Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Positive article on AGR Credit Cards

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:04 PM

"So are the Amtrak credit cards worth applying for? They can offer incredible value, especially to folks who regularly use Amtrak to commute, those who want to go on a cross-country adventure, and everyone in between. The sign-up bonuses may not seem like much, but they will provide decent value for those who want to save money on Amtrak fares."

Edited by PRR 60, 10 August 2017 - 08:48 PM.
Removed duplicate content

#2 Aegis

Aegis

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Photo,shooting,fishing,retired LEO

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:38 PM

I am going to get an Amtrak card before my next trip. Seems like a great deal to me..

#3 sechs

sechs

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:04 PM

It's great if you travel Amtrak a lot.  Not so much if you also do a lot of flying and staying in hotels.

#4 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:15 PM

It's great if you travel Amtrak a lot.  Not so much if you also do a lot of flying and staying in hotels.

The pay card is:

2X POINTS

Earn 2 points for every $1 spent
on other qualifying travel

#5 sechs

sechs

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:17 AM

That's great if I travel Amtrak a lot.  Not if I also, for example, fly American Airlines or stay at Starwood hotels a lot and want to be able to redeem there.

Even before I had the Chase Sapphire Reserve (which gives 3x points on travel, but also has a hefty annual fee), I pretty much only used my AGR card for Amtrak purchases.  With the program changes, it makes sense for me to purchase trips rather than redeem points more often.  So, I'm earning more and burning less.  I don't need more points.

And, if you don't spend a lot of money on non-Amtrak travel, it's not a very useful feature.

The AGR card has always been a poor value proposition.  Even the link in the OP says that it's great for regular Amtrak travelers and that's about it.  It's always made a bit more sense for folks who travel more widely to use another program and its card.  SPG has always been a good choice, as was Chase's UR, when they had the AGR card.

To be honest, the blog post linked in the OP is just a fluff piece.  It's not so much positive as it is factual.  They don't even have links to the cards' applications -- but they do send you over to pages with referral links on the SPG cards.

#6 diesteldorf

diesteldorf

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:25 AM

It's also extremely hard to transfer points out of AGR.  I've also been fortunate to get a lot of low bucket fares, so I'll also earn more and burn less.  Lately, I've appreciated the flexibility of Chase points more than AGR.

However,  I'll probably keep the card, since it still offers value for me.

#7 sechs

sechs

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:49 PM

However,  I'll probably keep the card, since it still offers value for me.

The no-fee card is a no-brainer if you're going to be traveling Amtrak on a semi-regular basis.

I just wouldn't consider it a core or, even, important card in my wallet.

#8 uppereastsider

uppereastsider

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Amtrak Select+

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:08 PM

I love the paid card. I consider the upgrade coupon each year worth the fee alone. But considering I book my own Acela tickets and get reimbursed by my company (unlike the rest of my travel which is paid on a corporate card), I can rack up a ton of points, which primarily go to upgrade coupons (lots of NYP to DC and NYP to BOS travel for me). It's a great card next to my Chase Sapphire Reserve (for all non Amtrak travel and dining) and my AMEX SPG (which I use for non bonus spend, which can also accumulate Amtrak points)

#9 Poindexter118

Poindexter118

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:26 PM

I've had the Amtrak card for quite a while now.  I'm planning a 2-3 day trip with a sleeper car.  According to the Amtrak website, the points I have accrued would just about pay for the train and the sleeper car.  But, I have a question:  I have 2 points.  What are they good for?

Thanks in advance.

#10 Poindexter118

Poindexter118

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:40 PM

I posted earlier, and realized I made a mistake.  I have quite a few points, but I also have 2 coupons.  What are they for?

I hope no one was confused by my previous post.

#11 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,742 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:37 PM

Lets not  overlook the full value of the BOA World Master Card  for the points for shopping benefit. If you are purchasing furniture, renovation supplies, clothing, health/beauty stuff, books, home goods, magazines etc, the shopping mall offers in many cases offers multiple points per dollar plus some good values. I've used it for Walmart, Overstock.com, Home Depot, Magazineline,Vitacost, Macy's, Shoebuy and other places. If you do a lot of shopping the points can add up quickly. 

#12 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:51 PM

The pay card is:

2X POINTS

Earn 2 points for every $1 spent
on other qualifying travel

And I have stacked in a TONPOT of those 2x Points on airline tickets, hotels and especially rent cars.

#13 daybeers

daybeers

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Music, Singing, Computers, Stained Glass, Photography, Traveling, Running

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:35 AM

Lets not  overlook the full value of the BOA World Master Card  for the points for shopping benefit. If you are purchasing furniture, renovation supplies, clothing, health/beauty stuff, books, home goods, magazines etc, the shopping mall offers in many cases offers multiple points per dollar plus some good values. I've used it for Walmart, Overstock.com, Home Depot, Magazineline,Vitacost, Macy's, Shoebuy and other places. If you do a lot of shopping the points can add up quickly. 

Where is this info? I just got that card, and I only see 2x points on airlines, hotels and other travel.

Amtrak travel so far: only 8,967 miles: Springfield Shuttle (10), Lake Shore Limited (2), Northeast Regional (20), Acela (1), Pennsylvanian (2), Capitol Limited (1)

Ambus mileage: 72

#14 sechs

sechs

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:28 AM

This isn't really a benefit.

Most card issuers have their own portals of this sort, and there are third-party sites that offer cash back, or airline or hotel points -- sometimes of greater value.

Look at a site like Cashback Monitor to see how to best leverage your purchases.

#15 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,160 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:12 AM

Thread title should state "Positive Article about AGR Card by Site that Makes Money from Positive Articles about Credit Cards."  The technical details are generally correct but the conclusions are often flaky and nonsensical.  Every time I see an article about average people living under crushing debt I'm reminded of the frivolously destructive nature of these types of sites.

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users