Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

LOSSAN accepting comments on Pacific Surfliner railfare changes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_surf_*

Guest_surf_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:38 PM

Survey and summary posted at this link:

http://pacificsurfli...-Restructuring/

-Single trips will have railfares go down as much as $2 per trip and up as much as $3 per trip, with some more extreme variations for one stop trips, with an average increase of 1.8%.

-10 ride tickets will have a fixed discount of 40% (some northern stations had a larger discount) based on the new railfares.

-10 ride tickets will have an extended validity for 60 days but will only be usable by the ticketed individual (today it's 45 days, and as long as the traveler ticketed is going, the same 10 ride ticket can be used by other people at one trip per person).

-No listed changes for business class (current accommodation charge is 50% of railfare) or peak holiday service (generally 25% increased railfare today).

#2 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 03 September 2017 - 02:58 AM

Survey and summary posted at this link:

http://pacificsurfli...-Restructuring/

-Single trips will have railfares go down as much as $2 per trip and up as much as $3 per trip, with some more extreme variations for one stop trips, with an average increase of 1.8%.

-10 ride tickets will have a fixed discount of 40% (some northern stations had a larger discount) based on the new railfares.

-10 ride tickets will have an extended validity for 60 days but will only be usable by the ticketed individual (today it's 45 days, and as long as the traveler ticketed is going, the same 10 ride ticket can be used by other people at one trip per person).

-No listed changes for business class (current accommodation charge is 50% of railfare) or peak holiday service (generally 25% increased railfare today).

Ah if they change the 10 ride, that would be a shame. I know many people use it to travel with friends and family.

#3 hmy1

hmy1

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 05:00 PM

Agreed, as a frequent user of the ten ride. The best part (besides the roughly 40% discount) is the ability to use it with other members in my family or party. I value that benefit more than a 60 day validity period.

#4 sechs

sechs

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 05:07 PM

Agreed, as a frequent user of the ten ride. The best part (besides the roughly 40% discount) is the ability to use it with other members in my family or party. I value that benefit more than a 60 day validity period.

I'm guessing that this is exactly the reason that they're changing it.

They really want commuters using those multi ride tickets.

#5 Skyline

Skyline

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:04 AM

Truly shortsighted. They should be thrilled to get a bump in ridership from non-commuters as well. Like family and friends on leisure trips using a 10-pack, which happen more often on days and times not known to be heavy with commuters. Getting people on trains and out of their cars, at any time, should be part of their mission and if sharing a 10-pack helps do that, why not continue to allow it?

Hopefully those of us who agree will use this comment period to try to change their minds.

#6 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:35 PM

Truly shortsighted. They should be thrilled to get a bump in ridership from non-commuters as well. Like family and friends on leisure trips using a 10-pack, which happen more often on days and times not known to be heavy with commuters. Getting people on trains and out of their cars, at any time, should be part of their mission and if sharing a 10-pack helps do that, why not continue to allow it?

Hopefully those of us who agree will use this comment period to try to change their minds.

Considering the trains are overcrowded as is on many of the popular ones, I can see a reason for discontinuing the program. No need to try and shove more people in when your already bursting at the seams as is on many of the trains. I'd say make them only available on the less popular trains but that would be a total cluster f&*% to try and manage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users