Traveling cross country next week: Cardinal & SWC-what's new?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Van

Service Attendant
I make this trip each year.....on my 6th year this year. But there is always something new each trip. Leaving next week from WSS to LA Union station. This year I am going to try Business class on the Cardinal over the norm Roomette. Then back to roomette on SWC. What can I expect in Business class on Cardinal?? I know it's not much....but for the time I am on the train thought I'd try it.....plus I had enough points for it but not roomette!

Same on SWC. Any major changes?? I see track work around NM....but the Amtrak location map has been down for a few days so I have not checked. Looking forward to my annual trip and hope to avoid surprises. Thanks

DSCN1343.JPG

I rode the Card back in February. The Business Class is the 2-1 faux leather. The SCA for the sleeper (at that time only one) handled both cars. The unstaffed cafe area is open to BC pax and there was coffee after 6:30 AM and also some snack and full sized soda out for the taking. I did not see ice but the SCA provided it when asked.

The lounge area of the car was not heavily used only 2-3 people. Overnight there were a number of empty seats that filled up after Indy.

I rode the Card back in February. The Business Class is the 2-1 faux leather. The SCA for the sleeper (at that time only one) handled both cars. The unstaffed cafe area is open to BC pax and there was coffee after 6:30 AM and also some snack and full sized soda out for the taking. I did not see ice but the SCA provided it when asked.

The lounge area of the car was not heavily used only 2-3 people. Overnight there were a number of empty seats that filled up after Indy.
Are the seats in Business Class on the Cardinal comfortable? I have big hips, so I'm wondering if they are pretty roomy.

Are the seats in Business Class on the Cardinal comfortable? I have big hips, so I'm wondering if they are pretty roomy.
I was in the sleeper so I did not use the seats but given the 2-1 configuration they should be wider.......but the 2 seat pair in BC has an armrest that would prevent using both seats if one was not occupied.

This past October I took a weekend trip in Business Class on the Card from Charlottesville to Charleston and back. Perfectly comfortable seats even for a larger gent as myself. Coffee and soft drinks free for the taking, but no ice (what's with Amtrak and the ice!). Though when they ran out they kind of ran out.

beverages.jpg

Beverage service in business class on the Cardinal

businessclass.jpg

business class seating

businessclass2.jpg

the other half of the business class car

lunch.jpg

ever wonder how the Amtrak Culinary Team feels about this?

I, too, have large hips, and I find the Business Class seats to be perfectly comfortable. Plus, if you sit in a seat pair instead of the single seats, there's a wide armrest that separates you from the other passenger. It's about the same size as the average car console. So there's no need to worry about "encroaching".

I will PM you my height/weight and hip measurement so you feel more comfortable about it. I totally understand being nervous about seat width. :)

Coffee and soft drinks free for the taking, but no ice (what's with Amtrak and the ice!).
According to Amtrak lore self service ice will kill you. And your family. And anyone you ever loved. Or had a crush on. With a machete.
Because Amtrak can't babysit it, and control who puts their filthy hands (or worse scenarios) in the ice that you are going to digest. Nanny-state or legit? You decide...

Coffee and soft drinks free for the taking, but no ice (what's with Amtrak and the ice!).
According to Amtrak lore self service ice will kill you. And your family. And anyone you ever loved. Or had a crush on. With a machete.
Because Amtrak can't babysit it, and control who puts their filthy hands (or worse scenarios) in the ice that you are going to digest. Nanny-state or legit? You decide...
In the past I was able to decide. Then Amtrak/FDA/whoever chose to take the ice away from everyone. No personal choices, no self selection, no exceptions. That's what makes it a nanny state decision. I'm fine with putting up signs advising people that if they're especially young or old or have compromised immune systems or see something fishy they should stay away from the ice. That would be an entirely sensible and practical warning in my view.

The problem with self service ice is easy to fix, there are plenty of new style ice makers that pass muster. Actually admitting there is an issue, and spending the money is the hard part for them Hotels used to have ice makers with big open bins, now they have almost universally transitioned to dispense on demand.

The problem with self service ice is easy to fix, there are plenty of new style ice makers that pass muster. Actually admitting there is an issue, and spending the money is the hard part for them Hotels used to have ice makers with big open bins, now they have almost universally transitioned to dispense on demand.
Right....every fast food place has 'safe ice'......but without it they loose money.....I am sure Amtrak looks at ice as a 'cost center' only and nothing more. I do hate going days without being able to get ice......at home I have a insul mug with ice water most waking hours. thx

We haven't had many reports on this forum of people not being able to get ice, it seems that they will provide it upon request. The point is about the needless folly of being required to do that when simple solutions exist.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am always amused over this fixation with ice. I just got back from a trip to southern Italy where people stare at you when you ask for ice --- and it was 90 to 100 degrees at the time.

We haven't had many reports on this forum of people not being able to get ice, it seems that they will provide it upon request. The point is about the needless folly of being required to do that when simple solutions exist.
In my experience for the eight hours or so between 10PM and 6AM there is generally no ice service of any kind in the sleepers or dining car. That may seem like a minor detail to some, but it's a pretty big chunk of the day for night owl such as myself. Also, depending on the disposition of the SCA sometimes they'll just up and refuse to provide ice no matter what time it is. If that happens you can make a request in the dining car yourself, but then the LSA might refuse to provide any ice on the grounds that it's the SCA's job. At which point your last chance is to go to the SSL and buy soda or juice in exchange for some extra ice. Which solves the problem I suppose, but it just seems silly to jump through this many hoops over something that was previously provided to everyone all the time.

I am always amused over this fixation with ice. I just got back from a trip to southern Italy where people stare at you when you ask for ice --- and it was 90 to 100 degrees at the time.
The next time I'm riding Amtrak through southern Italy I'll try to keep that in mind. :lol:

Here in the US easy access to nearly unlimited ice has been the status quo for decades. Where I live almost every stationary restaurant, every hotel, every house, and every apartment has automatic ice. Even our offices have self service ice. Maybe a good compromise would be to provide "clean" ice through the SCA during the day and then leave out "dirty" self service ice at 10:00PM for night owls with a death wish?

At some point, the snack stations could be pulled out and replaced in totality. At the location you already have electricity, water supply and drainage. There is no (non financial) reason a unit more suitable for today's desires could not be provided. They can be as simple or advanced as Amtrak desires. I've seen systems with on off keys, I've seen beverage/ice systems with card access, it's all out there. The D-E concentrate coffee machines work well, but only if you buy the better blends. There are of course versions that feature hot water, decaf, and some have additional choices. There are other manufacturers, I just mention D-E because it is common. I have a commercial (hooked up to a water line) Keurig at the training center I teach at (couple of evenings a week to keep my retiree brain from atrophying) it is great, lots of different product available, but subject to disappearing. We have the D-E in the student lounge and it isn't bad. Both do hot water.

BIZ class cafe car was a total wipe out by the time I got on at WSS. I did see a guy loading a backpack with what was there as I got on.....didn't know what that was about but when it was not refilled kinda figured it out......the dregs have discovered the train. BIZ a BUST for me.

On SWC now...much better......ahhhhhh

SIX hours late at Needles......so far!!!!

sitting here in my roomette when I should be on the platform at Fullerton about to get on the Surfliner.

I know they'd like to beat my personal best of 7.5 hours late into Fullerton Jan 2015......but I ain't happy.

Most of this delay I blame on the dead head move of 5 vintage rail cars from KC to ABQ,

After we left KC an hour plus late it was down hill. Someplace after TOP we sat for more than an hour. HEP dropped a number of times.

Once we are 3 hours outside our window.....it always just goes downhill.

Also the ABQ stop became a 1.5 hour stop only because of the vintage rail cars.

Amtrak needs to put us over freight.

Dave, sounds like a rough finish to your journey. I have never been on this route so I don't know much about it, but is there any positive outcome of running so late? Such as viewing scenery during daylight hours that normally is not the case? Just curious.

Dave, sounds like a rough finish to your journey. I have never been on this route so I don't know much about it, but is there any positive outcome of running so late? Such as viewing scenery during daylight hours that normally is not the case? Just curious.
Cajon Pass in daylight.....other than that...not much.We get later and later every minute.....The TUE SWC should pass us soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back