week and to arrive in South Florida by Friday morning.

Modeling by the National Hurricane Center shows the outer bands of the slow-moving, potentially dangerous storm lashing Key West and Miami by 8 a.m.

Did she slow down?  She's not expected till Sunday, now, right?

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#39 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:24 PM

The situation remains fluid. CSX still has to weigh in.

Amtrak Suspends Service in Florida

Amtrak Suspends Service in Florida
Severe weather expected to impact region

Sept. 6, 2017

6 p.m. ET

Amtrak will temporarily suspend services in Florida due to severe weather impacting the southeast region.

The Silver Star Train 92 and Silver Meteor Train 98 (Miami - New York City) are cancelled for Sept. 9 - 11.

The Silver Star Train 91 (New York City - Miami) will operate from New York City to Orlando, Fla., on Thursday, Sept. 7. The Silver Meteor Train 97 (New York City - Miami) will operate from New York City to Jacksonville, Fla. Trains 91 and 97 are cancelled for Sept. 8 - 10.

The Auto Train 53 (Lorton, Va. - Sanford, Fla.) is cancelled for Saturday, Sept. 9. The Auto Train 52 (Sanford, Fla. - Lorton, Va.) is cancelled on Sept. 10 and 11.

No alternate transportation will be provided.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.

Anyone can subscribe to automated email or text message notifications if Amtrak trains are behind schedule at specific stations. Notifications can be given for up to six trains and stations by either text or email and delivered when you choose - on a single day, every day, or just certain days of the week. Create a subscription at Amtrak.com/delayalerts.

Passengers with travel plans also can confirm their train's status, change their plans or review refund information using a range of tools – including Amtrak.com, smartphone apps or by calling 800-USA-RAIL. Service Alerts, Passenger Notices and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/alerts.

To be notified of service disruptions on the Northeast Corridor (including Acela Express, Northeast Regional and other corridor services), follow @AmtrakNEC on Twitter.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#40 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,006 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:31 PM

From Orlando Sentinel.com 9/4/17:  Hurricane Irma forecast to be in Florida on Friday

http://www.orlandose...0904-story.html

Hurricane Irma is working its way through the Caribbean today and could reach Florida by Friday, forecasters say.

Meteorologists expect the Category 3 hurricane, with maximum sustained winds of 120 mph, to remain a “dangerous major hurricane” through the week and to arrive in South Florida by Friday morning.

Modeling by the National Hurricane Center shows the outer bands of the slow-moving, potentially dangerous storm lashing Key West and Miami by 8 a.m.

Did she slow down?  She's not expected till Sunday, now, right?

The latest I have heard is that she likely will hit Miami on Sunday morning and go up the length of Florida for about 24 hours.  Our forecasters think that we will get the worst of the storm around 3am Monday.  Of course things could change. 

Amtrak miles: 216,828; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Autumn Express 2015, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Autumn Express 2016, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users