Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Boarding in Chicago Union Station

22 replies to this topic

#21 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:37 AM

Oh, I see. Thanks, Dave! :)

#22 RSG

RSG

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Travel, rail travel, libraries, current events

Posted 28 August 2017 - 05:41 PM

When you ask for a redcap, do they set you up with one in particular, or do you wait for a redcap to come into the lounge and say, "Anyone for the Empire Builder, come with me"? And it's the lounge agent you ask for a redcap, not the redcaps themselves? 

I have finally figured out that we have been mistaken about the Chicago dragons--they are actually doing an excellent job, because their whole purpose is to keep you in Chicago so you will spend travel money there instead of elsewhere! :giggle:

A note about Chicago...while there are a fair number of Red Caps who enjoy their job and provide excellent service, there are a few (and one in particular) who should be doing something else. So, if the Red Cap who first arrives doesn't look particularly thrilled with assisting you, or looks at your luggage before looking at you, or starts bossing other passengers around, feel free to hang back and wait for the next Red Cap to arrive (though this only works if you don't miss the first call for assistance in boarding). The one RC who should be doing something else I will absolutely refuse to use when I observe her on duty. Fortunately, with the current layout of the new Metropolitan Lounge in relation to the platform access (along with careful planning), I've avoided using Red Cap assistance altogether my past few trips into CHI.

On a more positive note, I've noticed that the younger Red Caps are often the most attentive and have better customer service skills than some of the fossils who tend to act like they are doing personal favors for passengers. Who says the Millennial generation is a bunch of slackers?

#23 NorthShore

NorthShore

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:31 AM

[quote]I have finally figured out that we have been mistaken about the Chicago dragons--they are actually doing an excellent job, because their whole purpose is to keep you in Chicago so you will spend travel money there instead of elsewhere! :giggle:[/quote]

God bless 'em!

Edited by NorthShore, 11 September 2017 - 02:33 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users