Any insight why SWC #4 three hours late day one??? 8/31/17

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Van

Service Attendant
#4 has been late so much of late.....and I will ride soon and HOPE to connect with Cardinal home. Three hours late at Flagstaff is not comforting.

BTW you miss the Cardinal and Amtrak puts you up for 2 days in Chicago right???

Last edited by a moderator:
SWC #4 is a guaranteed connection from Surfliner 785 from SAN. Yesterday, I think the earlier Surfliner 583 broke down and was eventually coupled with 785. By the time they got to FUL, they were over four hours late.

Where are you seeing it running late so much? Not counting today, it's made the connection with the Cardinal the last 6 times in a row. According to this site:

https://juckins.net/amtrak_status/archive/html/connections.php?a_train_num=4&c_train_num=50&station=chi&date_start=08%2F01%2F2017&date_end=09%2F07%2F2017&df1=1&df2=1&df3=1&df4=1&df5=1&df6=1&df7=1&sort_dir=DESC&dfon=1

I've been following it closely for about a month because I'm taking the 4 to the 30 next week, and it seems to have been running a lot better lately.

Just watching the real time map. With Cardinal 3 times a week it has been very close or missing the connection more than I am happy about. 9/6 #4 is 2 hours late right now and 9/7 #4 is 30 late at Fullerton it's first stop!!

It may seem silly to many by I am permanently disabled with a number of issues and only travel by train. So I will not be bused around late trains....I can't. Even Amtrak has been sending e-mails about delays on #4 that were planned to be over 9/4/17 but seem to be on going.

BTW #3 is 7 hours late as of now so see my worries???

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak policy considers busing to be a reasonable alternative to travel by train when there is a delay or disruption. There is nothing in the contract of carriage that guarantees you'll ride on a train. Maybe ask them to put you up in a Chicago hotel or book a specialty van due to your disability? If that turns out to be unworkable then it's possible Amtrak may not be manageable for you at this time.

Amtrak policy considers busing to be a reasonable alternative to travel by train when there is a delay or disruption. There is nothing in the contract of carriage that guarantees you'll ride on a train. Maybe ask them to put you up in a Chicago hotel or book a specialty van due to your disability? If that turns out to be unworkable then it's possible Amtrak may not be manageable for you at this time.
Been riding Amtrak since 1972 when I rode LA Union to Davis CA......never have so many trains been so late. A look at the real time map shows more red, yellow and black than green......your right....my next long distance trip may be with my son riving my F-150. Sad our country has a rail system less reliable than India.

#3 is going to be NINE hours late coming into Barstow today. Yesterday it was an hour late which is normal delay of course. #3 has been all over the map since trackage work started some months ago. And now all this bad weather.

Back