Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

What to do? (19 hours in coach)

23 replies to this topic

#21 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:40 PM

I agree with your general sentiment about night travel. I just never really found it to be particularly good on that specific  route.......

#22 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:23 AM

Although we rarely travel in coach we do face the same challenge as to how to keep busy on the trip. During daylight hours we will go over to the sightseer lounge and view the scenery until it gets dark.  When in our room or at a seat, I pair my laptop to my cell phone and cruise the net on hobby sites, travel sites and news sites. Also bring a few magazines, some movie DVD's and a set of earphones. .  Come bedtime it can be hard to sleep on the train so my solution is a small cup of strong chamomile tea with a few drops of Bach's rescue remedy added. Works every time and doesn't make you drowsy like Benedryl.  Amtrak coach seats recline far more than airline seats and it is possible to sleep in coach.  If you have a few extra bucks to spare consider breakfast in the dining car.

#23 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:38 AM

Sadly, the particular route in question in this thread is single level, and lacks an SSL. The lounge comes from Boston and joins at Albany, and to sell B/C seating is a "split car" so there isn't even a lot of table space..... best bet is left side out of NYP, it gives you the Hudson and the Mohawk/Canal view at least through dark....

#24 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:32 PM

Sadly, the particular route in question in this thread is single level, and lacks an SSL. The lounge comes from Boston and joins at Albany, and to sell B/C seating is a "split car" so there isn't even a lot of table space..... best bet is left side out of NYP, it gives you the Hudson and the Mohawk/Canal view at least through dark....

OOPs sorry that I missed that. My bad.  

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users