Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

August 19, 2017: Currently, The Canadian is expected to arrive in Tor

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:23 PM

This type of schedule keeping surely makes planning a trip "interesting".  

No doubt, I will need to reserve a hotel for the day following the train's expected arrival.  

I also think I will need to reserve another day after that to "recover" after 4 days on The Canadian since I plan to board in Vancouver.

I, not too long ago, had a 4 consecutive day Amtrak trip on the Sunset Limited connecting to the Southwest Chief.  I love train travel.  But, I was ready to get off the train when I got to Chicago!

Reactions?  Opinions?  All are appreciated by me.

#2 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,568 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:33 PM

This would make far more sense if the subject wasn’t cut o
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#3 JRR

JRR

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:36 PM

We did the trip this summer and the Canadian was 41/2 hours late arriving in Toronto. At one point we were 91/2 hours behind Schedule.

The trip was great and very enjoyable but considering everything, I would definitely plan at least overnight in Toronto before doing anything else.

A lot to see and do in Toronto in any event.

#4 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:21 PM

We did the trip this summer and the Canadian was 41/2 hours late arriving in Toronto. At one point we were 91/2 hours behind Schedule.

The trip was great and very enjoyable but considering everything, I would definitely plan at least overnight in Toronto before doing anything else.

A lot to see and do in Toronto in any event.

that's good timekeeping for the Canadian. One train recently arrived almost 24 hours late. CN just doesn't care and Via has no legal recourse to force them to run the train even close to the timetable. 

#5 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,552 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography, reading. And any combination thereof. :)

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:38 PM

This would make far more sense if the subject wasnt cut o

😂😂😂
Amtrak miles traveled: 85410
Pre-Amtrak miles traveled:8478
Bustitution miles traveled:450
States traveled through on Amtrak: 44

#6 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,300 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 20 August 2017 - 01:37 AM

Spending at least one night in Toronto ( Canada's New York)is a good idea.( Although the service,scenery and food and drink is so good you may not care when you get there!😊)

If you haven't been in Toronto before a couple of nights is even better if you can snag a good deal on a place to stay.As was said, theres lots to do there, most of the good stuff is downtown close to Union Station.
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#7 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:38 AM

that's good timekeeping for the Canadian. One train recently arrived almost 24 hours late........

The first 9 hrs might have been CN's fault.....but there were major delays this summer due to wildfires in the west.

#8 JRR

JRR

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 07:44 AM

Spending at least one night in Toronto ( Canada's New York)is a good idea.( Although the service,scenery and food and drink is so good you may not care when you get there!)

If you haven't been in Toronto before a couple of nights is even better if you can snag a good deal on a place to stay.As was said, theres lots to do there, most of the good stuff is downtown close to Union Station.

You hit the nail on the head! The service, scenery and food were so good that we were happy for the extra time on board ( got an extra lunch!), and would gladly have been 24 hrs. late.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users