Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

using points

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Poindexter118

Poindexter118

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:13 PM

I'm planning a round trip to Seattle from L.A.  I have quite a few points.  I'm confused by the Amtrak website.  When I looked up a  bedroom, the website shows it would take about 49,000 points.   Is that number for one way, or round trip?

I only wonder because that would just about get rid of my points. :huh:

Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,300 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:54 PM

Under AGR2.0 Redemptions are based on the Rail Fare and any Upgrade Charges on the Date selected for travel. All Redemption Awards are ONE WAY/ Amtrak doesn't offer Round Trip Fares.

49,000 Points seems High, but it's possible that the Starlight for that day is at Highest Bucket.
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#3 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:31 PM

Last month on #14(14) we (2 of us) spent 39,537 points for a bedroom LAX > SEA.

1,977 points were rebated as a holder of the BofA AGR credit card.

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#4 Poindexter118

Poindexter118

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:33 PM

Thanks for all the information.

#5 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,280 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:51 PM

Under AGR 1.0, the point redemption was for either 1 or 2 passengers in the room. However, under AGR 2.0, it is based on the "cash fare" for 1 passenger and the 2nd passenger is additional points!
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#6 tonys96

tonys96

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:12 PM

IMHO, AGR is not worth the trouble of trying to collect and/or save up points anymore, especially for those of us in areas with limited Amtrak service. I have several thousand points (over 50k) in the "bank" right now, and am not trying to accumulate any more. I have the no fee BofA AGR card, solely to keep from losing points to expiration. We will burn through our points, someday, with a far shorter trip that we could have had in the old AGR. When those are gone, I will relinquish the AGR card, and continue to use my SWA branded card, which I use now. 

Part of this is also due to the downgrading of amenities on Amtrak. It used to be far more fun to ride. Period. Can't really put my finger on it, but, the elegance is not there, the feeling of being an appreciated customer both on board and by corporate is not there. 

The cost of sleepers is way higher than I recall it being in the past, as is the cost of coach. At least on trips originating where I live. 

We might take the TE to San Antonio, or maybe the HF (if it still exists then) to OKC, for short visits, but both require an extra day due to late night arrivals, and early morning departures. SWA is more convenient........

Such is life, you don't know what you got, till it's gone........

The worst part of censorship is XXXXXXXXXXX.

When you mute or alter a man's voice, you are not proving him wrong or a liar, you are only telling the world that you fear what he has to say.

#7 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:36 PM

Unless you really need the BoA AGR card off your credit report (which it's rare there's a reason to) it doesn't hurt to just put the card in a drawer somewhere and just not use it. Considering it has no fee, it keeps points from expiring, and it gives a 5% rebate, there's no reason not to have it. There's also no reason, when you do travel Amtrak, to put your AGR number in and earn points on the rail fare. You may not get a lot of points, but you would get some, and there's no downfall for earning points from Amtrak travel (you could even put the actual fare on a credit card that has the points you want and still earn the 2 AGR points per dollar on the fare itself.)

#8 tonys96

tonys96

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:29 PM

Unless you really need the BoA AGR card off your credit report (which it's rare there's a reason to) it doesn't hurt to just put the card in a drawer somewhere and just not use it. Considering it has no fee, it keeps points from expiring, and it gives a 5% rebate, there's no reason not to have it. There's also no reason, when you do travel Amtrak, to put your AGR number in and earn points on the rail fare. You may not get a lot of points, but you would get some, and there's no downfall for earning points from Amtrak travel (you could even put the actual fare on a credit card that has the points you want and still earn the 2 AGR points per dollar on the fare itself.)

That is exactly what I am doing. Keep the card for Amtrak expenses,maybe the two short trips indicated above, or a trip out to Longview, but keep it mainly to keep points from expiring. No fee, no hassle.

And assuredly, put in my AGR number for any tickets bought.

But, I am not going to be "working" to collect points anymore. Just not worth much to those of us with limited service, IMHO.

The worst part of censorship is XXXXXXXXXXX.

When you mute or alter a man's voice, you are not proving him wrong or a liar, you are only telling the world that you fear what he has to say.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users