Heartland Flyer: Trains 821 and 822--Some Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakota 400

Engineer
The most recent national timetable that I have shows that this train does have a baggage car with onboard bicycle racks for passengers to use. Why is checked baggage not then permitted, particularly between Fort Worth and Oklahoma City?

If I attempted to have a small piece of luggage put in the baggage car, would that be possible/allowed?

In the Coaches, what kind of storage for baggage is available? And, how much is available other than over the seat rack type?

Would Texas Eagle (#21) be considered by Amtrak as a guaranteed connection with #822 at Fort Worth?

Would #821 be considered by Amtrak as a guaranteed connecting with Texas Eagle #22 at Fort Worth?

If a guaranteed connection is not possible, would it be wise to plan for an overnight in Fort Worth going in either direction from/to Chicago and Oklahoma City?

I'm considering a rail trip to an area of the country that I have not visited and on trains that I have not traveled. Information for all is appreciated. Many thanks!

I don't think this train has a baggage car; it does have a F40 cab car (converted locomotive with roller door) which is where I suspect the bikes are being stored. But I don't believe many (or any?) of the stations are manned, so that complicates luggage checking service.

That said, I don't think you'd have much problem with luggage, for several reasons -

1. The cars used are the standard Superliner coaches; one of which has a snack bar in the lower level. The coaches have a decent amount of luggage storage onthe lower level by the door that should work.

2. There's also the rack above the seats, which will accomodate decent sized bags, no issues.

3. The loads on this train are less than spectacular. The two times I've ridden it, it was maybe 30% filled. No shortage of seats, space, etc.

I'm not sure about the guaranteed connection, but think calling Amtrak reservations could nail that. I recall connecting to #22 to Saint Louis gave me plenty of time to eat a leisurely lunch at Subway and explore the station area. Time keeping on 821 - 822 typically isn't bad from what I've seen.

Hope you have a good trip, I'm sure others will pitch in on anything I've missed here - Mike

The reason for no checked baggage is that with the exception of Ft Worth, all stations are unstaffed. That means there are no employees to remove your luggage from the baggage car. Bikes have to be brought to, and claimed from,the baggage car by their owners.

Both northbound and southbound TE are considered a guaranteed connection.

I believe they use standard Superliner coaches.

I have seen the conductors go out of their way to make sure large or odd shaped baggage is stored safely, even in the outside compartment on the Superliner Coach. And I've seen folks haul some amazingly oversized things up the stairs and into the overhead. There is plenty of room and then some.

I did not know that the Heartland Flyer had Superliner Coaches. That information helps a great deal. I need a new National Timetable. Mine is from Winter/Spring 2016 and just lists "Coaches" for the Heartland Flyer.

National times are no longer printed by Amtrak. You can download an updated PDF version of the national timetable from amtrak.com, however, and print yourself.

National times are no longer printed by Amtrak. You can download an updated PDF version of the national timetable from amtrak.com, however, and print yourself.

Well, that's not customer friendly, but understandable in this age of "being green-oriented" as well as in economic requirements.

I don't think this train has a baggage car; it does have a F40 cab car (converted locomotive with roller door) which is where I suspect the bikes are being stored.
Correct. They operate with Cabbage Cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back