Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Advice Requested: Booking Train #2 from Vancouver to Toronto in Feb

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:03 PM

On this web site, I have learned that booking Sleeper Plus is a more affordable option and just as pleasant and offers most of the same amenities than Prestige Class on The Canadian in the off-season.  Registering for the VIA Guest Rewards Program is a good idea.  Making a phone reservation for the trip and requesting a Roomette in the last Manor Car is a good idea.  Expecting to arrive in Toronto late is almost a given.

The date of departure is still of some concern for me.  But, I am sure that I will see Winter-type weather as The Canadian goes to Toronto.  One of my most memorable Amtrak trips was on the Empire Builder in February from Seattle to Chicago.  The winter scenes are indelible in my memory!  May I expect such on The Canadian at this time of the year?

Opinions, information:  all are welcome before I call VIA Rail.

Many thanks.  

#2 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,028 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:36 PM

If you're riding #2 in Feb. you're guaranteed to see Snow covered Mountains, Snowy Vistas across the Prairies, and have Very Low Temps ( Below Zero though Canada uses the Celsius Scale)when you step off the Warm Train for some Cold,Refreshing Air at the Stops.😍
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#3 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:41 PM

If you're traveling alone and don't mind the bit of reduced privacy (curtain at night, open in daytime) a lower berth is a great value. Comfortable bed, all the Sleeper Plus amenities, still get a window at night and forward facing seat during the day, and cheaper than a sleeper for 1 in my experience makes it a win in my book.

#4 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,028 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:47 PM

If you're traveling alone and don't mind the bit of reduced privacy (curtain at night, open in daytime) a lower berth is a great value. Comfortable bed, all the Sleeper Plus amenities, still get a window at night and forward facing seat during the day, and cheaper than a sleeper for 1 in my experience makes it a win in my book.

Ditto! The most comfortable bed I've ever slept in on a Train in my 70+ years of riding the rails.

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#5 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:20 PM

I appreciate your view.  Thank you.  But, what does one do with carry-on luggage with such an accommodation?  If another traveler is sharing the accommodation and is in the upper berth, how do I know that I will have a forward facing seat during the day?

#6 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,028 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:45 PM

I appreciate your view.  Thank you.  But, what does one do with carry-on luggage with such an accommodation?  If another traveler is sharing the accommodation and is in the upper berth, how do I know that I will have a forward facing seat during the day?
VIAs policy is that the Bottom Bunk passenger has the forward facing seat when the Section is in "day mode", and the Upper has the rear facing seat.

You'll want to spend most of your time, when not in the Diner, in the Park Car and Dome Cars anyway!😉

VIA is very strict with Luggage on the Canadian, all regular bags must be checked into the bag car and small carryons can be carried aboard to the Sections. ( Ichecked my rollerbag/carried on a Day pack and a small awol bag with underwear/Shirts/Socks/Night gear/Shave Kit)and Layered up on Clothing.

Your car attendants ( there are two crews on the Canadian/ one Vancouver to Winnipeg/another Winnipeg to Toronto)will do a good job helping you store your stuff and taking car of your Section.

Edited by Bob Dylan, 24 August 2017 - 07:48 PM.

#7 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:21 PM

Bob Dylan.

Thanks for your reply.  A question:  what is an "awol bag"?  I'm not surprised that VIA is strict about luggage, particularly for the Sections.

#8 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,028 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:02 PM

Bob Dylan.

Thanks for your reply.  A question:  what is an "awol bag"?  I'm not surprised that VIA is strict about luggage, particularly for the Sections.

An "AWOL Bag" is what the Military calls a small, carry-on bag in which you can stash your essentials. ( shave kit, underwear,change of clothes,may be snacks/ Civilians usually use Backpacks which are actually better for this purpose).

#9 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:09 AM

I wound up putting an airline-size carry-on under the bed, and a small hand bag down at my foot of the bed,  in the corner.  I agree with the opinions on the bed's great comfortableness.  I spent most of the time in the Skyline Car [dome and downstairs] as well as the dining car during daytime.  When I returned after dark, the bed was done up.  It's a bit of a contorted routine trying to get pants on and off, though!  There's practically no space between the edge of the bed and the curtain.

#10 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,028 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 01:31 PM

Great place to change clothes is in the Shower which is between the Sections and the Rooms. I took Sweat Pants and a Long Sleeve T-Shirt to wear at night ( all my trips on the Canadian have been in the Winter)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users