Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Auto Train Sale

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:10 AM

https://www.amtrak.c...-three-day-sale

Tons of conditions and limitations but interesting. I wonder if it might be a sign that the AT's financial success is weakening.

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Short Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#2 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:20 AM

Maybe it's "a sign that the AT's financial success is weakening", but I expect it's more a sign that September is low season and Amtrak has seats that would otherwise (and might anyway) be vacant.

#3 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:06 PM

FWIW, that advertised fare is a whopping $16 (or about 17%) below the Saver Fare.  <yawn>

Edited by niemi24s, 10 August 2017 - 02:08 PM.

#4 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:11 PM

School is starting for most of the East, it is way to early for snow birds. It's still warm here and too hot there. It is a soft month for Florida travel. Look at the roomette and bedroom prices, what does that say about the loading?

#5 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,507 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:23 PM

Sales on the Auto Train (and other routes) are nothing new. It's a sign that Amtrak is continuing to do business as usual.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#6 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,742 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:43 PM

The demographics of the the Autotrain audience is probably changing. While there will always be travelers on this route,the large core group of "snowbirds" that take the train may be thinning. The "snowbirds" that compose an important A/T passenger group are mainly retirees that are affected by fixed income levels, relocation/downsizing, health/mobility issues, and even end of life.  I do not see this demographic growing.  While the train will continue; in the future, I cannot see it being as busy as it once was. This will probably put downward pressure on ticket pricing. Time will tell.

#7 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:11 PM

The demographics of the the Autotrain audience is probably changing. While there will always be travelers on this route,the large core group of "snowbirds" that take the train may be thinning. The "snowbirds" that compose an important A/T passenger group are mainly retirees that are affected by fixed income levels, relocation/downsizing, health/mobility issues, and even end of life. 

I agree with this. Additionally, future generations may not have the income to support two houses, particularly in an area that is extremely expensive.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users