on board upgrade SWC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedhd

Train Attendant
The cost to go from a roomette to a bedroom is about one thou online.....what could one expect by getting upgraded on board price wise??

Is there a good time to check back online to see if it drops, any experiences?

My understanding is the Conductor is required to charge the highest bucket rate.

Back in the day Conductors were allowed to charge the lowest bucket rate.

The best time to check for rate drops is daily in the hopes that the bucket level has changed due to reservation cancellations.

However, since there are only 5 bedrooms (excluding the H and Family rooms) in a Superliner sleeper there are fewer cancelled reservations compared to Roomettes (14 roomettes).

Almost correct.

The charge is the current bucket fromthat point forward. (This is obtained either by booking online or calling an agent.) There is no longer a discount for an onboard upgrade. That ended a few years ago.

It's best to do it well before your trip. Anything sold is at it's current price. It also doesn't make sense to ask the conductor. They'll just tell you to call USA Rail to upgrade and they'll see it on their device. Every time I've been riding Acela or Regional service. And I'm in FC or BC that's what the conductor tells them to do.

Damn! Will the price be likely to go down? Trip is late December, when is the optimal time to switch? thanks to all for replies!

Back