Sounding the horn.....foot pedal or console button?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was watching a video on YouTube which described in detail how an engineer would operate an Amtrak P42 locomotive. One of the things that was mentioned is that there is a horn button and a bell button on the console, and there is also a horn foot pedal.

I assume this would also apply to freight trains, so my question is: When is it appropriate to use the foot pedal vs. the console button? Are there specific rules that Amtrak has regarding this, or is it left up to the individual engineer? Are the protocols different for the freight railroad companies?

Thanks!

Foot petal? The only one of those I can think of is for the so called dead mans petal, which stops the train in the event of an incapacitated engineer, though this has mostly been replaced by the alerter system which has a button that resets a counter, where after 30 seconds or so the counter triggers an alarm that sounds until the button is pressed, or 30 seconds, which ever comes first, and if the engineer does not respond in that time then the locomotive initiates an emergency stop of the train assuming that the engineer has been incapacitated and that the train may no longer be operating in a safe manner.

The foot pedal/auto sequencer still exists on some units although they have been modified. They also exist on other engines (ACS-64 as an example) and I **think** the SC-44s have them.

To answer the original question, it is only appropriate to use the foot pedal when the automatic timing of the two longs, a short and a long horn sequence is needed or required. Since that is the only sequence the foot pedal is capable of blowing, the use is limited. You would use the manual horn for all other indications or if the timing needs adjustments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back