Train HVAC System

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bobby

I have looked extensively online to no avail. Does Amtrak (or anyone reading this) have any schematics or just plain info on the heating and A/C systems on their trains? Like cubic feet per minute (CFM) of output at a single vent? What the supplies and returns look like? Where they are located? ie, Are they long and thin? Or are they like an airplane with a small circular vent above your head? Thank you very much!

The small circular vent above your head is not the only HVAC inbound vent on planes. Indeed many planes don't have any such overhead vents for individual seats at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
The different types of cars are somewhat unique. Providing comfort into little cubicles like a sleeper is very different than an open area like a coach. And single level is different than a superliner where air can rise or fall through the stairs.

I have looked extensively online to no avail. Does Amtrak (or anyone reading this) have any schematics or just plain info on the heating and A/C systems on their trains? Like cubic feet per minute (CFM) of output at a single vent? What the supplies and returns look like? Where they are located? ie, Are they long and thin? Or are they like an airplane with a small circular vent above your head? Thank you very much!
Yes, Amtrak has schematics of the HVAC system of each car. What sort of as yet unexplained problem are you trying to solve with this bizarrely worded question?

The small circular vent above your head is not the only HVAC inbound vent on planes. Indeed many planes don't have any such overhead vents for individual seats at all.
In my experience relatively few airlines feature individual nozzles. Mostly US airlines and aircraft purchased from US airlines on the secondhand market.

haha. Yes, bizarre I guess. I am trying to model airflow in enclosed spaces; one of which is an average American railcar. Thanks.

thank you VERY much! Its for computational fluid dynamics modeling ...

thank you VERY much! Its for computational fluid dynamics modeling ...
You're welcome. I used to play around with such random things when I was doing Physics back in my early grad school days. Haven't touched the stuff in over thirty years though. Anyway, for digging these up I just did some judicious Googling. Give it a try, you might find more relevant stuff.

In my experience on Superliners, the vent controls only work about half the time. This why I carry gaffer tape in the event I need to block the flow.

FWIW - the individual air nozzles on airplanes are called a 'gasper'.
That is quite the rabbit hole topic. I wonder why non-US carriers rarely order them or why newer US aircraft replaced the high flow highly directional models with those low flow, barely directional plug port designs.

Anyway, here is my personal opinion of the various designs in use today...

Poor Gasper Design (common on newer Boeing aircraft)...

GoodAirVent.PNG

Better Gasper Design (common on newer Airbus aircraft)...

BetterAirVent.jpg

Best Gasper Design (common on older aircraft of all types)...

BestAirVent.PNG

Thank you very much everyone! This was all very helpful, especially the AMTK manual

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back