Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Hurricane Harvey Texas Impacts

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#41 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 02:59 AM

Why would they turn the TE at Longview? SAS has seen no effects of Harvey same for AUS.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                 Coast Starlight                          

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 211,000

#42 Rover

Rover

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 03:14 AM

Why would they turn the TE at Longview? SAS has seen no effects of Harvey same for AUS.

The rainfall totals for Austin and SAT are to be heavy with flash flooding possible with road closures.. If the rails can't be safely checked, maybe that's the wisest preemptive option.

I think it is absolute mythology that there's any national system that is profitable. And I think the naysayers just have to get over it. ~ Amtrak President Alex Kummant ~ June 2008

I've ridden Amtrak on:

~ The Empire Builder 1981 ~ The Coast Starlight 1981 ~ The Texas Eagle ~ The Sunset Limited ~

Videos: HD Moods ~ Trains * Scenic National Parks ~ Great Train Rides * All Aboard ~ Great American Railroads 

Books: Time-Life - The Old West ~ The Railroaders * Rail Ventures - 4th Edition 

#43 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,451 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:42 AM

It's raining there (SAS) now, with more than a foot on the way?
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#44 JoeBas

JoeBas

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 08:22 AM

http://abc13.com/tra...n-gulf/2341493/

20,000 cruise pax stranded till Tuesday. Not sure what condition their cars will be when they arrive.

Wet.  Unless they paid for the indoor parking, in which case.... dry.  

#45 JoeBas

JoeBas

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 08:23 AM

No evac train?

They supposedly evac'ed the Galveston Railroad Museum rolling stock, so it didn't get Iked again. 

Not that that would happen, mind. 

#46 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,451 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 08:48 AM

20,000 cruise pax stranded till Tuesday. Not sure what condition their cars will be when they arrive.

Until the garage floods. :(
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#47 Chatter163

Chatter163

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 08:49 AM

Sad

#48 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:49 AM

I would think they would at least run it to FTW, preserving northbound connections from the Heartland Flyer.

#49 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,009 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:19 AM

#1 and #2 are now showing Service Disruptions.

The Austin agents,seem to think that #21/#22 Will turn in FTW with Bustitutions between SAS and FTW IF I-35 is driveable for the next few days???
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#50 JoeBas

JoeBas

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:33 AM

Until the garage floods. :(

Galveston didn't see much in the way of surge, certainly not enough to top the seawall.  

We're gonna see a lot of rain today, and there could be some street type flooding down there, but Galveston is surrounded by water and not on any major rivers, so up in the lots they USUALLY* don't flood from rainfall. 

*I'm just a weather forecaster, who lives halfway between Downtown Houston and Galveston, and has been known to cruise out of Galveston fairly frequently.  YMMV. ;)

Edited by JoeBas, 26 August 2017 - 11:34 AM.

#51 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,451 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:50 AM

The storm surge isn’t the concerning part. The 3 feet of rain is.

3439b24ff7e35fe08427f52080b56e2c.jpg

Glad the garage is in a safe location.
Posted Image

#52 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,009 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 26 August 2017 - 01:04 PM

#21 (25) now in Service Disruption between Mineola and Dallas/ #22 ( 26) running 1+ Hour Late into McGregor on way North from SAS to CHI.
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#53 KnightRail

KnightRail

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 03:25 PM

SERVICE ADJUSTMENTS:
Subject to change without notice, this is a fluid situation.

Sunset Limited:
-2(23) Runs entire route to New Orleans
-2(25) Runs only to El Paso, where the train set will turn and become 1(25)
-1(25) [which is actually Saturday's scheduled origination] Runs only from El Paso to Los Angeles
-Trains beyond these dates, no new tickets are being sold for travel anywhere on the route East of San Antonio.

Texas Eagle:
-No thru cars (421/422) connecting to/from the Sunset Limited
-No further changes...yet

UPDATE:
Sunset Limited:
-2(23) Ran entire route to New Orleans.
-2(25) Ran only to El Paso, where the train set is turning and becoming 1(25)
-1(25) [which was actually Saturday's scheduled NOL origination, though still is dated as if originating in ORL] Runs only from El Paso to Los Angeles
-2(27) Running only to El Paso, where the train set will turn and become 1(27)
-1(27) [which is actually Monday's scheduled NOL origination, though still is dated as if originating in ORL] Runs only from El Paso to Los Angeles

Texas Eagle:
-22(25) Ran normally San Antonio-Chicago
-21(25) Ran Chicago-Fort Worth only, set turning to become 22(27)
-22(26) Running normally San Antonio-Chicago
-21(26) Running Chicago-Fort Worth only
-22(27) Running Fort Worth-Chicago only
-No thru cars (421/422) connecting to/from the Sunset Limited

Edited by KnightRail, 26 August 2017 - 03:28 PM.

#54 Rover

Rover

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:26 PM

You can watch coverage of Corpus Christi by way of KRIS TV streaming online, or on their Roku channel.

http://www.kristv.co...861/live-stream

KRIS has been broadcasting continuously.

Houston's ABC CH. 13 has been streaming online, but not continuously...

http://abc13.com/live/

I think it is absolute mythology that there's any national system that is profitable. And I think the naysayers just have to get over it. ~ Amtrak President Alex Kummant ~ June 2008

I've ridden Amtrak on:

~ The Empire Builder 1981 ~ The Coast Starlight 1981 ~ The Texas Eagle ~ The Sunset Limited ~

Videos: HD Moods ~ Trains * Scenic National Parks ~ Great Train Rides * All Aboard ~ Great American Railroads 

#55 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,092 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:32 PM

Galveston is hopless.  I wonder when it will be abandoned.  Even a little bit of sea level rise means that a city built on a *sandbar* is no good.

I hope the Galveston Railroad Museum is discussing a merger with a railroad museum located inland!

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#56 JoeBas

JoeBas

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:16 AM

FWIW, the Lone Star Flight Museum started a long-term plan to move off the island after Ike, when much of their stuff was devastated. 

They've been working for YEARS to build a new facility at Ellington Airport, in Southeast Houston, and moved their aircraft to the new facility 2 weeks ago, with a grand opening planned for this weekend. 

Their new facility has received 22+" of rain in the last 48 hours, and if what I had at my house last night is any indication, is likely flooded.  Oh well. 

Edited by JoeBas, 27 August 2017 - 07:22 AM.

#57 Rover

Rover

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:33 AM

In the 24 hours through Sunday 6 a.m. CDT, parts of the southeast Houston metro area had received more than 20 inches of rain. One location in far southeast Harris County near Webster logged 24.28 inches of rain in 24 hours and 26.76 inches in 48 hours.

Houston Traffic CCTV - Water on Roadways

https://traffic.hous.../cctv/transtar/

Major flooding from up to 19 inches of rain has also occurred to the east of Austin in Bastrop and Caldwell Counties with water rescues have been reported.

Harvey's Catastrophic Texas Rainfall Flooding Threat to Continue For Days; Storm Totals of 40 Inches Possible; Record Flooding Observed

https://weather.com/...texas-louisiana

Edited by Rover, 27 August 2017 - 08:19 AM.

I've ridden Amtrak on:

#58 JoeBas

JoeBas

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:30 AM

*Waving from Webster, on about 3 minute's sleep*... ;) 

#59 Rover

Rover

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:22 PM

Houston schools and offices will stay closed, and are expected to reopen at their regularly scheduled time on Tuesday, Sept. 5. Which may still be optimistic.

The Houston NFL team couldn't land in Houston, so they are here in Dallas, and may likely stay here, and play their pre-season game with Dallas in Dallas this coming weekend, instead of in Houston, where it was originally scheduled.

KHOU CH 11, the CBS affiliate, is off the air. Their studios have become flooded and are now evacuated.

I've ridden Amtrak on:

#60 Rover

Rover

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:25 PM

Houston Told People to Stay for Harvey, Now They Can't Get Out

When the governor called for evacuation week, the response was: local officials know best. Now 911 is jammed, waters are rising, and it's about to get worse.

08.27.17 1:36 PM ET
AUSTIN, Texas Houston is slowly being submerged by a natural disaster some are saying could now rival Hurricane Katrina. Even after two feet of rain in 24 hours, Tropical Storm Harvey shows no sign of letting up until Wednesday at the earliest.

Edited by pennyk, 27 August 2017 - 04:34 PM.
copyright issues

I've ridden Amtrak on:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users