11-2 LAX Connection Cut?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am looking at booking a trip in the spring, and Amtrak.com is no longer coming up with the guaranteed connection between the southbound Coast Starlight and the eastbound Sunset.

It will give a connection via the San Joaquin at Martinez and the Thruway bus to LA.

This was always a fairly tight guaranteed connection, and caused things like occasional Oxnard-Palm Springs bustition to make it. Did Amtrak get tired of dealing with this one.

As late as a couple of weeks ago, the 11-2 connection was still showing, so this is pretty new. Anyone know the actual reason?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe because it is only one hour apart? I am booked for the 11-2 connection later this year, since last week (paid for on Sunday).

As for whether Amtrak got tired of Oxnard-Palm Springs bus runs, I think they might have gotten tired of that.

For the last month, the 11-2 connection was made 85 percent of the time, missing 2 out of 13 connections. Source: https://juckins.net/amtrak_status/archive/html/connections.php?a_train_num=11&c_train_num=2&station=lax&date_start=07%2F16%2F2017&date_end=08%2F15%2F2017&df1=1&df2=1&df3=1&df4=1&df5=1&df6=1&df7=1&sort_dir=DESC&dfon=1

I was not contacted by Amtrak about the broken guaranteed connection, though.

In the event that the CS is running more than one hour late, how will Amtrak attempt to get me to catch Train 2/422?

Seconding what the traveler said, Random dates in Sept and Oct all show ONLY the 11-San Joaquin-Thruway Bus-#2 Connections.

Glad I'm Flying home from PDX since the #11-#6-Thruway Van-#21 Connection on Amtrak ( available 7 days a week)is so Expensive in Roomettes!

One hour is the minimum allowable guaranteed connection, and there has been a guaranteed connection between 11 and 2 essentially forever, at least whenever the Sunset left at 10 pm.

There was a period a few years ago when UP was melting down, the Starlight was routinely 6-12 hours or more late and they moved the Sunset to a mid-afternoon departure so there was no connection. But once that changed, they went back to the guarantee. So this is somewhat weird, because nothing has otherwise changed.

When are you traveling? My guess is that Amtrak has just not gotten around to rebooking your itinerary and contacting you yet. If I were you I would expect that they are going to rebook you via MTZ and BFD (love Bakersfield's station code).

One hour is the minimum allowable guaranteed connection, and there has been a guaranteed connection between 11 and 2 essentially forever, at least whenever the Sunset left at 10 pm.

There was a period a few years ago when UP was melting down, the Starlight was routinely 6-12 hours or more late and they moved the Sunset to a mid-afternoon departure so there was no connection. But once that changed, they went back to the guarantee. So this is somewhat weird, because nothing has otherwise changed.

When are you traveling? My guess is that Amtrak has just not gotten around to rebooking your itinerary and contacting you yet. If I were you I would expect that they are going to rebook you via MTZ and BFD (love Bakersfield's station code).
I am leaving KFS December 7th on the 11 and getting on the 2/422 on the 8th at LAX.

I am leaving KFS December 7th on the 11 and getting on the 2/422 on the 8th at LAX.
That is fairly far out. Since this change obviously happened recently, they are probably rebooking and just haven't gotten to you yet. Consider what you want to do when they do get around to it. Take a refund? Move KFS-LAX back one day and layover in LA (that is what I am probably going to do)? Just take the rebooking via the San Joaquin and the Thruway bus?

That is fairly far out. Since this change obviously happened recently, they are probably rebooking and just haven't gotten to you yet. Consider what you want to do when they do get around to it. Take a refund? Move KFS-LAX back one day and layover in LA (that is what I am probably going to do)? Just take the rebooking via the San Joaquin and the Thruway bus?
I will probably accept the San Joaquin/Thruway change.

Maybe there is (again) track work coming up and the SL is departing LA earlier. Just a thought.

Last month on #11, the bustitution was Santa Barbara to Palm Springs. We were 2 hours late.

Maybe there is (again) track work coming up and the SL is departing LA earlier. Just a thought.

Last month on #11, the bustitution was Santa Barbara to Palm Springs. We were 2 hours late.
If I was told that I was to be on a bus somewhere down the line, would I be able to step off at Sac or MTZ, and have it changed to a Thruway/San Joaquin routing?

If I was told that I was to be on a bus somewhere down the line, would I be able to step off at Sac or MTZ, and have it changed to a Thruway/San Joaquin routing?
That is nothing I have experienced and can't comment. I'm sure someone here will chime in.

They may or may not allow that. If they do, you would likely have to be notified prior to the trip as a temporary bustitution due to lateness would likely not be decided until you are already in or past Sacramento and Martinez.
Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app

2/422 left LAX a few hours early all the way to SAS, they went back on the printed schedule to NOL. With the UP doing track work, this becomes necessary for several weeks. IIRC 2/422 left at 6;00PM instead of 10PM.

2/422 left LAX a few hours early all the way to SAS, they went back on the printed schedule to NOL. With the UP doing track work, this becomes necessary for several weeks. IIRC 2/422 left at 6;00PM instead of 10PM.
Where are you getting that from? Every source I can find including the Amtrak website and tracking websites lists the departure time as still being at 10:00.

As late as a couple of weeks ago, the 11-2 connection was still showing, so this is pretty new. Anyone know the actual reason?
This is brand new. There is track work on the horizon and delays are anticipated, so they are starting to make adjustments. Notifications will likely occur when everything is completed.

Where are you getting that from? Every source I can find including the Amtrak website and tracking websites lists the departure time as still being at 10:00.
The Sunset left LAX on an early schedule for most of January, all of March and the beginning of April.

I tried to reserve 11 then 2, but the computer will not allow it.

Could the CS route be getting some track work that could delay the train's arrival. Guess it could be either. I tried a reservation in July, June, etc. no luck.

When I was on a late Coast Starlight, Amtrak rerouted me at Sacramento (bus to Stockton, San Joaquin to Bakersfield, but to Los Angeles). Of course, the train had to be late already by Sacramento for that to happen, but it is similar to the scenario in your question.

(rant start)

Then Amtrak told me that I should not be requesting a refund of my sleeping car charge because Amtrak went above and beyond to get me to Los Angeles in time to make the connection. Actually, it's much worse. It was a royal foul-up.

(rant stop)

This is brand new. There is track work on the horizon and delays are anticipated, so they are starting to make adjustments. Notifications will likely occur when everything is completed.
I haven't checked the connection for any day; I understand from earlier posts that the connection is not allowed any time in the future.

If my understanding that the 11 to 2 connection is never allowed in the 11 months available for reservations is correct, then why is that? Is the track work expected to continue for at least 11 months? Is the computer unable to handle, say, four months of a changed schedule (or whatever is appropriate) and the a reversion to the old schedule? Are the managers unwilling to set an end date to the track work? Is there something I haven't thought of?

I'm not trying to be combative, but it seems to me that 11 months of track work is unlikely and refusing to have an end date is a disservice to the customers.

I tried to reserve 11 then 2, but the computer will not allow it.

Could the CS route be getting some track work that could delay the train's arrival. Guess it could be either. I tried a reservation in July, June, etc. no luck.
I wasn't clear. It is 11's route that will have track projects.

I haven't checked the connection for any day; I understand from earlier posts that the connection is not allowed any time in the future.

If my understanding that the 11 to 2 connection is never allowed in the 11 months available for reservations is correct, then why is that? Is the track work expected to continue for at least 11 months? Is the computer unable to handle, say, four months of a changed schedule (or whatever is appropriate) and the a reversion to the old schedule? Are the managers unwilling to set an end date to the track work? Is there something I haven't thought of?

I'm not trying to be combative, but it seems to me that 11 months of track work is unlikely and refusing to have an end date is a disservice to the customers.
As I stated above, this is brand new. The complete details (including all locations and the duration) of the project haven't been finalized which is why I said they are "starting" to make adjustments. As such, they have blocked up for the foreseeable future. This has been done many times in the past. Additionally, one only needs to look at the Lake Shore Limited to know that 11 months is possible. :)

Appreciate the heads up! I'm ticketed on the 11-2 connection for Aug. 30. No word yet from Amtrak. Looks like getting off in SAC is my best bet. Is there somewhere to get breakfast near the station? Then to Stockton via bus, the San Joaquin, and the thruway bus to LA. Seems I'm due a refund for losing my roomette SAC/LAX and 3 meals. We'll see.

When I was on a late Coast Starlight, Amtrak rerouted me at Sacramento (bus to Stockton, San Joaquin to Bakersfield, but to Los Angeles). Of course, the train had to be late already by Sacramento for that to happen, but it is similar to the scenario in your question.

(rant start)

Then Amtrak told me that I should not be requesting a refund of my sleeping car charge because Amtrak went above and beyond to get me to Los Angeles in time to make the connection. Actually, it's much worse. It was a royal foul-up.

(rant stop)
Was that Customer Relations or someone else? Putting you on the regular bus/train/bus connection Sacramento-LA is not going "above and beyond." It is utilizing existing Amtrak services and is routine. I'd be kind of surprised if that was the response from Customer Relations.

Appreciate the heads up! I'm ticketed on the 11-2 connection for Aug. 30. No word yet from Amtrak. Looks like getting off in SAC is my best bet. Is there somewhere to get breakfast near the station? Then to Stockton via bus, the San Joaquin, and the thruway bus to LA. Seems I'm due a refund for losing my roomette SAC/LAX and 3 meals. We'll see.
It is probably best to let Amtrak handle the initial rerouting, rebooking, then work with them if you don't like it. Who knows? If this is preemptive for track work they don't know the schedule for, they might let the existing reservations stand as is until they know more. They might just not want to accept any new bookings for it. Completely freelancing it is not a good idea.

Was that Customer Relations or someone else? Putting you on the regular bus/train/bus connection Sacramento-LA is not going "above and beyond." It is utilizing existing Amtrak services and is routine. I'd be kind of surprised if that was the response from Customer Relations.
It was Customer Relations, but it was on my first phone call. A subsequent call went better, but it had a pretty low bar to clear.

I have made this connection about 15 times over the years, never coming into LAX too late on the Coast Starlight to make a connection with the Sunset. There is a great deal of padding built into the end of the Starlight schedule. Amtrak has even held the Sunset a time or two for a short period. It's a true bummer if this connection is broken, as it is quite handy. If Amtrak has broken the connection between these two trains for good, then the departure of the Sunset ought to be moved up to a more convenient time. Departure at 10 p.m. is too late. But then its arrival at 5:30 in the morning is too early, too. Now that I am on the topic of improving the Sunset's schedule, it should become a daily run. Tri-weekly operation is inconvenient for passengers and costly for Amtrak.

Back