#1 buck1108

buck1108

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:09 PM

Hi,

I am planning a trip on the Southwest Chief in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone knows what kind of delays to expect (how long)? 

The Amtrak website talks of construction delays through Sept 4, and I was wondering if that may mean hours or bussing situations, etc?

Thanks!

#2 greatcats

greatcats

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:14 PM

There has been a track work project going on all summer east of Albuquerque. Delays of three or four hours have been common, although a minority of trains have been close to schedule. Keep in mind that there is about an hour of padding arriving LA. The last I read the track work project was going to continue until Sept. 4.
I was a commuter railroad employee in NJ for many years until 2002, and have since been a tour guide at Grand Canyon National Park and Ketchikan, Alaska. Also, have been a National Park Volunteer at Hawaii Volcanoes and now Sunset Crater Volcano near my home. If not on Amtrak, also like long road trips, camping some of the time.

#3 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:37 PM

Hopefully they will finish on the 4th, but other projects have taken longer due to weather or unforeseen delays. It was only a few days warning that the TE detour was extended a week this summer.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                 Coast Starlight                          

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 211,000

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users