LCH to NOL Should we plan on taking a bus?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margo

Lead Service Attendant
We are scheduled to ride to NOL Sept. 15 to continue on to the Northeast on the Crescent. I realize that no one knows for certain what will happen to the SL. One Greyhound arrives in NOL at 7:am, but the Crescent departs at 7:00 am. Since the stations are in the same terminal, has anyone had any experience making this connection. I would love it if we didn't have to spend the night in NOL, again. I sure hope NOL doesn't go the same way as Jacksonville. Thank you.

I haven't personally made this connection; however, I wouldn't trust a bus to arrive early, and Amtrak wouldn't hold the train for you. I'd try for at least two hours, if not more, as a buffer. (Unfortunately, this appears that you'd have to do an overnight, and there doesn't appear to be a good way to avoid that.)

If it were me, I'd get on that bus the previous day and enjoy a full 24 hours of NOL. Drink, Jazz, Poboys, and gumbo.

We have tried to make a bus and train connection to avoid staying in NOL but have never managed it. It's a great shame as the two are physically so interconnected but the timetables aren't! It's too big a risk that one or the other can be a little late so have stayed overnight.

As a general point on Greyhound which we have used 10's of times in the last few years they have mostly been on time to most destinations.

The bus is scheduled to arrive at 7 am, but what if it catches a red light on the way and does not arrive until 7:01 am or if there's a traffic jam on the way? Plus, you also have to consider the time walking from the bus portion of the station to the train portion of the station. (Much like at an airport, your flight arrives at gate 7 but your connecting flight departs from gate 19. You have to consider the time of walking also.)

Since the bus is scheduled to arrive at the exact same time the train is leaving, I wouldn't count on it for a connection.

The bus is scheduled to arrive at 7 am, but what if it catches a red light on the way and does not arrive until 7:01 am or if there's a traffic jam on the way? Plus, you also have to consider the time walking from the bus portion of the station to the train portion of the station. (Much like at an airport, your flight arrives at gate 7 but your connecting flight departs from gate 19. You have to consider the time of walking also.)
This. It is very likely, to a near certainty, that the train will depart from its originating station On Time. At the very least, the boarding gates are likely to be closed and locked on the stroke of seven. You would have to count on the bus being early. That's not a high percentage call.

Thanks everyone. As of today, it looks like the SL is running across Texas again. It looks like we'll be spending the night in NOL. We've been there many times. I think we've seen everything good (we're not partiers). We've noticed hostility the last couple of times.

Thanks everyone. As of today, it looks like the SL is running across Texas again. It looks like we'll be spending the night in NOL. We've been there many times. I think we've seen everything good (we're not partiers). We've noticed hostility the last couple of times.
Glad the Sunset isn't setting in El Paso( I'm riding on 9/25 to LAX from AUS), and I agree that New Orleans seems to be more hostile towards tourists than in the past. What a shame!

Last edited by a moderator:
and I agree that New Orleans seems to be more hostile towards tourists than in the past. What a shame!
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that. I stayed overnight there two years ago, going from the Sunset Ltd to the Crescent, and everyone I encountered was very nice to me. I wonder what changed.

Back