Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Bar-B-Q Day Trip to Exotic Taylor,TX

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,009 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:45 PM

On Tue 8/15 I caught the Texas Eagle #22/#422 in Austin,TX for a Get-a-Way Trip to Exotic,Exciting Taylor,Tx

The friendly agents,are now giving out Free Parking Passes for the Lighted,Resurfaced Parking Lot ( UP owned)and the Restrooms are only available to Ticketed Amtrak Passengers since the Large Homeless Colony in downtown Austin used to hang out @ the Nicely Remodeled, Air Conditioned old MoPac Station and make a Mess in the Restrooms.

Also the Quik-Trak Machine is gone, all those wanting tickets,have to see the Agents. ( 2 on Duty for #22/1 for #21 in the evening)

The Train #22/#422, with its usual 7 Car Consist, (Sleepers in Front) chugged in 30 minutes Late due to a Late Departing Sunset Ltd. #2 out of San Antonio and UP Freight congestion.

A large crowd of about 50 people, including 10 for the Sleepers,lined up under the Station Canopy in 2 Lines so the Conductor could scan tickets. Sleeper pax,Seniors,tge Handicaped and those with Small Children get boarding priority.

I rode in the Sightseer Lounge for the 35 minute trip up the so called MoPac Expressway, ( packed with Cars in both Directions) through Round Rock and into the Freight Yards @ Taylor where we arrived anout 15 minutes down at the old Mopac Station,now UP District Headquarters.( the,Taylor Amtrak "Station" is a Shed with 2 Picnic Tables)

After a great Brisket and Beef Rib Lunch @ Bobby Mueller's Best in Texas Q Joint,😍I spent the Layover on the 100+ Degree Dog Day @ Taylor's Great Public Library while waiting 4 Hours for #21 to arrive for the Trip back to Austin.😎

#21 ran on time from Ft Worth through Cleburne,McGregor and Temple and rolled around the bend into the Taylor stop right on time @536pm 😎with the usual 7 Car consist,( Sleepers in Front)but only 1 P-42 which is NOT good on this route,especially on 100+ degree Day😥!!)

I boarded after several people detrained,had my sticker scanned, and headed for the Sightseer Lounge. Once the High Ball sounded, we rolled out and had clear sailing all the way to Austin arriving right on time about 630pm!😎

The Diner was serving dinner, but since there isn't time to eat on this short trip, I Visited my OBS friends in the CCC,one of the several Good Crews on this Route!.

The food being served to the almost full Diner by the friendly and efficient crew looked very appealing! I look forward to trying it when I ride the Eagle/Sunset in Sept on the way to the Gathering!

The Female Conductor on #22 told me that several Conductors are transferring in from California to the San Antonio Crew Base for the SAS-FTW Leg of this Route.

Due to it being a High Seniority Route, even though she has 18+ Years of Service, she will have to shift to the San Antonio-Beaumont/San Antonio-Del Rio Route on the Sunset Ltd.and lose about 20 Hours of Pay since the Eagle runs Daily and the Sunset is a tri-weekly Train.😣

The Coach Bathrooms on the Train were Very Clean and the OBS was friendly and professional, but the Eagle seems to once again be getting the Tired,Worn Equipment that it and the CONO used to get when they shared Superliner equipment.

All in all a Nice Day Trip and the Senior Coach Fare was only $14 Round Trip. ( Senior Saver Fare)

Edited by Bob Dylan, 18 August 2017 - 02:03 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#2 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:31 AM

Wow! For $14 you got a seat in the SSL both ways and an on-time train! Plus a free parking pass and a real live agent at the station! :)

You really know how to travel! :)

#3 OBS

OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:08 AM

Great report, thanks!

#4 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,092 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:38 AM

Wow! You really know how to travel! :)

He learned from the best!:)
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#5 v v

v v

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:18 PM

Is this the shortest Long Distance journey ever?

#6 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,009 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:29 PM

During the Bay Area Gathering in 2014 we rode Amtrak from Berkley to Emeryville after the Group Dinner, and while in Portland several of us have ridden across the River from Portland to Vancouver,WA and Back.😁

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#7 v v

v v

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:20 PM

Don't get too daring!

#8 Railroad Bill

Railroad Bill

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Historical and Genealogical research, Travel, Model Railroading. Lions Club & Anything Dealing With Trains

Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:54 PM

Nice report Jim.  Looks like you got a lot of bang for your bucks (and some BB sauce as well)  :P

Amtrak Trains Ridden So Far:
Lake Shore Ltd, Capitol Ltd, Pennsylvanian, NE Corridors, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Hoosier, SW Chief, Surfliners, California Capitol Corridors, Coast Starlight, Cascades. Texas Eagle, San Joaquins, Missouri River Runner,Cardinal, Downeaster, Silver Meteor, Keystones, Auto Train, Adirondack, Lincoln Service, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Texas Eagle Detour Rt, 2013 Autumn Express Tour PHL, Silver Star, Sunset Limited -Acela Express-  2015 Autumn Express ALB  - Empire Service    

81,815 Amtrak miles & counting     
Via Rail Corridor Trains Cobourg-Ottawa-Montreal,(round trip)  The Ocean (round trip)--   2,250 miles

#9 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:31 AM

During the Bay Area Gathering in 2014 we rode Amtrak from Berkley to Emeryville after the Group Dinner, and while in Portland several of us have ridden across the River from Portland to Vancouver,WA and Back.😁

But you cannot ride just Berkeley to Emeryville on a long distance train, can you?

#10 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,009 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:41 AM

But you cannot ride just Berkeley to Emeryville on a long distance train, can you?
You are correct Sir!It was a Cap Corridor Train.

#11 fixj

fixj

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Trains

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:00 PM

Great Report. A number of years ago I lived in Ft Worth and had business in San Marcus just south of Austin. I would take the train about once a month. On most trips the conductors would get off in Taylor and run into a bar-B-Q place just by the "station". It seems they knew back then where the best Bar-B-Q along the Texas Eagle was located.

#12 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:54 PM

Great Report. A number of years ago I lived in Ft Worth and had business in San Marcus just south of Austin. I would take the train about once a month. On most trips the conductors would get off in Taylor and run into a bar-B-Q place just by the "station". It seems they knew back then where the best Bar-B-Q along the Texas Eagle was located.

Several years ago when my southbound Eagle stopped at Taylor, a cat ran with determination from the station to the Diner.  Someone said it was a "station cat" that learned some chefs/cooks will give it scraps while others will shoo it off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users