Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Three day visit to Alpine, TX

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SanAntonioClyde

SanAntonioClyde

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:NARP MEMBER, Getting daily Sunset Limited service and better San Antonio Amtrak station.

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:25 PM

Spent three days in Alpine visiting both elected and business leaders talkin about their three day a week Amtrak service. Community has been very active in letting Washington know not only do they need Amtrak but they also want daily service.

We stayed at Holland Hotel just across the street. Tell them you arrived by Amtrak and you will get a warm reception. Town is very walkable and has several unique shops (sorry no Walmart). While there is no nation car rental chain there, they do have independent car rental service. County courthouse is original and worth a quicksee. You are in the heart of wide open Texas, but within reasonable driving distances are Big Bend National park, Marfa TX with its misterious lights and Guadalupe Mtns.

For train watchers. This is UPS main line Los Angeles to Houston and is crew chain town so there is considerable freight traffic.

#2 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,026 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:03 PM

Great that you liked the place of my birth and where I had my first Train ride on the old ESPEE!!😎( my Grandfather was an ESPEE hand for 40 years in West Texas on this Line)

Edited by Bob Dylan, 15 August 2017 - 01:17 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users