Hotels near NYP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austruck

Service Attendant
Booked a short NYC trip from Pittsburgh next April. Staying 3 nights. Looking for a reasonably priced hotel that's not a dump, fairly near to the station. Recommendations from this group are always taken seriously because I know you folks have been there, done that, many times over.

Thanks for any leads. I see a bunch of nearby hotels in the 3-star range that seem reasonably priced, but sometimes looks (and other reviews) are deceiving. :D

I stay at the La Quinta Manhattan, at 17 W. 32nd St., which in my experience has about the best rates for any decent hotel in Manhattan with a private bath. It is between 5th and 6th Aves and is about a 7 minute walk straight out of the 7th Ave entrance to Penn Station.

Stay away from the Hotel Pennsylvania.

It's been several years since I stayed at the Hotel Pennsylvania. Curious what might have changed. The bed wasn't great, but ok and the room was adequate, though at that time the rate wasn't terribly outrageous either. Best feature is convenience to Penn Station...can't beat right across the street. But I am no expert on NYC.

You'll probably find very good rates in April. My friend and I traveled there two weeks ago, during the high season for vacationers. The only reasonable rate we could find with an accessible room was in North Bergen, NJ. But if you choose to go, be sure to line it up with Uber. We took a taxi and it was $60. Going back to NYP we used Uber and it was $28.

It's not for everyone, but my go-to choice is The Jane (http://www.thejanenyc.com/). It's a little more than a mile from the station, I think, and if you're up for walking, you can do almost the whole trip on the High Line elevated park. Their standard rooms are extremely small (roomier than an Amtrak roomette, but not by that much), and bathrooms are shared. But it's a lovely old building in a nice location, and prices are good for New York.

It's been several years since I stayed at the Hotel Pennsylvania. Curious what might have changed. The bed wasn't great, but ok and the room was adequate, though at that time the rate wasn't terribly outrageous either. Best feature is convenience to Penn Station...can't beat right across the street. But I am no expert on NYC.
Gets really horrible reviews in Trip Advisor. Rat sightings, dirty rooms/stained sheets, blah, blah, blah. The public spaces downstairs look good though (I walk past it on the way to the La Quinta).

I usually stay at the Hilton Garden Hill Chelsea, which is a little more than a 1/4 mile walk from Penn Station. The prices vary depending on time of year, day of week, what is happening in NYC, etc. If the prices are too high there, I either use Hilton points or stay at the Hilton Newark Penn Station.

I reccomend the Newark Hilton. It's a nice hotel, much more reasonable than any New York hotel that quality, and you can get to Herald Square in ~30 minutes without stepping foot in the elements via PATH.

It is also just outside the Ironbound, which has excellent restaurants. For a really authentic Newark Portuguese restaurant, I can't reccomend Play Ball enough. It's about a black and a half down Ferry the other side of Newark Penn.

I also reccomend the Hotel Pennsylvania. It's not 5 stars by any stretch but it really gives you the slightly run down big city historic hotel experience. All you gotta do is cross the street.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also reccomend the Hotel Pennsylvania. It's not 5 stars by any stretch but it really gives you the slightly run down big city historic hotel experience. All you gotta do is cross the street.
I stayed at the Hotel Pennsylvania about 20 years ago and thought it was awful and run down then. My guess it is worse now. I would not stay there.

I usually stay at the Hilton Garden Hill Chelsea, which is a little more than a 1/4 mile walk from Penn Station. The prices vary depending on time of year, day of week, what is happening in NYC, etc. If the prices are too high there, I either use Hilton points or stay at the Hilton Newark Penn Station.
This is where we stay also. There are several other chain hotels in the Chelsea area around 28th - 30th between 8th avenue and 6th avenue, Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Hyatt House, Court Yard, Doubletree etc. All are relatively new and most are nice.

Another option I have used it to stay in Jersey City on the PATH line. Hotels tend to be much cheaper (about 1/2 price), but you are no longer in the city.

You said "reasonable" Austruck so my picks may not work--but reasonable for Manhattan is not reasonable for the rest of the country.

Best bet is Fairfield Inn @ 325 W. 33rd St.--you cannot believe how close this hotel is to Penn Station. All Marriotts with addresses in the West 20's and 30's are within walking distance.

Hotel Pennsylvania is a dump.

Never stayed at Hotel New Yorker, but on the corner of 8th Ave. and 34th St., it's one block away from Penn Station.

Some of the rooms at Hotel Pennsylvania have been remodeled.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1504306651.660462.jpg

It still gets mixed reviews on TripAdvisor, though.

My wife stayed at the Hotel Pennsylvania about ten years ago, and thought it was a dump.

I stayed at the Fairfield Inn and Suites at Penn Station in January, and found the room to be very comfortable and the breakfast very satisfying. I paid $189 plus tax for an upgraded view room.

The Fairfield Inn is literally across the street from a Penn Station entrance, and is perfectly fine, but it may take some luck to find three reasonably priced nights in a row.

I stayed at the Hotel Pennsylvania about 20 years ago and thought it was awful and run down then. My guess it is worse now. I would not stay there.
I have a friend and his son who stayed there last month and said it was pretty bad. Not kept clean and rooms were dingy. Too bad since it could be a very convenient place for railroad passengers.

This is what I recommend. Also look at other Manhattan hilton properties. Some properties near battery park are pretty competitive. Take the subway and it's easy.

Our go to is the Nylo Hotel on the Upper West Side, a few blocks from Central Park. If you are traveling light, you can catch the subway right across from Penn Station, and the stop be Hotel is a block and a half away. Otherwise the taxi is around 15 plus tip. If you sign up for their emails, you will get discount offers.

It depends what you like. If you want a clean, modern, large room with no character, you are probably right. If you like older hotels, the hotel Pennsylvania is a pretty authentic example of one. I tend to stay in hotels like it. And I happen to like that. I also insist absolutely on opening windows. Which a lot of the hotels mentioned dont have.

It depends what you like. If you want a clean, modern, large room with no character, you are probably right. If you like older hotels, the hotel Pennsylvania is a pretty authentic example of one. I tend to stay in hotels like it. And I happen to like that. I also insist absolutely on opening windows. Which a lot of the hotels mentioned dont have.
I love the Palmer House in Chicago, which is older and historic (but clean). I am not big on dirty, regardless of character. I know that the windows open at the Palmer House and I believe they open at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea.

I just stayed at the New Yorker, a block north of Penn on 8th Ave, and found it quite nice-I would say it occupies a nice middle ground between "comfortable but aggressively mundane business hotel" and "historic building full of, uh, 'character.'" It's a Wyndham property, apparently newly so. It looks like it's usually in the middle to high 100s costwise, which doesn't seem bad at all for the location. My windows didn't open, but they were huge and I was on the 40th floor, so I have no objection to that. They have a small exhibit in the basement about the property's history, which was worth stopping into since I was there anyway. There's a subway entrance directly outside the door that allows one to avoid the main Penn maze if getting onto the 8th Ave (A/C/E) line.

I've stayed at Hotel Pennsylvania in the past, but I couldn't say when. It must not have been too bad if I don't recall it one way or the other.

As a trainman in freight service for forty years, I've stayed in all kinds of company lodging ranging from crew dormitories to hotels and motels of various quality. I don't think I'll have a problem with the Hotel Pennsylvania.

Back