Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Norristown HSL Accident

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:51 AM

At 12:10 AM this morning, there was a crash between multiple Norristown HSL trains at 69th Street Station. There are currently 42 injuries, with many people in hospitals but no life threatening injuries. The train with the injuries was arriving at the station and hit the back of the train in front of it. Beyond this, the cause is not yet known. Trains are already running again on the line.

http://www.timeshera...arby-with-video

Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app
Trains travelled: Capitol Limited WAS-CHI, Cardinal CHI-WAS, Carolinian CLT-RGH, Coast Starlight SJC-LAX, Crescent BAL-ATL, Empire Builder MSP-CHI, Empire Service NYP-NFL+NYG-YNY, Lake Shore Limited BOS-ALB, Maple Leaf ALB-NYP, Northeast Regional FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, Pacific Surfliner LAX-ANA, Pennsylvanian NYP-PGH, Piedmont RGH-DNC, Silver Meteor ORL-NYP, Silver Star FTL-WAS, 2016 Autumn Express NYP-HAR-NYP

Upcoming New Routes: Lake Shore Limited NYP-CHI (December), California Zephyr CHI-RIC (December), Coast Starlight SJC-SEA (December), Empire Builder SEA-MSP (January).

Non Amtrak: Atlanta Streetcar, Caltrain, CTA, DC Streetcar, Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, LIRR, MARC, MARTA, MBTA Subway, Metra, Metrolink, Metro-North, METRO Transit Light Rail, Miami Metrorail, Muni Metro, NJT Commuter Rail, North Star, NYC Subway, PATH, Pittsburgh Light Rail, River Line (NJT), SEPTA Regional Rail, SEPTA Subway, South Shore Line, Sunrail, Staten Island Railway, TECO Streetcar, Tri-Rail, Washington Metro

#2 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:30 AM

I heard this train blew threw at least two other stations and had to stop and backtrack. Why he wasn't removed from duty after the 2nd overrun is beyond me.

When first reported on the radio, they only said a "High Speed train". I assumed it was Acela. :o

Edited by VentureForth, 23 August 2017 - 11:40 AM.

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#3 fairviewroad

fairviewroad

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:56 AM

I heard this train blew threw at least two other stations and had to stop and backtrack. Why he wasn't removed from duty after the 2nd overrun is beyond me.

When first reported on the radio, they only said a "High Speed train". I assumed it was Acela. :o

"Train" is a bit of a misnomer here. It's a single vehicle that runs on a dedicated track powered by 3rd rail. It's not super unusual to have to back up, since passengers signal stops by pulling a cord (much like on a bus) and passengers on the platform flag the driver by pressing a button that activates a light. If either of those things happen a bit too late, the driver can either skip the stop, or stop late and back up. Given that this would have been late at night, it's possible that the operator wanted to err on the side of making the stops, given the infrequent service at that time of day.

So the "missed" stops might not have been an omen of things to come...or, they might be. But that's what the investigation is for, I presume.

#4 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:03 AM

"Train" is a bit of a misnomer here. It's a single vehicle that runs on a dedicated track powered by 3rd rail. It's not super unusual to have to back up, since passengers signal stops by pulling a cord (much like on a bus) and passengers on the platform flag the driver by pressing a button that activates a light. If either of those things happen a bit too late, the driver can either skip the stop, or stop late and back up. Given that this would have been late at night, it's possible that the operator wanted to err on the side of making the stops, given the infrequent service at that time of day.

So the "missed" stops might not have been an omen of things to come...or, they might be. But that's what the investigation is for, I presume.

Good info. I would love to spend a few days riding around on SEPTA. They have some of the most unique transit in the US.

Like "train" being a misnomer, so is "high speed". lol

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#5 MattW

MattW

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:04 PM

Eh, the cars can run in trains, it just seems to be rarer.

Forum's official broken record about expanded Georgia passenger service!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users