Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

CZ Eastbound out of GRAND Junction

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 tricia

tricia

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:42 PM

I've never seen either when I've gone through there and starting to wonder - is this fake news?   :unsure:

I haven't seen it either, but then I've only gone through twice and both times were in the Fall, so maybe too cold for the moon.  I did see a full moon while riding the first Autumn Express.

Definitely not fake news. I've seen many moons, on several CZ trips.

#22 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,111 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:53 PM

I've never seen either when I've gone through there and starting to wonder - is this fake news?   :unsure:

I haven't seen it either, but then I've only gone through twice and both times were in the Fall, so maybe too cold for the moon.  I did see a full moon while riding the first Autumn Express.

Definitely not fake news. I've seen many moons, on several CZ trips.

I have traveled the route many times and have seen moons on each trip, including the trip in December one year (although the moon was not on the river, it was in the parking lot just after Moffat Tunnel).

Amtrak miles: 227,873; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#23 chakk

chakk

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:11 PM

I've seen the moon many times when riding the CZ along the Colorado River in summertime.

Especially nice also is when there are trout fishermen along the banks on the railroad side. The engineer will toot the horn to get the fisherman to raise up and show off their catch.

The dinner car chef reaches out with a long, hooked pole .....

Voila! Fresh fish for dinner in the diner!

#24 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:24 PM

I've seen the moon many times when riding the CZ along the Colorado River in summertime.

Especially nice also is when there are trout fishermen along the banks on the railroad side. The engineer will toot the horn to get the fisherman to raise up and show off their catch.

There's an idea!  Give the chef a kitty of money and stop where there is a gathering of fisherman and do a little supper-buying on the spot :)

#25 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,552 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography, reading. And any combination thereof. :)

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:00 PM

There's an idea!  Give the chef a kitty of money and stop where there is a gathering of fisherman and do a little supper-buying on the spot :)
The Great Northern version of the Empire Builder actually used to do this. A man owned a lake somewhere in Montana had a standing order with the EB to catch trout. He'd catch about 10-15 pounds of trout a day during the summer season and he'd go to the station and give the trout to the telegraph operator. When the EB would get there it would slow down and the telegraph operator would throw the trout up to personnel in the dining car. That way the dining car could truthfully advertise fresh trout for dinner.

Edited by JayPea, 12 August 2017 - 04:00 PM.

Amtrak miles traveled: 85410
Pre-Amtrak miles traveled:8478
Bustitution miles traveled:450
States traveled through on Amtrak: 44

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users