LOSSAN accepting comments on Pacific Surfliner railfare changes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

surf

Survey and summary posted at this link:

http://pacificsurfliner.com/Fare-Restructuring/

-Single trips will have railfares go down as much as $2 per trip and up as much as $3 per trip, with some more extreme variations for one stop trips, with an average increase of 1.8%.

-10 ride tickets will have a fixed discount of 40% (some northern stations had a larger discount) based on the new railfares.

-10 ride tickets will have an extended validity for 60 days but will only be usable by the ticketed individual (today it's 45 days, and as long as the traveler ticketed is going, the same 10 ride ticket can be used by other people at one trip per person).

-No listed changes for business class (current accommodation charge is 50% of railfare) or peak holiday service (generally 25% increased railfare today).

Survey and summary posted at this link:

http://pacificsurfliner.com/Fare-Restructuring/

-Single trips will have railfares go down as much as $2 per trip and up as much as $3 per trip, with some more extreme variations for one stop trips, with an average increase of 1.8%.

-10 ride tickets will have a fixed discount of 40% (some northern stations had a larger discount) based on the new railfares.

-10 ride tickets will have an extended validity for 60 days but will only be usable by the ticketed individual (today it's 45 days, and as long as the traveler ticketed is going, the same 10 ride ticket can be used by other people at one trip per person).

-No listed changes for business class (current accommodation charge is 50% of railfare) or peak holiday service (generally 25% increased railfare today).
Ah if they change the 10 ride, that would be a shame. I know many people use it to travel with friends and family.

Agreed, as a frequent user of the ten ride. The best part (besides the roughly 40% discount) is the ability to use it with other members in my family or party. I value that benefit more than a 60 day validity period.

Agreed, as a frequent user of the ten ride. The best part (besides the roughly 40% discount) is the ability to use it with other members in my family or party. I value that benefit more than a 60 day validity period.
I'm guessing that this is exactly the reason that they're changing it.

They really want commuters using those multi ride tickets.

Truly shortsighted. They should be thrilled to get a bump in ridership from non-commuters as well. Like family and friends on leisure trips using a 10-pack, which happen more often on days and times not known to be heavy with commuters. Getting people on trains and out of their cars, at any time, should be part of their mission and if sharing a 10-pack helps do that, why not continue to allow it?

Hopefully those of us who agree will use this comment period to try to change their minds.

Truly shortsighted. They should be thrilled to get a bump in ridership from non-commuters as well. Like family and friends on leisure trips using a 10-pack, which happen more often on days and times not known to be heavy with commuters. Getting people on trains and out of their cars, at any time, should be part of their mission and if sharing a 10-pack helps do that, why not continue to allow it?

Hopefully those of us who agree will use this comment period to try to change their minds.
Considering the trains are overcrowded as is on many of the popular ones, I can see a reason for discontinuing the program. No need to try and shove more people in when your already bursting at the seams as is on many of the trains. I'd say make them only available on the less popular trains but that would be a total cluster f&*% to try and manage.

According to the minutes from the 12/06/17 meeting, they reviewed the feedback from the public outreach regarding the fare restructuring and, particularly, the changes to the 10-trip. It starts on page 102:

https://lossan.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=E1&ID=572774&GUID=EEEC40DA-F61E-43B8-AF5D-753D193D4D26

Public Outreach Results

A detailed summary of the outreach effort as well as the respondents and responses received is included in Attachment A. Staff has collated the results of the online survey submissions and of the total of 110 responses received, 60 were comments pertaining to the proposed fare structure. Of the comments pertaining to the proposed fare adjustments, the majority of respondents felt that the proposals are fair and the price adjustments minor.

In addition, 50 comments were directly related to the proposed adjustments to the 10-trip tickets. Proposed adjustments to the 10-trip tickets included an extension of the validity period from 45 days up to 60 days from the first use. This was a positive adjustment for many respondents as it provided greater flexibility and made the 10-trip tickets a more viable option for occasional riders. Also proposed was modifying the 10-trip ticket to make it valid for a single named passenger. The vast majority of respondents were opposed to this adjustment. The responses indicated that this removed flexibility for passengers, particularly for families, in the absence of discounts for groups of less than 15 passengers.

Impact of Public Outreach Effort

As a result of the comments received, staff is recommending that the proposed modifications to the 10-trip be adjusted. As previously recommended, the period of use will be extended from 45 day to 60 days. This makes the 10-trips a more viable option for the occasional rider and may be what encourages them to make the Pacific Surfliner their method of travel over other modes. However, the proposed adjustment to make the 10-trip valid for only a single named passenger is recommended to be deferred. This makes the 10-trip ticket a continued option for families and small groups until a new small group discount program is introduced.

Staff continues to pursue a methodology for the implementation of a small group discount with Amtrak. Additionally, in response to comments received, staff is looking into ways to enhance the current Amtrak Rewards loyalty program, especially as it pertains to monthly passes.
Next Steps

With Board approval of the fare policy and implementation schedule, staff will develop a public messaging campaign to inform Pacific Surfliner riders of the upcoming adjustments, to begin on January 15, 2018. The updated fare structure will go into effect on March 1, 2018.
The report also mentions LOSSAN rejected many of Amtrak's changes to the national discount policies which were scheduled to go into effect on January 9, 2018. I think this was discussed in a different thread here. The report includes the Surfliner's discount policy as Attachment B, which seems in line with the current policy, although I didn't do a in-depth comparison.

Back