#FakeNews

#22 Hal

Hal

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:08 AM

It's not the speed per se, it's the condition of the track in conjunction with the speed.  I've gone through some interlockings on the NEC where I've been amazed at how rough it was (several years ago)

Also, last year, we hit some track going from NYP to the south where we seemed to hit a harmonic frequency where the trucks would hunt one way and then the other.  It was very rough.  Then a little farther down the line we hit track that was as smooth as glass.

jb

Another possibility is that the coach had excess motion causing the coach to shake. On the Amfleets the bellows might not be inflated properly. On an Acela the dampers could be maladjusted. It happens. We know the train was not speeding but I wouldn't discount that there was some kind of issue. What if there are flat spots? The OP while on the train should have contacted a crew member rather then post here. The problem causing a rough ride can often be corrected en route or possibly the speed should be reduced from track speed if a coach has too much lateral motion or such.

Edited by Hal, 12 August 2017 - 09:19 AM.

#23 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,257 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:32 AM

BTW, the OP is a male per his profile

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#24 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,614 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:55 AM

I think Hal has hit the nail on the head. I have experienced some spectacularly horrible ride quality both on Amfleet and Acela where the ride on an adjacent car was fine. This is likely the case here.

#25 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,845 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:06 AM

I think Hal has hit the nail on the head. I have experienced some spectacularly horrible ride quality both on Amfleet and Acela where the ride on an adjacent car was fine. This is likely the case here.

Ditto!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#26 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:33 AM

BTW, the OP is a male per his profile

She is definitely a woman. She was exactly what I was referring to when I made this post in the Aggressive Amtrak Conductor at Penn Station

I could not find any actual video. All I see are third hand reports. Where is the video? The link only showed a subway platform.

There isn't a video. The entire report was based upon a tweet and a complaint. It was not unlike the tweet about a regional train traveling at...what was it again? Oh yes....breakneck speed.

I'm not sure how she found this board, but the last time she harassed the train crew, wanted to pull the emergency brake and sent tweets to Wick Moorman (even though he hadn't officially taken over yet), Amtrak NEC, Amtrak and for some reason, Operation Lifesaver.. She demanded the conductor (who was actually the flag) slow the train down and tweeted that she wants to get there in one piece. Most people tweeted that an early Amtrak would be a good thing in their book. She then tweeted that the conductor wouldn't slow the train down and wanted her ticket.   The interview with the crew was one of the funniest I can ever recall (particularly the engineer crew, since they had no idea that this saga was occurring.)  The engineer was not amused though and took to twitter. Eventually, she removed all of those tweets but I believe he retained screen shots since he was contemplating some sort of legal action before she removed them. I don't know if that is feasible but it is nice to know she's still out there...armed with twitter and knowledge of track speeds...because she rides all of the time. :wacko:

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#27 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,961 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:16 PM

Oh my god. It got better. :D

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#28 LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:49 PM

It's amazing what the Internet can do for obtaining background info......

At any rate, I took a trip to Baltimore recently and I had forgotten that the Regionals switch from the diesel-electric locomotives to the all-electric ones (I think) during their stops at WAS.   It was nice to have the train SPEED along between there and BAL.     :)

"And you know that notion just crossed my mind............"

#29 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,939 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:00 PM

Please let's all try to remain civil here. Thank you.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users